Service costs at dealers.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Workmates 1 litre saxo, keys handed in, oil+filter change with roadtest, (We waited in the park) keys handed back 6 minutes later all for £160 pound, and then asked if we would like to book it in for a brakecheck, which we declined due to jaws being on the floor.
Ahhh warrantys don't you just love em...............
Jon

Post by Jon »

<i>"Anyway, any verdict on the HDi oil filter/semi-synthetic oil conundrum?"</i>
Well I run on semi synthetic with an HDI type oil filter (Purflux LS923)in my ZX, and have done so for about 18 months, nothing to report so far. I do this because the 6000 mile change comes up so quickly for me that I have to stretch it to nearer 10K, otherwise I just don't have time at the weekends what with the children, house,(blah blah) to do it every 7 weeks. I apply my usual disclaimer here (no, not about having 2 children! [:)]) that it works for me, but can't say its OK.
As I mentioned some time in the past when on the oil/filter change subject, Peugeot decided that in 1999 from RP8240 all service intervals would extend from 6000 to 10,000 miles for diesels, or 10,000 to 18k for petrols and introduced the long life oil filter, Purflux LS304 (then superceded to LS923) at the same time. The longer service intervals were conditional upon using at least semi synthetic oil. Absolutely no changes wrere made to the XU/XUD and Tu engines at this stage, I checked.
So, as far as I'm concerned, its OK to fit an LS923 to a car before 1999 to stretch the service intervals if you use a decent semi-synthetic.
[;)]
Oddly, Citroen did not make the change like Peugeot did at RP8240. Very odd considering that Peugeot build the engines.
Citroen say that only DW8 and HDi engines should use the LS923/1109R1 whatever. I should comment here that HDi and DW8 use the same crank, oil pump, shells etc as the 17/19 XUD turbo engines.
I rest my case.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Sounds like a goer to me, then... I don't do your sort of mileage, Jon (about 6-700 a week), but the advantage to stretch the interval by a couple of thousand without worrying sort of offsets the marginal extra cost.
Naturally, I guess in your position (GSF) you couldn't endorse changing manufacturers service intervals...
Jon

Post by Jon »

No. Of course I can't endorse changing the service intervals.
Mind you the last service my ZX had at a Citroen dealer was in Sept 1993 when it had the free 1000 mile service! Seems to have run quite well since really over another 139,000.
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

As I use Millers Diesel Power Plus in my fuel and have done for all my BX's & Xantias - never any injector or pump problems, I decided to use their XFD5W-40 fully synthetic oil in my HDi Xantia two changes ago. The engine is quieter, the oil doesn't turn colour so quickly and at £19.50 for 4.5 L its a good buy and makes oil changes at 6000 miles less ruinous.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Local main dealer had one of those oil "n" filter change deals on for £40 only lasted a week though. Think it's a sign of cutomers saying "your charging too much !!"
As for oil "n" filter change, I normally do it my self and then have a main service with an MOT to keep a stamp in the book. I mean it's not hard to do, is it?