TD Easier Starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnCKL
My Cars:

TD Easier Starting

Post by JohnCKL »

My 96 Xantia TD had difficulty starting recently, having to crank 3-4 times and stepping on the accelerator before it spurts to life. Checked the glowplugs, No.3 was dead, changed No. 3 and No. 4 as well since I had the pipes out. Also cleaned the air filter and fuel filter housing which still had some black particles despite cleaning out a few months ago. Added some battery water to the 1 1/2 year old battery altho the level was still above minimal. Starting improved slightly. The white smoke upon starting have almost entirely disappeared since replacing the faulty No.3 glowplug. However, the starting still needed 3-4 times cranking. Pumped the hand primer until hard, noticed diesel leaking from fuel filter housing. Took it out, found that the seat of the plastic housing has warped on the hot metal housing of the thermostat. Used sand paper to level the bottom of the plastic housing. It worked for a while as there wasn't any more leaks but 2 weeks later it started leaking again and also at the non-return valve, after having cleaned it properly. Bought some high temperature black silicone, stuff some into the outside of the non-return valve and smeared some between the plastic fuel filter housing and the metal thermostat housing. Cured in 24 hours, the next day, starting improved to only 2 times cranking. After that, tremendous improvement, the car starts every time in the first cranks (within 2-3 seconds cranking), even in the mornings and with little or no white smoke (since replacing the faulty glow plug). Hope this helps for those with difficult starting.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Yepp! - Air - can't live without it, can't live with it! (not in a diesel in any case).
//NiSk
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

The starting is faster than I thought. Its about 1-2 second cranking. Yea, air leak is fatal for starting. I think very common problem for leak at fuel filter housing.