Today's County in the spotlight

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Today's County in the spotlight

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I have come across Milnathort in my virtual travels both in Carys where it is described as Mills o Forth.

It was home to young Laura Muir who has gone on to a silver medal at the recent Tokyo Olympics, and the British Record holder at 1500 metres.

It has a few interesting features as outlined here on Undiscovered Scotland and a number of watering holes, the most interesting of this...the former Cross Keys on those old Ordinance survey maps is now known as the Village Inn.

https://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/ ... index.html

and the Village inn has a red e-type in front of it.
Oops,  no the Village inn in Milnathort doesnt have a Red E-type in front of it, but maybe a C15 White Van.   Selected an incorrect image!
Oops, no the Village inn in Milnathort doesnt have a Red E-type in front of it, but maybe a C15 White Van. Selected an incorrect image!
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 10 May 2022, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Just a thought - when we have finished Kinross we will be halfway through the counties. Might I suggest a 5 day half time break before we resume? It is a very busy week on the football front culminating in the FA Cup Final on Saturday ! :?: :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

You sure the reason you want a pause isn't actually so you don't miss any of the Eurovision coverage, Mick ? :lol: It's OK, you can tell us :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote: 10 May 2022, 20:05 Just a thought - when we have finished Kinross we will be halfway through the counties. Might I suggest a 5 day half time break before we resume? It is a very busy week on the football front culminating in the FA Cup Final on Saturday ! :?: :-D
I think you have earned the right for a pause Mick with both the volume and quality of your contributions.
I'll leave it up to you to kick it off again and we will close Kinross tomorrow morning.

I'll probably reset the numbers at the half way point so the randomising doesn't take so many goes to get a new number, although I hit the bullseye with my last two.

We're on another few away days over the border from tomorrow so perfect timing for a half-time for me.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

bobins wrote: 10 May 2022, 21:11 You sure the reason you want a pause isn't actually so you don't miss any of the Eurovision coverage, Mick ? :lol: It's OK, you can tell us :-D
I didn't even know it was on!!! Just had a look and I see they have split it over 3 nights this year, no doubt to collect more ticket money and TV rights payments!! Sadly, as anyone who has seen my performances on Heardle will know, music of today plays no part whatsoever in my life!! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Meanwhile Andy1962 has a very nice choice of music for his little relaxing videos of his train layout "Kinross"

as he says on his youtube channel
A warm welcome to my channel from Andy1962, I hope you find something to enjoy!
Based in Scotland my train set layout 'Kinross' is completely fictitious and is purely for fun.
So in our little section of Kinross in the Spotlight lets just enjoy firstly

The Shadows and Wonderful Land for 2 minutes and 5 seconds

J.S.Bach Air on a G String for

And this familiar one...Vision on Gallery anyone?
Song Left Bank Two-14477 Artist Wayne Hill

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 May 2022, 21:44
mickthemaverick wrote: 10 May 2022, 20:05 Just a thought - when we have finished Kinross we will be halfway through the counties. Might I suggest a 5 day half time break before we resume? It is a very busy week on the football front culminating in the FA Cup Final on Saturday ! :?: :-D
I think you have earned the right for a pause Mick with both the volume and quality of your contributions.
I'll leave it up to you to kick it off again and we will close Kinross tomorrow morning.

I'll probably reset the numbers at the half way point so the randomising doesn't take so many goes to get a new number, although I hit the bullseye with my last two.

We're on another few away days over the border from tomorrow so perfect timing for a half-time for me.

Regards Neil
Thanks Neil I appreciate that, and a good idea to reset the numbers as although my last shot was first time the previous one took 5 goes!! Enjoy your roaming and recharge your batteries! (pun intended!) :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I have just had a very pleasant 10 minutes or so watching the trains on those videos. I have to say it is definitely more of an overgrown train set than a model railway being devoid of buildings other than the actual railway buildings and rather overloaded with tracks to hold all the rolling stock. Andy is clearly a grown up kid rather than a model engineer!! :-D I can also say that I think that is the first time I have watched any model railways running for 8 minutes without seeing a single steam locomotive in use. He has 5 or 6 mainline steamers in the sidings, A3's A4's including streamliners so a pity he wasn't running them!! :( :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Before the curtain falls on Kinross-shire I think it worth mentioning a subject which I'm sure hasn't arisen on the thread before. Back to the 16th and 17th centuries in the interestingly named Crook of Devon (so called because the village sits in a 180° bend in the River Devon) where we would find:
BFTW
BFTW
The details are here! :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Not far away Rumbling Bridge. Didn't know that it had a station, but up it comes on youtube as a first up suggestion for this video. No Shadows twanging this time just chuffing steam locos! :-D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumbling_ ... ay_station

But now its time to move on, or should I say pause at this half-way point.

____________Kinross-shire done_____46 done 46 to go________

I have started Part 2 in this new thread here to complete the other half.
Here endeth Today's County In the Spotlight Part 1. Thanks to all contributors :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I intend to put an index with links to each of the 46 Counties covered in Part 1 in the order they came out

That's the first 46 that came out the hat for part 1
and for the record the Part 2 47-92 links are here

47-92 that came out of the hat.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey