I had a rather odd fault develop on the Legacy sat nav which I thought I'd posted about but can't find the post!! So basically the touch screen function went loopy. If you 'pressed' a button the unit would perform the function of the button one or two places to the left of the chosen one!! All display functions were working fine, as was the mapping but you couldn't enter a destination easily without second guessing the unit so I decided to replace it. I found the right unit at a breakers in Yorkshire, confirmed they would refund fully if it didn't work, which they agreed, and invested £90. It arrived the next day very well packed and I installed it in 10 minutes. It works perfectly so far so all good.
However the point of this post is to show what I have just done with the old unit. Because it was only the touch screen facility that had failed I felt it may be due to some sort of short circuiting between the rails of the screen. Obviously if it is within the screen it is dead but if it was simply a poor ribbon connection then it may be fixable. This morning I decided to have a look before binning the unit so here is the pictorial version:
Of course I don't know if I've actually fixed it and I have no intention of trying it in the car, as I don't want to stress the surround clips any more than I already have, but I think it worth keeping as a spare in case the replacement fails in the future!