Towing with a Citroen BX td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Class wins in 1987,bx19dt,bx19gti,1989 bxdtr turbo.Couldent find anything before 1987.
Xantia TCOY in 1994,1.9td,v6 1998.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hang on,
does as 16' van over there include the drawbar ?? That makes a big difference, out here a 16' van is the size of the van itself not including the drawbar.
Out here to get the tow hitch strength to tow a 1300kg 16" pop top caravan you need the likes of a Citroen CX sized car. My fater uses a 3.5litre quad over cam V6 Mitsubishi Verada, most use 3+ tonne turbo diesel LandCruisers or 5 litre V8 Commodores (Opel Senators).
The Xantia will tow the super light wieght 16' and under caravans. I'd never dream of towing a big caravan with the BX (personaly), it's just to light.
I'm starting to think our caravans are of very different weight/construction :).
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Now it makes sense [:D]
I've just been net surfing your caravan for sale adds over in the UK. Your caravans are very different. Very light weight and appear to have some funny little drawbar on the front.
To give you an idea why I was so concerned about you talking about towing a 16-17' van with a BX. This is an VERY average 17' long van out here:
Full length Gal dipped chassis, front boot, twin axles with heavy duty springs and 6 stud light truck wheels, twin LPG bottles etc, etc, etc .... This is the average caravan retired people buy, they are only 2seater vans.
A BX would struggle to drag one out of your drive let alone tow it any distance [:o)] A Xantia would struggle, a CX GTi Turbo would give it a good shot, a HDi turbo diesel landcruiser would be the best option [:0]
seeya,
Shane L.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Last year we investigated purchasing a touring caravan and the first thing we noticed was just how heavy the things had got. My recollection of my last serious contact which was late 60's - early 70's was that the weight was approximately 50kg per foot unless you went to the extremes. This would have meant that I should be able to tow a 16 ft van (body length) with my BX TD estate. I now find that this size weighs about 1000 kg so not only will I have to buy a van but also a heavier car - so its back to the tent for this year.
jeremy
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Unless you buy secondhand?? Ours is a '94 Avondale 4/5 berth with most mod cons (no oven or blown air heating but then we don't do many roasts in the van and don't go in winter)The BXTGD towed it quite happily
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Not only has a modern caravan grown in weight and all possible extra's fitted - prices has come up too - now approx the same as any suitable towing car.
Back to the s/h market - for a lighter & cheaper one [8D]
(except some are in fact very heavy because the woodworks has soaked with moisture [:D])
Or back to a modern tent camper, which also has grown in size, weight, possible extra's and the price. But still a lighter & cheaper alternative.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

My golden oldie van (Cheltenham Sable, 1960, wood and fibreglass and bone dry) is 13.5 ft long and weighs 780kg; my BX tows it fine, and that's a GTi. It is a little waggy (with stabiliser, but nothing to worry about - only in crosswinds) but the last car I towed it with was a VW Bora TDi which was 1300kg itself, so was a bit more stable. I'd expect the Xantia to tow it better, but a cheap towbar presented itself for the BX...
Shame the close ratio box gives the clutch some grief when taking off from the lights, especially uphill!! Oh for the wide ratio box of a TD..
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

We used to have a really old BX turbo estate. A wrek of a car but being Citroen you turned the key & it started drove & stopped, so it did us.
We regually used it for work where we would borrow a big box trailer (about the size of a small horse box) fill it up to the doors with Computer Monitors, and most of the time the car too!! And it just picked itself up, leveled out and got on with it. yep it was abit puffy pulling away & was probably doing more harm than good but at the end of the day, it did its job.
clivetheitman
My Cars:

Post by clivetheitman »

Do the sensible thing and get a trailer tent. I diched my old caravan in favor of a combicamp trailer tent last year, easy to tow with no wind drag from the body. it takes about 5 mins to setup from unhitching to finished and sleeps four on proper beds. even has a carpeted floor. best of all it only cost £50 from ebay. what a bargain and the kids love using it.[8D]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Exactly my humble opinion Clive [:)]
- have you noticed the savings on gas towing such a trailer instead of a caravan [8D][8D]
2ndtonunn
My Cars:

Post by 2ndtonunn »

Come on chaps Cit BX 1.9TD Estate and towing - It was bred to do it!!!
Over the years I've towed with many cars including various 'Granadas' with and without the hideous 3 speed auto and a 3.1TD ISUZU Trooper - Ok the Trooper was by far the best of the bunch - but then again it should have been, given the price etc. But the BX TD out performed the Granadas in ability and down right reliabilty - self leveling what a dream, only caught out occasionally by a twin axle caravan, when they are BOTH trying to decide what is level!!
Out of interest mine was a 16' (Body Length) Twin axle caravan.
The BX was eventually 'retired' with the expiry of the turbo - at 350,000 miles - all original and only one head gasket.
Its crowning moment? - After being retired from the road confidently moving 30' x 10' (10M x 3.2M) static caravans around in a caravan park!!
I agree with the points made by the other correspondents concerning the 85% rule, it is there as a guideline to assist in safe towing, but can do nothing to stop people towing with far too much (or little) noseweight which is far more dangerous - even with the 'magic' of the Cit's self leveling, regard should always be made to the noseweight it's not an excuse to ignore it!!
The other points are mainly servicing issues, keep the oil changed and a good eye on the coolant levels (ensure that it is coolant and not plain water!!) - if you are concerned about temperature fit an aftermarket temp gauge and/or a manual override switch for the rad fans.
Enjoy your towing!!
Glyn
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

OMG, you towed a big twin axle van with a BX Image Image
Were you able to get out of 2nd gear Image Did the BX break in half Image
Crazy, crazy bloody people over there. I know one crazy bugger over there that towed a DS23 ie 5spd pallas home behind a BX on a trailer. Must've been first gear the whole way, praying like crazy the BX would have more control than the 'DS' Image
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Now I know why you bunch of crazies think a BX is a nice big tow car [:D].
http://users.skynet.be/fa065234/caravana_2004.wmv
enjoy !!
seeya,
Shane L.
2ndtonunn
My Cars:

Post by 2ndtonunn »

Big twin axle van???? at 16' It's about the shortest tandem axle unit you can buy!!!
What sort of tape measures you guy's using...
And no it didn't break in half, the much held belief that the use of plastic reduces the structral strength goes to show how little is known about where it is used!! Just how strong to you consider the flimsy metal boot and bonnet panels are on a 'normal' car.
As for it not getting out of second, clearly the models you have driven have been lacking a turbo, or just badly maintained...
Oddly enough I didn't think anyone considered the BX a 'big' car - Interesting too the the Xantia and the 406, both of which are bigger and heavier cars still used the same engine - just increased to 1.9, Maybe they too can't get out of second with the family on board and a bootfull of shopping, negotiating the multistorey carpark on a busy Saturday afternoon must be a real pain!!
But Hey....
Glyn
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Erm.... to go back a bit, does the TD start off life with two fans or one? Citroen recommended that the normally aspirated 1.9 diesel had an "approved" conversion to add a 2nd fan at the dealership if was going to be used for towing. That's what mine had, though I never personally towed.