C5 X7: What parts are most likely worn?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fikse
Donor 2024
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: '14 C5 CrossTourer

C5 X7: What parts are most likely worn?

Post by fikse »

I can feel my '14 CrossTourer (only 70.000KMs) need a wheel alignement. I can also see left front tyre are worn on inside.
Removed wheel today to have a look for what is worn. I guess some must be worn, and I want it in "perfect" condition, before I put the car into wheel alignement.

So.... How to find whats worn... Not a big success!

I guess I'll replace the whole lower support arm.
#6 on picture here.

00070041.jpg

Its included rear and front rubber mounting. But the rubber mounting at lower out, the one marked with red... I cannot find any part number for this? This is maybe the one I suspect might be good to replace...

What about ball joints, lower and upper? I cannot find any slack in these? Any other to look out for?
IMG_20220716_115856.jpg
IMG_20220716_115838.jpg
IMG_20220716_114602.jpg
IMG_20220716_114557.jpg
IMG_20220716_114532.jpg
IMG_20220716_114521.jpg
IMG_20220716_114500.jpg
Life is a game - Just play it!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7: What parts are most likely worn?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Fikse

That part you circled is not available as a separate part, but the good news is you can easily get the bushing from an aftermarket supplier, like I had to do.

Are you sure it is this part that is causing the tyre issues? In my case, I had a metallic clunking noise when braking and accelerating or going over a bump. The mechanic had to struggle to shift the bushing in this area, but confirmed it was this part and as he managed to move it left and right, he could replicate the clunking noise. But also in my case, I had no abnormal tyre wear, so it may be this part causing the problem with your X7. You may just need the alignment doing as even a bad pot hole on the road can upset everything.

I've posted a few times about these:

viewtopic.php?p=644727#p644727

But if you think it's loose and want to get it done, these are the ones, - these are heavy duty so are more expensive, but you can get them for less.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-CITROEN- ... 2814670433
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
fikse
Donor 2024

Post by fikse »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 16 Jul 2022, 12:50 Hi Fikse

That part you circled is not available as a separate part, but the good news is you can easily get the bushing from an aftermarket supplier, like I had to do.

Are you sure it is this part that is causing the tyre issues? In my case, I had a metallic clunking noise when braking and accelerating or going over a bump. The mechanic had to struggle to shift the bushing in this area, but confirmed it was this part and as he managed to move it left and right, he could replicate the clunking noise. But also in my case, I had no abnormal tyre wear, so it may be this part causing the problem with your X7. You may just need the alignment doing as even a bad pot hole on the road can upset everything.

I've posted a few times about these:

viewtopic.php?p=644727#p644727

But if you think it's loose and want to get it done, these are the ones, - these are heavy duty so are more expensive, but you can get them for less.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-CITROEN- ... 2814670433
Hei!
Thanks alot for your thorough answer!

No, I don't have clunks, yet.
I just feel while driving and hits (small) potholes or manhole covers, the wheel is not perfectly alligned as there is a (slight!) movement sideways in steering wheel, I can also see my pretty new tyres, left front, is a bit more worn at inside than in general. Nothing dramatic, just typical out-of-alignment-behaviour. Only me who drives the car, and Ive never hit any objects who could explain why its not alligned well any longer, so I suspect there is some wear and tear.

Does the C5 actually gets out of alignment just by normal use? I know a few cars who is this sensitive, but this C5 is too new to me, never touched the suspension parts so far on this car. And I see its far more advanced than a typical McPherson, reminds me about the old CX I had, who also was quite sensitive...

The lower front inner bushings I can see is a bit cracked, the front outer lower... hmm.. its soft, and there is quite some movement, not enough to make clunky sounds though. Yet...
I could not see any cracks, but then I did not clean it and inspect it very well, as I already decided I want to replace it, without knowing this part could be difficult to find as a separate part.

It's about €200-250 to get a full allignment here, so I want to be sure all worn parts is replaced before. I prefer stuff like this to be pretty much in perfect condition, I replace parts like this long time before a MOT would say anything (car is just checked MOT without any hickups a few months ago).

I enjoy driving "inspired" in curves, so suspension should to be in good condition, and the tyres I use is way too expensive to just replace every now and then :-P

This is BTW main road (forget motorways, this is the best we get) between 2 main citys in Norway so you see its "interesting" roads here, demanding both suspension, tyres and brakes to be in order if you want to enjoy the ride... I recorded this 3 days ago, in my sh1tybox '06 Ford Focus C-max:

So.. Could this be all I need?
If I count correct its #11, #13, the rear bushing bolted with #16 and #17, and finally also the outer lower rubber bushing I circled in red, as you cannot get OE, bolted with #20 and #72?
If so, it seems quite affordable, I can get it locally, and I have all tools needed. The arm itself seems to be in OK condition, so no need to replace that for now.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

fikse wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 11:48 .... and finally also the outer lower rubber bushing I circled in red, as you cannot get OE, bolted with #20 and #72?
If so, it seems quite affordable, I can get it locally, and I have all tools needed. The arm itself seems to be in OK condition, so no need to replace that for now.
Yes that part makes the metallic clunk as the bush wears, it slips so as the weight of the car is flung forward on braking or on quick take off it slides about and makes the knocking.

That kit looks very comprehensive, but unfortunately they haven't provided a cross-reference diagram so hard to tell which these are.

But you are correct and my advice is to ensure all the worn bushes are replaced before paying out for tracking and alignment as this operation is generally recommended by Citroen when any of the suspension geometry / axle components are replaced. Otherwise it will have to be done again.

In my own experience I haven't had too many issues with any of my MK I, MK II or MK III C5s on tracking or alignment, but I do find they eat front tyres for breakfast! In my case wear is even, it's just the poor windy roads here and being such a heavy front wheel drive car I suspect. :-D

Marc
fikse
Donor 2024

Post by fikse »

Yes, these cars eats tyres, that's for sure. I had mine on weight... 1.9 tonne 🙄😁
I take the chance on this kit. There is another larger and double price kit with top and bottom knuckles/joints too (#12 and #14), but I don't find any slack in these.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

fikse wrote: 17 Jul 2022, 14:37 Yes, these cars eats tyres, that's for sure. I had mine on weight... 1.9 tonne 🙄😁
Too many Pølser! :-D

Marc
fikse
Donor 2024

Post by fikse »

Probably 🤔😜