Xantia blowing fuses

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sheldon6

Xantia blowing fuses

Post by sheldon6 »

Please can someone help?. I have a 98(facelift) 1.9td est. the rear wiper occasionly jams (worn cogs) causing fuse no 28 to blow. On this latest occasion i have deceided to remove the connector from the wiper motor to prevent accidently operating the wiper, however having done so the fuse is still blowing as soon as the ignition is turned on. The fuse also controls the indicators and the map light both of wich work when a suitably large piece of wire is inserted instead of the fuse. Is there a relay for the wiper that is possibly blowing the fuse.
Any help you could give me on this subject is greatly appreaciated
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

First off :
NEVER replace a fuse with a "heavy wire" [B)]
There is LARGE RISC you heat up a feed cable somewhere in the car, burning off the cable insulation, thus introducing lot's of mysterious electric problems/gremlins later on [:(]
When fault tracing an electric circuit, where a fuse keeps blowing occasionally, ALWAYS use a large wattage (headlamp) bulb instead [8]
The bulb will not light up if the circuit functions normally, but as soon as the circuit fails, the bulb will light up, immediately taking the shortcircuit power - AND - very clear telling you the problem is now present.
As you have removed the wiper motor connector, and the fuse still blows, it's very likely NOT the motor jamming.
Having said all this, I admit it may well be your Waterloo finding the problem, as electric Gremlins are hard to trace down in a car.
I'd start by connecting a bulb instead of the fuse (wire), then fiddle with the cabling in the boot door, possibly having the door operated to see if any motion causes a cable to shortcircuit.
This would point to a chafed cable in the rubber boot from chassis to door.
sheldon6

Post by sheldon6 »

thanks for your reply. I a weird sort of way the heavy wire did find my problem only because what you said would happen did. Having found all of the melted wires in the bood lid it was a simple rewire job, but i guess we all live and learn, thanks again
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

[:D][8D]
- we all learn, and somehow we get there, learning [:p]
Enjoy your nice Estate [:p]
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sheldon6</i>

thanks for your reply. I a weird sort of way the heavy wire did find my problem only because what you said would happen did. Having found all of the melted wires in the bood lid it was a simple rewire job, but i guess we all live and learn, thanks again
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Do you know that ALL the melted wires are all in the boot lid?
JohnW