Is Infinity a number?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

User avatar
Rp0thejester
Donor 2022
Posts: 522
Joined: 11 May 2022, 19:54
x 119

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by Rp0thejester »

Woohoo, we got soon clever people here, but let's face it we are all thick idiots as we drive unreliable, electrically screwed vehicles.
User avatar
Rp0thejester
Donor 2022
Posts: 522
Joined: 11 May 2022, 19:54
x 119

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by Rp0thejester »

Infinity is the number of electrical faults that a PSA car can have
Last edited by Rp0thejester on 06 Aug 2022, 19:57, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
bobins
Donor 2021
Posts: 4608
Joined: 05 Jul 2012, 18:07
x 1571

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by bobins »

Rp0thejester wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 19:53
Woohoo, we got soon clever people here, but let's face it we are all thick idiots as we drive unreliable, electrically screwed vehicles.
No, we're not, everybody is just a product of my deranged imagination. I can prove it. :lolhit:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021
Posts: 12590
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 1726

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

In Sir Terry Pratchetts' book "Going Postal" a historic character (Bergholt Stuttley Johnson, abbreviated to B.S Johnson, then expanded to Bloody Stupid Johnson) somehow managed to make the New Pie, where Pi was exactly 3 (and not 3 and a bit) for tidiness. It worked (not as planned, but in a way that could be useful), but it caused other problems.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 06 Aug 2022, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Paul-R
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 5822
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 942

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by Paul-R »

Did you know that there are an infinite number of infinities?

Just sayin'...
MattBLancs
Donor 2022
Posts: 107
Joined: 25 Apr 2022, 09:03
x 32

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by MattBLancs »

Rp0thejester wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 19:53
Woohoo, we got soon clever people here, but let's face it we are all thick idiots as we drive unreliable, electrically screwed vehicles.
Ah, that falls under "glutton for punishment" different measurement than intelligence! :-D
User avatar
bobins
Donor 2021
Posts: 4608
Joined: 05 Jul 2012, 18:07
x 1571

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by bobins »

Paul-R wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:23
Did you know that there are an infinite number of infinities?

Just sayin'...

.... as I said..... Deranged Imagination.... the whole lot of you :lol:
User avatar
Paul-R
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 5822
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 942

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by Paul-R »

And that some infinities are larger than other infinities...
User avatar
bobins
Donor 2021
Posts: 4608
Joined: 05 Jul 2012, 18:07
x 1571

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by bobins »

Paul-R wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:44
And that some infinities are larger than other infinities...
Picture the scene - sitting in the hall, confidence in what you're doing because you're good at this sort of thing, then the invigilator says: "Turn over your exam papers, you've got one hour" Question 1 : 'Prove that some infinities are larger than other infinities, please show your working out'. :bigcry:
MattBLancs
Donor 2022
Posts: 107
Joined: 25 Apr 2022, 09:03
x 32

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by MattBLancs »

bobins wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:49
Paul-R wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:44
And that some infinities are larger than other infinities...
Picture the scene - sitting in the hall, confidence in what you're doing because you're good at this sort of thing, then the invigilator says: "Turn over your exam papers, you've got one hour" Question 1 : 'Prove that some infinities are larger than other infinities, please show your working out'. :bigcry:
Oh I know what to do

"I am a fish" 400 times, that twirly salute and then collapse in a heap!

(As per Arnold Rimmer, red dwarf) :-D
User avatar
Paul-R
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 5822
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 942

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by Paul-R »

S'easy.

Count all even numbers up to infinity.
Count all the odd numbers up to infinity.
Now add the two together and you've not got twice times infinity, that's impossible, you have an infinity that's larger than its constituent parts.
User avatar
bobins
Donor 2021
Posts: 4608
Joined: 05 Jul 2012, 18:07
x 1571

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by bobins »

MattBLancs wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:53
bobins wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:49
Paul-R wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 20:44
And that some infinities are larger than other infinities...
Picture the scene - sitting in the hall, confidence in what you're doing because you're good at this sort of thing, then the invigilator says: "Turn over your exam papers, you've got one hour" Question 1 : 'Prove that some infinities are larger than other infinities, please show your working out'. :bigcry:
Oh I know what to do

"I am a fish" 400 times, that twirly salute and then collapse in a heap!

(As per Arnold Rimmer, red dwarf) :-D
I'd bail out and take the chef's exam, because it outranks you - smeg for brains :lol:
User avatar
Paul-R
(Donor 2020)
Posts: 5822
Joined: 07 May 2009, 16:24
x 942

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by Paul-R »

I can show that there's an infinite number between 0 and 1.

Start at 0 and move half the distance to 1, you'll end up at 1/2. Now halve the distance you move again and you'll go to 3/4. If you keep on halving the distance you move each time you'll take an infinite number of moves to get to 1.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021
Posts: 12590
Joined: 01 Apr 2012, 09:47
x 1726

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Rp0thejester wrote:
06 Aug 2022, 19:32
I even put tobasco sauce on my chips to stop the kids nicking them when they were younger, they are teens now and still ask if my foods spicy!! I need Dr Strange in my house, bring on the beer!
Just be careful of the hard stuff!

User avatar
Rp0thejester
Donor 2022
Posts: 522
Joined: 11 May 2022, 19:54
x 119

Re: Is Infinity a number?

Post by Rp0thejester »

If Stan Lee can take it, I'll give it ago