Are glowplugs easy to blow?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Re: Are glowplugs easy to blow?

Post by MattBLancs »

Rhothgar wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 18:47 It’s all good. Point of this post originally was that I was worried I had blown a New GP as I shorted it out while testing voltage.
Assuming leads on meter to top of glow plug and other to negative/earth:

Bear in mind there's normally voltage fed in there, I don't think you can damage the glow plug, more likely of risk to your meter if sees big current flowing if say was on amps setting in error.

Assuming a positive connected "feed wire" to top of plug:

Again think plug is not at risk- if your positive feed found anything other than tip of the plug = earth and again a big bang that would be complaint from feed wire rather than the plug itself.
Coil on a petrol car has a resistor so worked at lower voltage than battery (hence resistor bypassed when battery voltage actually was low = during cranking) I don't believe the glow plug circuit has a similar strategy (i.e. it's not "designed" to give your measured 11volts as far as I know)

So blowing up the glow plug a remote possibility I believe.

I thought the wax stat did advance the timing too on the VE pumps (different than the VP20??)
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 19:13 Id the glowplugs glow at the tip they are OK, but if they glow further further up the element they may be on the way out. Make sure not to have anything flammable nearby.
Originals glowed about 4mm

New ones about 10mm

GP’s NOT the issue. Cad started 100% fine after new plugs for a month or so.
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

I thought the wax stat did advance the timing too on the VE pumps (different than the VP20??)

I even checked to make sure the screw hadn’t vibrated loose on the advance.
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

Just wondering whether to give the injectors a good tweak?

Does anyone know the torque they are supposed to be done up to? I’m pretty sure I will have replaced the fire washers when I did the head.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

Rhothgar wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 19:55 Just wondering whether to give the injectors a good tweak?

Does anyone know the torque they are supposed to be done up to? I’m pretty sure I will have replaced the fire washers when I did the head.
Whilst I have it open:
Injector to cylinder head 90Nm
Injector to cylinder head 90Nm
From the Haynes for ZX diesel
Mmm green
Mmm green

But reason I opened it was this bit:
Cold timing advance
Cold timing advance
Which reading again confuses me as sounds like a separate device raises the cold idle speed (on all diesels) to a "capsule" that advance the turbo variant timing too
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

moizeau wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 19:05 Don't lick them whilst red........or for several minutes.......
Good advice Pete :wink: :lol:

I've never licked them I must admit, but many, many years ago I did learn the hard way they stay hot enough to burn fingers badly longer than you might imagine :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rhothgar wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 19:47

Cold advance, working or not, will make zing-all difference to starting in the summer in the UK... Only when the brass monkeys are shivering might it have a small effect...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

Thanks MattBLancs for that info.

Jim. Whether or not it makes difference, I’ll look at it but remind me is the cold advance the electrical connection at the front or is it the wax stat at the back?

Like you say it’s not as if it is cold enough.

The waxstat only raises the revs so I guess isn’t the advance.

Changed file filter last night. It was intact but a little detritus on bottom of fuel filter from when I ran it out of fuel.

Not concerned about that at present.

Going to get some 4mm leak-off pipe this morning and change that. Looks a bit ropey but recall I only changed th a few years ago. Although it is cotton braided? I cannot imagine I bought that to maintain originality although I do seem to recall.
Attachments
63107B9A-7385-46AF-9B1B-67319FDA593B.jpeg
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

CitroJim wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 05:21

Cold advance, working or not, will make zing-all difference to starting in the summer in the UK... Only when the brass monkeys are shivering might it have a small effect...
Jim has said that, I personally wouldn't doubt his knowledge as now I know what CCC Citroenian means... And he's a lovely fellow, he wouldn't steer you wrong.
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

Rp0thejester wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 19:58
CitroJim wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 05:21

Jim has said that, I personally wouldn't doubt his knowledge as now I know what CCC Citroenian means... And he's a lovely fellow, he wouldn't steer you wrong.

I think you’ve misunderstood my question. I simply asked him to remind me whether the cold advance is the electrical connection or the wax stat?

I’ve now Jim 15 years!!!
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024

Post by Rp0thejester »

Oh in that case can you offer any ideas on how to slow his mph before I sponsor him...
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Rp0thejester wrote: 08 Jun 2023, 22:58 Oh in that case can you offer any ideas on how to slow his mph before I sponsor him...
:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: Lead weights have been suggested in the past :wink: :lol:
Jim