BX Front Suspension pivot bearings

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beano
My Cars:

BX Front Suspension pivot bearings

Post by beano »

Need some help with a few questions concerning the above.
Have found the front suspension arm bushes need replacing which seems straight forward, however the Haynes manual suggests that the subframe pivot bearings might also need replacing but this should only be done by a citroen garage as the bearing free play needs to carried out using special tools. Is this the case, can it be done quite easily by the home mechanic, if so can anybody point me in the right direction.
Where can I get hold of a set of bearings or kit rarther than pay a high price for Citroen parts.??????
Any help would be appreciated.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

What year is your car?
Front suspension arm bushes=subframe pivot bearings-are you talking about the same thing in different guises?
Unless its an early one it won't have the bearings; they were replaced by bushes quite early on, but I can't remember the year.
Look in your Haynes book; go to the supplement section at the back of the book and it shows the later arrangement and will tell you from what year it started; unfortunately I am at work[xx(]so can't check in mine!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You're right BxBodger -
The bearings on BX front arms were discontinued very early, approx '84/'85 models on. Later production models ONLY have rubber bushings.
Beano :
Haynes shows a special tool removing/fitting the bushings, but it is in fact quite easy, fast & cheap making up your own purpose tool.
The idea is to make use of the long bolt which holds the control arm, and then using bits of water pipe cut to suitable lenghts.
fastest option removing old busings is to drill a large (or 2) hole through the rubber, then insert a hacksaw blade cutting out the rubber and center bushing. Then you simply hacksaw a slit in the outer bushing sleeve and tap out the remnants.
When pressing in the new bushings, observe that the bushings are different to fit each leg on the control arm. Only apply pressure one leg at a time, do not use both legs to press in each bushings, as the control arm MAY in fact snap !
beano
My Cars:

Post by beano »

BxBodger and Anders(DK)
Thanks for your help _ found the info in the supplement as suggested as car is 91 TZD Turbo. That hopefully will save both time and money.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

As Anders says these bushes have steel outer sleeves. You may be able to make them easier to fit to the arms by deep freezing them which will have the effect of contracting the outer sleeves slightly and make them looser fits. They will quickly assume normal temperature and will certainly be fully expanded by the time you have finished the site.
I successfully used this technique when replacing the bottom engine mount on my BX (and the hacksay trick) and was able to do the whole job without removing the housing from the engine.
jeremy