Citroen C5 X7 rockers- a blizzard might have killed them

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

APro
Donor 2023

Re: Citroen C5 X7 rockers- a blizzard might have killed them

Post by APro »

Seems impossible to believe but it took me 7 weeks to get all the tools and adapters I needed to finally pull the injector out and finally remove the cover (btw, this guy and a bunch of adapters did the job - https://www.jbmcamp.com/en/products/pne ... ller-54186)
What I see now is that all the 8 induction valves rockers are broken - all the valves seem to be at the same height so none of them might be so badly bent to get stuck. The fact that all of them are now gone but that at first the car was able to run on quick start makes me think that I might have made a bad mistake at some point and caused the destruction of all (or at least most of) the rockers.
I guess the next step is to replace the rockers and hope that our little C5 runs.
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Delighted you got them out, I am still rebuilding mine but I had to pull the head. I had half an injector stuck in it and two of my valves were bad and 3 bad hydraulic lifters. I hope it all runs well for you when you are finished.
Darren
APro
Donor 2023

Post by APro »

Managed to put the head cover back and reinstalled all the parts but unfortunately the engine still cranks with no start. It runs for a second with quick starter but nothing more, which makes me hope that valves are not bent and the problem now is something different. Still no communication with any of the ECUs, the car is unable to recognize the VCI (I tried also with a chep OBDII reader without success). I've checked the G37 fuse and the voltage on the pin 4 and 16 of the OBD socket and it has the correct voltage. The car has a new, fully charged battery and I was able to get out of economy mode for a couple of minutes by running the engine with the quick starter spray.
Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the connection back with the ECUs so that I can run a diagnostic to see what it the problem with the engine? does no connection mean either the ECU or the BSI are dead?
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

Possibly but I would recheck all fuses Marc might be able to give you a fuse box layout for the three fuse boards. It might be the fuse for the obd port is dead. I had no Comms on a 206 a few years ago but the car ran. Did you recheck your timing, you might be out slightly after the blizzard.
Darren
APro
Donor 2023

Post by APro »

Checked and double checked the fuse following this thread
viewtopic.php?t=57824
last time I was able to run diagnosis it showed the sync between crankshaft and camshaft was ok (it was after the blizzard and after changing timing belt)
I will try to reset the BSI one more time and maybe check the timing just in case
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

I feel for you, it's a nightmare when you are trying to sort something like that for so long. I would fully charge the battery to make sure it's not an issue with it. Did you replace injectors or are you still using the same ones and did you put them all back to where they were originally. They are coded to ECU.
Darren
APro
Donor 2023

Post by APro »

I cleaned the old injectors and placed them back in the exact same order (with new copper seals.) I managed to get connection with the cheapo OBD scanner - was able to read some parameters (fuel pressure was 300 bar) and do a DTC diagnosis that reported no errors (weird.) I guess the problem was on the AliExpress VCI cable I used to connect to diagbox, trying to get hold of a legit VCI now so I can have a better overview of what is going on with the engine.
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

You need one with a full chipset for the C5 x7. There's a company in the UK easydiagnostics you should try. He is pretty good. There must be something to do with timing or compression causing the no start. Did you try a compression test. Double check you primed the injectors the lines could be air locked and still have correct fuel pressure.the only other thing I think of is you damaged the injectors with the pneumatic puller, hopefully not. Does she crank ok.
Darren
APro
Donor 2023

Post by APro »

I checked easy diagnostics but they are out of stock unfortunately. I didn't do a compression test but wouldn't it not run with quick start if the compression was an issue? I made sure to get diesel all the way to the injectors by cranking the engine with the lines unplugged - diesel came out from all of the so I guess no airlock. I can repeat the procedure tho. Only one injector required the puller, shouldn't it run with three if only one might be damaged?
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

She might run a bit with easy start and poor compression but wouldn't stay running the easy start has a higher energy content than the diesel so runs with it. It will run with three injectors yes. How well does it run with the easy start is it rough like a tractor, how long does it run for does it smoke badly?. I think you will need to source a new VCI to get live data otherwise we are just guessing it could be inconsistent fuel pressure or a dodgy sensor. I know you are trying to source but I don't want to recommend replacing parts without evidence. It's easy to waste money throwing parts at a car as you know. Maybe try emailing him about a VCI?

How many rockers were damaged if any?
Darren
APro
Donor 2023

Post by APro »

The run with the quick start is pretty rough I would say, feels almost like knocking noise. It runs for a couple of seconds and the it dies. The more spray I spray the longer it runs tho. Haven't noticed any smoke but it smells a lot like burnt diesel. All the 8 rockers intake side were gone.
I would definitely not buy any parts before I run a proper diagnosis, maybe I've found a used one here in Norway
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

It sounds like you have bent valves, possibly more. Good to hear you might have used VCI sourced. I think you are going to have to pull the head but wait until you have your VCI alternatively you could be looking at replacement engine. Snow may have gotten into cylinders and hydrolocked it damage possiblity is high if this is the case . Hopefully not and it's just a few bad injectors
Darren