BX Tyres - Recommendations? - Now Gearsets!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JBUK

Post by JBUK »

Actually the 8v GTI runs at 21.2/1000rpm. The easiest way to up this is to change the 5th gearset - it takes about an hour. The 8v uses a different diff ratio to other BXs so the fifth gears from any 16,19 or even a 16v will give you higher gearing - around 24/1000. You will really notice this difference, unlike a simple tyre size change which will be imperceptible.
I can dig out and give you full chapter and verse on the gear sizes, ratios and calculations if you are really interested to know.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

...and I thought it was only 16V owners who wanted the TD gears!
Been consulting the BOL, and it seems to think that the 8v GTi has the highest (numerically lowest) final drive anyway, but one of the lowest (numerically highest) 5th's! Anyone with a spare 16V gearset???????
As to the correct gears question, any difference BE1/BE3? I can never remember which one is which...I have Reverse below 5th
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Also...I have a theory...!
Cars with small offset wheels (like Cits) like completely different tyres to those on large offsets (like Vauxhalls and Fords). A lot of other FWD's don't get on well with Michelins, but Reliant Scimitars (with their POSITIVE offset) seem to love the old MXV's. In which case... Kuhmo (sp?) tyres have been recommended; anyone tried them on a Cit?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Erm... have bought a BX which had Kumhos fitted - but can't remember which, and what they were like. Obviously made a great impression on me.
My personal bugbears were Fulda (tyre and tread starting to part company but with air in-between - result=horrific bulge) and the virtually unworn but horrible, nasty, slithery cheap Roadchamp tyres attached to some alloys I found on a gold BX Athena in a scrappy. Not very noticeable in the dry, but deathtraps in the wet. Knew they had to go ASAP when I found myself skidding on a slightly damp supermarket car park at about 25 mph....
165/70 Michelins seemed like a positive delight after that experience.....