ZX 1.9d injectors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sparks

ZX 1.9d injectors

Post by sparks »

Just a bit of info wanted, Am I right that you cant fit Bosch injectors on an engine with a Lucas/Roto pump, What happens if I do? Anyone ever fitted the 1.7 BX turbo engine into a ZX?
Cheers all
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Depends on the opening pressure of the Lucas injectors (which are usualy a bit lower than the Bosch ones) and the pump timing, substituting a higher opening pressure injector for a lower pressure one will retard the injection timing slightly, this will cause a drop in preformance, assuming the pump timing is allready optimised for lower opening pressure injectors.
Dave
Knicker's, that reads wrong, meant that removing the lower pressure injector and replacing with a higher pressure one would retard the timing.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Translating DaveBurns very dense & informative answer :
Fit Bosch injectors with Bosch pump, and Lucas injectors with Lucas/Roto pump, - ONLY [;)]
Donno if the BX 17TD lump would fit in a ZX engine bay. Basically it's same engine type/construction, but a ZX TD engine would be a later development, possibly fitting a smaller engine bay space.
sparks

Post by sparks »

cheers guys thats what I thought, one day I will get the hang of these small engines, are french mechanics double jointed or do they always make nuts and bolts this hard to get to????
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

All cars have their specialties [:D]
I've had Morris (BLMC), Simca (Chrysler), Opel (Vauxhall), Austin (BLMC), and now Citroens (14y's).
All had/have their weird/odd technical solutions which caused much grief to get around. Citroens are no worse than others, just different [:p]
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I do know that a BX17TD lump fits in a Xantia, so don't think there would be any reason it won't fit in a ZX either.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the most difficult part will be arranging for the ancilliaries drives. remember the BX has only an alternator driven off the front of the crankshaft, while the ZX has power steering as well and has a long belt with a tensioner pulley. The ZX also has a brake vacuum pump dreiven either directly or indirectly off the camshaft and I do not know if the drives are the same.
Much easier to use a proper engine for a ZX or have a look at a Peugeot.
having fitted a BMC diesel in a Land Rover many years ago I know that the most frustrating bit is getting all the odds and sods to fit and work properly. (engine in and out 3 times to get the clutch to operate properly etc)
Jeremy