DS5 no ignition key not detected

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cruiser786

Re: DS5 no ignition key not detected

Post by Cruiser786 »

Yessir 👍
jmar1972

Post by jmar1972 »

Hi
I am having a similar but different issue. DS5 2.0 HDI 180 prestige (2016). It’s not used much and started having problems with start/stop and then starting, at all, due to an aging battery which was replaced. The start/stop now works fine. But it’s still not starting properly.
After a long “sleep” (overnight) the car’s ignition won’t light up when you press the start button. I get the message to “press brake+start” so the key is detected but nothing happens. This (pressing the brake and the start button) goes on for 10-15 minutes with the message coming up until it just decides to start up. Then for the rest of the day it’s just fine. Starts first time and start/stop works great.
My garage says they can’t see what’s wrong as by the time they get the ignition going to hook up the diagnostics the problem is gone. They suggested changing the “under bonnet fuse box” which would be expensive and might not be the problem.
I can’t see anything online that is the same and don’t know what to do.
Thanks in advance
Jeremy
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Try placing the fob against the back-up key recognition module, then press the Stop Start (without foot on the brake) so it just turns the ignition on. This should reinitialise the fob. How old are the batteries in the fobs? Maybe they need replacing too.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jmar1972

Post by jmar1972 »

I don’t think it’s the key. No “key not detected “ message and nothing changes until the dashboard lights up after about 10-20 of alternating between just hitting start or both brake and start. Then the rest of the day it’s fine.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well it does need a proper diagnostic and some garages don't have the dealer level equipment, so I'd get it to DS to have it properly diagnosed. I certainly would not be replacing parts until you know for certain as that is going to turn out expensive and it may be something simple.

Marc
jmar1972

Post by jmar1972 »

Hi again. They are a good garage and did do the diagnostic test but it seems once the ignition is on there is no problem. I will live with it for now ( it has always started eventually, so far) but if it gets worse I will take it to a citroen dealer.
Thanks for your help.
Lbrisc1950

Post by Lbrisc1950 »

Hi, New member so hello to everyone. I have the same problem with my 2017 Ds DS5 2.0 180 auto. The car has only done 10277 miles from new with full main dealer service history. The car battery is showing 12.6v after being left for a couple of days, I also changed the fob battery although it was not coming up as low on the screen. Every single thing works in the car, when it is started just takes 4-5 min of messing around. This fault started when the car was left for just over two weeks with out being used. I have booked it in to the main dealer, the earliest date 21st of this month. anyone any ideas?....Thanks
Lbrisc1950

Post by Lbrisc1950 »

Update on problem, If I turn the side lights on and off and then press the start button, dash ignition lights come on, press the brake and it starts. Is it possible that it needs re-boot after the two/three week lay up? Like I said everything works once it has started, and has never failed to start, a little different to the original post.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Despite your battery voltage, I suggest you charge the battery as that is no indication of the level of charge in the battery. These cars have a lot of electronics and coupled with the ECUs and sensors that remain active when the car is not being used will drain the battery. I've seen this happen after 2 weeks or less.

If you car battery is 5 years old or over then time for a new battery.

Once you have charged it up you will need to reinitialise the fobs most likely.

All you need to know for the correct disconnection and reconnection procedure is here:

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

Marc
Lbrisc1950

Post by Lbrisc1950 »

Thanks for the reply, battery is only 14mths old fitted by the main dealers. I'm well into my 70s now so will leave it to them to sort out. It just seems like it is in sleep mode, it goes in on the 21st so will post what they have to say and hope it is sorted, because it really is a great car and not many of them around now.
Lbrisc1950

Post by Lbrisc1950 »

Hi, Update on the DS5, main dealer found the protection management unit to be faulty on the diagnostic check, new one ordered (£247) should be in next Monday to be replaced in the week, when they have a slot time. Hope this helps others with the same problem.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for updating your issue.

Marc
Lbrisc1950

Post by Lbrisc1950 »

Hi, Update on the ds5 problem. The part never arrived Monday but should be in in the next few days (weather and post) now for the next problem can't get the car to start after driving it back from the main dealer. wondering if the AA connected an OBD reader, is it possible to clear the code so the car can start? It's never failed to start until now, it's in park the electronic handbrake is on and steering is locked. If the dealer had said the car may not start in the near future, I would have left it with them. Thanks Len.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unlikely Len - that's the whole point of the lock. If it's not recognising the fob signal, then it's not authorising the release of the electronic lock. I'd see if you can get it towed back to the dealer.

Marc
Lbrisc1950

Post by Lbrisc1950 »

Thanks Marc, maybe get them to fit the protection management unit at the house. It takes about 40 mins. To be honest no idea how it can be towed or transported, with the electronic handbrake on and the trans in park position, and the steering lock as well. Thanks anyway for the reply. Len.