DIY Car Maintenance with function over finesse!!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: DIY Car Maintenance with function over finesse!!

Post by mickthemaverick »

myglaren wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 16:40 Did Jim swipe half your lunch from your plate?
No Steve, in fact the kitchen swapped his chips for my salad so we had no desires on each other's plates :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

myglaren wrote: 05 Mar 2024, 16:40 Did Jim swipe half your lunch from your plate?
🤣🤣🤣
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well sadly today has been a day of self inflicted grief!! I set about replacing the offside lower control arm by undoing the two mounting plate securing bolts, no problem. Next came the rear plate bush bolt - problem, would not move at all so I moved onto the drop link. I only needed to remove one end from the ARB as The bottom is bolted to the arm I am replacing. Sadly no joy, it wasn't going to move easily so rather than waste time, as I did on the rear drop link, I got the angle grinder out straight away and set about the link retaining bolt. That is when I made my juvenile error!! I did think it was generating more sparks than last time but failed to see why at that point!!

Having removed the drop link it was time to turn my attention to the inner pivot bolt which has very limited access to the nut. It was as I was looking for a way to get a purchase on it I realised where the extra sparks had come from. ^%*&***&^%$£%^. Time to put the bits I had undone back together as much as I could and roll the car back from the garage opening so I can secure the garage door while I went inside and ordered a new inner tie rod, and therefor track rod end and boot, to replace the one that my cutting disc had become too friendly with!!!

Fortunately I was able to find the complete tie rod with clips and boot from Bilstein for a very reasonable £30 to be delivered tomorrow!! I then decided it was time to make life a little easier by buying a decent inner tie rod removal tool as well, which I found for £40 also being delivered tomorrow! I added a new tube of thread lock to the order to avoid discovering mine has gone hard and now will take the rest of the day off once I have sprayed the inner pivot bolt and rear bush nuts with the new penetrant which is being delivered this afternoon!! :? :( :shock: :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

We've all been there when angle-grinding Mick. These things happen to all of us.. It's so easily done.

Now, having had that happen, you know the rest of the job will go very smoothly indeed ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

CitroJim wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 15:04 We've all been there when angle-grinding Mick. These things happen to all of us.. It's so easily done.

Now, having had that happen, you know the rest of the job will go very smoothly indeed ;)
Ermm, for once I'm gunna disagree with you Jim. If you haven't been shown how to use an angle grinder then you shouldn't be touching it! I only say this as I use small grinders and big cutting machines with a blade dia of upto 2.2metres. The smaller grinders are the worst with a lock on tab, they scare me, let it go and it will still cut you up!
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

mickthemaverick wrote: 06 Mar 2024, 14:59 ...That is when I made my juvenile error!! I did think it was generating more sparks than last time but failed to see why at that point!!

Having removed the drop link it was time to turn my attention to the inner pivot bolt which has very limited access to the nut. It was as I was looking for a way to get a purchase on it I realised where the extra sparks had come from. ^%*&***&^%$£%^. Time to put the bits I had undone back together as much as I could and roll the car back from the garage opening so I can secure the garage door while I went inside and ordered a new inner tie rod, and therefor track rod end and boot, to replace the one that my cutting disc had become too friendly with!!!
From Bargain Basement Motoring yesterday....Sorry about your mishap Mick, hope you sort it out, but it would appear my little comment yesterday, may have jinxed the angle grinding job!
The Prophetic Falcon wrote Tuesday March 05 2024
I have come to the same conclusion as you on drop links Mick, spend the minimum time attempting the undoing by conventional means, and get the angle grinder out, although one slip could slice into the mounting on the strut/arb or whatever.
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Yes I appreciate the comments chaps, I have two points to make. 1) I was trained in the use of angle grinders, power saws and similar tools as part of my engineering apprenticeship. and 2) It did not slip at all, it cut through the drop link bolt cleanly as I expected the problem occurred because I simply didn't notice the back edge of the disc kissing the tie rod because from my correct stable holding position the rod was masked by the side panel on my safety goggles!! :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

That nice Amazon chap did his usual 30 minutes ago, deposited my parcels in the alley next to the front door without ringing the bell and then climbed into his van and sent me an email saying my parts had been delivered!! Anyhow I opened them up, all Bilstein and checked all is as it should be, it is:
The complete tie rod
The complete tie rod
I then opened the other box to examine the installation tool:
Inner tie rod tool
Inner tie rod tool
I am quite impressed with the quality of the tool, it even has a locking ring to stop it slipping off, although in my car I doubt there is room to use it!!
Locking ring
Locking ring
Also in the box was my new bottle of thread lock so it's all systems go for tomorrow!! :)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent 😊
Jim

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

A mixed day today, two bolts would not come undone at all so employed many tricks. Got there eventually, went to install replacement tie rod only to find the end is too short!!!¬¬! GRRRRR Ordered correct end for tomorrow and set about rebuilding the lower control arm. All done so I had to replace the castor to pull the car back out the garage for security and will have to rejack etc when the new end is here!! Hopefully then just a matter of installing the track rod having set it to exactly the same length as the old one which is done using two g clamps on the bench to touch both ends of old rod and then fit new rod to same length,:
Length setting
Length setting
mark the position of the end and then install putting the end back on to the same point.
Short track rod end
Short track rod end
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Just a quick mid GP update. I installed the new track rod end without any issue and the car is back on the road. I am on school run duty for the next fortnight so I will leave the other side until the car is not in demand and it has hopefully revisited the dealer to sort out the console lights.

I then turned my attention to the MX3's coolant loss and discovered it was leaking from the top hose to radiator joint. I fitted a new clip and ran it up to temperature and no leaking. However it still has a random misfire which I think may be residual moisture from the leak. I'll investigate that further on the next dry day! :-D
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent, pleased your week of automotive difficulties are rapidly resolving themselves Mick :D
Jim

moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Here's a specially made tool
1710084343146.jpg
1710084343130.jpg
Then here's the reason
IMG_20231001_135145_4.jpg
More info at the weekend
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Pete I think you should copy that over to the homemade tools thread: :)

viewtopic.php?p=774430#p774430
moizeau
Donor 2024
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

You will see why I posted here at the weekend Mick. The other tools to be used will shed a lot of light on the reason why. Function over finesse. Whether it works or not is yet to be seen.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone