C5 rear suspension pipes & part number request

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aerodynamica
Donor 2021

C5 rear suspension pipes & part number request

Post by aerodynamica »

I'm beginning to think the C5 X7 is a summary of galvanic corrosion. I've never seen such rusted fixings on any car! and my 20 odd years of Citroen ownership has been with CXs and Xantias etc all 25 + years old. In comparison my 14 year old C5 has so many incredibly rusted screws, pipe unions, bolts where an alloy fitting or casting is the main structure.... very difficult. Maybe my C5 'Old Nim' is an isolated example though..

Anyway, I have finally got the new front to rear hydraulic pipe fully routed from the BHI unit back to the rear suspension Hydractive 3 regulator and I'm happy with that. I now have a problem with the thinner pipe that continues from the straight joiner to the rear regulator. It looks rather rusty and I am thinking it's going to explode at some point in the next 12 months.. This pipe with the part number 55305N is very hard to find! And the only one I found in stock in Germany can't be sent because they will not send to the UK (possibly brexit that I didn't vote for) so I'm stuck. The part number also seems to have changed for later cars because I only see 55305VN or VP and I don't know the difference.. One might be the C6 part number but the diagrams I've seen show a pipe that is identical to mine so I'm unsure.

This is the pipe:
rear hydr pipes with part numbers.jpg
rear hydr pipe C5C6.jpg
C5 X7 rear pipe.jpg
Anyone know if the pipe and fitting are still available? Parts 2 and 5 in the last picture.
The second picture is the part they will not send to the UK

Slowly replacing all the rotten bits at the back:
20220806_154015.jpg
Incredibly the 4 bolts that secure the rear hydractive unit mounting plate to the rear subframe have all loosened! they look like they've been stored in a harbour for the last 30 years but all loosened and that bodes well for replacing the rusted hydractive unit and two rear L & R suspension pipes that I have ready refurbished. I need these two parts first in readiness before attempting to change the lot out. If anyone can check on the current parts availability of these items that would be great!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C5 rear suspension pipes & part number request

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A bit confused Graeme - your first picture is for part (4) and that's not the correct diagram as your build date is 11505 and that diagram is for later vehicles. Part (4) part 5270VF is still available from Citroen, £279.68

Item (2) is part: 5270VP, £191.06
Item(5) is part: 5280T3, £23.47

Both of these are showing as available from Citroen, all prices VAT inclusive.
aerodynamica
Donor 2021

Post by aerodynamica »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 00:04
A bit confused Graeme - your first picture is for part (4) and that's not the correct diagram as your build date is 11505 and that diagram is for later vehicles. Part (4) part 5270VF is still available from Citroen, £279.68

Item (2) is part: 5270VP, £191.06
Item(5) is part: 5280T3, £23.47

Both of these are showing as available from Citroen, all prices VAT inclusive.
Thanks Marc, sorry for the confusion - I just clipped the diagrams from google searches. the part VF is the RH rear suspension pipe but I didn't look correctly, it's item 5 after all. I wonder what is different with this part on later build dates.
KennyW
Donor 2022

Post by KennyW »

Graeme,

I've always thought pipes could made up with standard flare fittings and an adapter used at each end. The Citroen make up for the flares is NOT available. The savings would be worth it alone.

Kenny
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

aerodynamica wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 18:24
Thanks Marc, sorry for the confusion - I just clipped the diagrams from google searches. the part VF is the RH rear suspension pipe but I didn't look correctly, it's item 5 after all. I wonder what is different with this part on later build dates.
Items (5) the union (part 5280T3) and item (4) (part 5270VF) are the same part numbers regardless, there is no other part number for these Graeme.

There are other differences for item (1) the hydraulic pipe for example, specifically for the V6 engined models (2.7 & 3.0).
aerodynamica
Donor 2021

Post by aerodynamica »

Well I've spoken to the citroen oarts dept and an indie and they are completely unavailable - anywhere in Europe!

Not sure what to do when this rusty pipe pops
aerodynamica
Donor 2021

Post by aerodynamica »

Further enquiries for this part and it is absolutely unavailable.. I cannot persuade the German part supplier to post to the UK nor the Ukrainian supplier who only ship within Ukraine save for Donbas region. Fair enough - I wished them the best and support for them. My plan now is to make up a new pipe using the two original ends of the pipe and straight joiners using my 3.5mm citroen pipe flare kit and copper pipe. I think the rubber flex section in the original pipe is for the movement between the subframe and car body although I can't imagine this would be very much (??) so I'm making the pipe up with a coiled section like the old Citroen method for the rear brake pipes and hope for the (long term) best.. Here's hoping... I'll document it for anyone interested.

It's kind of sad that you can't get replacement parts for a car that stopped production 6 years ago but hey..