ZX Centeral Locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rossnunn
My Cars:

ZX Centeral Locking

Post by rossnunn »

Ok I'm holding my hands up.
I'm in the process of fitting a alarm to my ZX, no big deal - fitted it to my last one.
Found a hole behind the dash for the siren (was always a prob in my last one) started to wire it into the loom running behind the dash.
To my delight everything is there;
Permant Live, Ground, Switched Live, Interior Light Wire, etc
So now I thought I'm on a roll and decided I'd wire in the centeral locking control, I hadn't done this on my last one, and this ZX doesn't have a Blipper or loom for it.
Now here is where I hit the snag. My alarm, a Laserline 830U, uses 3 wires to control the centeral locking;
1x Positive
1x + Pulse for Locking
1x + Pulse for Unlocking
this can also be switched to run on a negative pole type. I have browsed the Haynes Manual and with a bit of wire pulling found the 3 wires coming from the passangers door, one seems to run backward to the boot (its a 3 door) the other two through a multiplug and up behind the dash - i assume to the control relay. I have measured the wires with a multimeter and found the wire that controls the locking. If I splice into this and connect up my locking wire from the alarm using a 15amp fuse the centeral locking 'pulses' but dosn't lock.
Now im not sure if im on the right wires and closer inspection of the wiring diagram does not match the loom im looking at.
So my question is (phew!) does anyone know which wires in the loom on that side of the car would be the right ones? and does anyone have a copy of the wiring diagram for the centeral locking from the later haynes manual that covers N reg cars? (mine only goes upto M)
Thanks for reading all this.
Regards
Ross
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

bttt
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

this might not apply for you say it doesnt have a blip fir the remote central locking but just incase... when i fitted my laserline alarm to my ZX i wired the C/L to the C/L control unit located adjacent to the handbrake (under the plastic cover), if i remeber correctly though the ZX works with a negative central locking pulse, i then simply used my multimeter on the C/L unit to find the correct wires etc, there should be two yellow wires(power) and several orange wires, depending on number of operated locks, splice into the correct wire(find with multimeter),
hope this helps, its not very clear i know!
Dan
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

aaah right,
On looking at mine there is a small box next to the handbrake but I think this is the Pre-tensioners for the seatbelts. Do you know which wires - off the top of your head you used?? I'll go on the hunt for the c/l control box....
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

you'll be able to tell if its the C/L unit by the number of wires coming from it, i can't remeber if there wer one or two or i could have joined several, all you need to do is to feed a negative or positive(im sure its negative!!)to each orange wire until you get the correct action i.e. lock or unlock you might find you have to join several orange wires together to affect all loacks. the unit should also have 2 or 3 yellow wires from it, these are the power supply ones.
hope that helps!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

thanks for your help so far.
I think I have found the C/L control unit located to the left of the steering wheel, above the fuse box.
It's a grey oblong box with a brown plug, there are some orange wires, at least one yellow & two grey's. Its not easy to see looking through the switch panel holes!! & its got dark now so will confirm in the morning.
To be honist I have seen this box before when looking for a place to stick the alarm & thought it was something to do with the airbag so left well alone!!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Is this the box???
Here is a close-up of the wires:
Sure this is something to do with the Airbag / Pretensioners:
If that is the correct box, I bet you can't remember which wires did what can you?? [:)] If not it's dust off the multi-meter again....
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

rossnunn -
The device/box designated "Autoliv" is DEFO the airbag device.
But the first long shaped box is for sure the C/L, and schematic is found here :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/zxser/elektro ... entral.GIF
device designated 55 is C/L control box
Go by the pin numbers on the 9pole connector - as the schematic seems to be a bit off on the wiring colour codes.
Obviously from schematic, pins 4 & 5 are lock control inputs, active LO (earth voltage).
NOTE : check with a testlamp, BEFORE connecting ANYTHING to ANY wires [:0]
The lock motor outputs will have either earth or +12V feed "hard" feeded outputs to drive a test lamp.
The control inputs will NOT have "hard" potientials to drive a testlamp.
A testlamp touching ANY of the pins on the plug will NEVER harm anything, but INSTANTLY activates the C/L's once you touch the correct wires, as the bulb's internal resistance does not influence the control input's sensitivity.
This way you simply touch the 4 orange wires in turn, untill you find which one locks/UNlocks.
Testlamp crocodile clamp should be earthed of course.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

right so if I pulse pin 5 with a 12v NEGATIVE feed I should, at least get a reaction from the CL
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

hang on looking at the diagram, what about this:
Conector On Box | Connector On Alarm
Pin 2 | Switch the alarm you use a negative feed
Pin 7 | Connect the alarm's negative pulse to lock*
Pin 5 | Connect the alarms negative pulse to unlock*
These may need swapping - I'll check with a meter.
Anyone??
Ross
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

To repeat & clarify myself :
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">This way you simply touch the 4 orange wires in turn with the testlamp tip, untill you find which one locks, and which (other one) UNlocks.
Testlamp crocodile clamp should be earthed of course.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Use the Alarm's negative outputs to control the C/L - the 2 outputs you marked with *
- nothing else -
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

sorry, just re-read your post,
ok I'll give it a go & see....
Thanks for your help
Ross
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Sorted!
Went through the wires as AndersK suggested & found the Lock & unlock. Have traced the wires back to the original two behine the glovebox which is handy.
Thanks for all your help guys, I'll know where to come when I wire in the electric window / Sunroof side of things!!
Cheers again
Ross