BX sinking and slow STOP extinguish

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AWG
My Cars:

BX sinking and slow STOP extinguish

Post by AWG »

I have noticed that my parents' J reg 1.6 auto BX sinks substantially very soon after switch off (30 min or so). Additionally when starting in the morning the STOP light takes a looong time to go out (>60 secs). Pump is ticking approx 12 second intervals. 4 wheel spheres were replaced 20k miles (4 years)ago but not the accumulator. My diagnosis is exhausted accumulator sphere. Should I be looking for anything additional?
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Anthony - does the whole car sink, or just the rear? What is the tick interval if you place the car in lowest setting? Is lhm level OK? Does the pump rattle?
As you see there are quite a few possibilities, most covered in the very useful BX DIY site. Do you need a link to it? If the wheel spheres are 4 years old they are potentially elderly too, though some spheres go on and on (reputedly, Citroen spheres last longest - as they should do, given the price).
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

Does it mean that pump is in bad condition if it rattles? I have 1993 Xantia and it rattles (I think it is pump, not regulator) a lot, especially during cold weather, winter.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'd suggest that you start by looking at your LHM.
When was it last changed and were the filters cleaned at that time?
Also does it still have the original hose clips on the return lines?
I have a TRs at present showing the same symptoms & I suspect all of the above have been neglected by the previous owner judging on the colour of the LHM and the sloppiness of the hoses where they fit onto the tank & pump.
Alan S
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I asked about pump rattle because this can indicate LHM starvation. This could be caused by:
(1) Low LHM level
(2) Badly-made connections at the reservoir->pump feed pipe ends, as per Alan S's suggestions.
(3) A pinhole somewhere along the length of the reservoir->pump feed pipe, allowing air to be pulled into the pump .
On the other hand, a rattling pump could be a faulty one, but it's worth checking through the above list first.