Dodgy Wipers....

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jason_306DT
My Cars:

Post by Jason_306DT »

Hi,
There is a brown relay socket, but no relay attached. Its on the bottom left of the fuse box by the steering wheel). Does this make sense?
Jason
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Yes, I think I know the one you mean!
There is a row of four relays - two purple (that are wiper related) a green relay (alarm related?) and a spare brown socket - but I thought only 4 pins were wired, whereas the wiper delay relay is 6 pin (allegedly - although I havent checked).
I've done a fair bit of investigation - including some diagrams, and "real" wiring routing - perhaps together we could sort this - as the wiring I have don't match the haynes manual!!
Jason_306DT
My Cars:

Post by Jason_306DT »

Ive just been to the peugeot dealer and they wouldnt sell me a relay coz they reckon its the whole motor. hehe suprise. But he did say that the relay is built into or onto the wiper motor. I know you've looked and didnt find it so that cant be true...
Im gonna take my wiper switch off tomorrow to mess with that but im quite sure its a relay thing. But where is this mystical relay???
As you say, between us we might just be able to sort it out.
Jason
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Funny that... I'm almost at the point of buying a 2nd hand motor to see if it solves it...
But i'm convinced its a relay issue too!!
The two purple relays are wierdly wired too - i've got a piccy of it but no way to post it here!
I took my wiper stalk switch off, but couldn't trace where the fast speed wire went - if we find that wire I think we'll find the mysterious relay!!
I have some diagrams of the switch and relay that may be helpful to you - send me a mail at:
andyspares "at" theskinners.org.uk
and i'll send them to you (replace "at" with @)
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

I gave my friendly Peugeot dealer a ring, and got the following information....
There is a front wiper delay relay - light blue in colour, about 1 1/2" high, costs £34.51 inc VAT
There was a known problem with the wiper motors burning out, so later motors have a resistor in series to prevent this - this seems to be the reason they say "change the wiper motor" as soon as you state problems with the front wipers! A new motor is £172 inc VAT!
The spares man I talked to didn't really know where the relay sat, but thought that on some models some relays are mounted on the back of the fuseboard - seems unlikely to me, but its somewhere to check!
According to the haynes manual, it should be a 6 pin relay, so it should be fairly obvious when I find the right socket - I'll let you know what I find!
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Nope - no relay socket there...
In desperation, I took out the rear wiper relay (is exactly the same as front wiper relay i'm assured, and the pinout is exactly the same, the wiring at the rear seems to confirm it is the same!) and took piccys of it and the socket.
The socket looks quite different from the normal relay sockets, having the same five pin arrangement, but four smaller pin positions in the corners (as one pin blade on the relay is half the width of the others).
I have piccys of both relay and socket - can anyone tell me where on the car I can find this???
Jason_306DT
My Cars:

Post by Jason_306DT »

Ive found somet that could be it.. im not sure, its hard to get to. Put your head in the foot well and look up behind the steering column. There is a dark blue/purple relay up there on its own, away fromt eh fuse box relays. Its a bit fidly to get to so i dont wana yank it out case i cant get it abck in agen.
Im thinkin of gettin a 2nd hand motor 2. New ones on here are £65 i think, but there must be plenty of 306 in breakers.
jason
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

If you're after a new motor- I can probably source one for you at around £35...
Jason_306DT
My Cars:

Post by Jason_306DT »

I think replacing the motor is the only option at the moment. If you can get one for that price, im interested. Are you gona replace yours or you still hunting the myth that is the front wiper relay lol. Ive given up lookin for it.
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

I'm going to replace mine on the view that at least I've ruled out the option if it still fails - and I can flog it on Ebay etc if I find I don't need it!
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

I've had a good old look around and I can't find any relay lurking behind the steering wheel column!
I'm gonna change my motor- but I can't really see that its going to make any difference...
r_306_XSi
My Cars:

Post by r_306_XSi »

Well, as suspected, a new wiper motor made no difference!
I'm now 100% sure its the wiper relay at fault - I have a new one from the scrappy, but unsure where it lives...
If anyone needs a new wiper motor - drop me a line!