ADBLUE WARNING

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ceenine
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: DS4 Crossback 2.0l
C5 X7 HDI Exclusive 2.2l sedan
C4 1.6l HDI EGS
Peugeot 405 Mi16

Re: ADBLUE WARNING

Post by Ceenine »

Thanks Marc, I was obviously confused by those that purchased new tanks from sources other than PSA dealers and then having to get PSA dealers to instal. So it is Diagbox and not PSA dealers that is the point.

On a related but not directly on topic, it is an interesting question as to what component malfunction should be covered by either recall or warranty. I seem to remember that you commented somewhere that safety items, either replacement or adjustment were subject to recall whereas certain others would be reimbursed by the manufacturer as warranty claims. The latter items appear to be at the whim of the manufacturer when the malfunction occurs during the warranty period in certain circumstances such as my upper tensioner in my DS4 Crossback and UK steering racks. I guess no one has bothered to test the steering racks in the courts (the case for reimbursement and not the racks) because it is not economic to do so and Stellantis/PSA rely on this. The Court of Public Opinion then comes into play. Hence we get reimbursement in a somewhat haphazard fashion of owner claims of the Adblue tanks which varies depending on mileage, age of vehicle etc. including whether the car has been serviced by the dealer. On this last point, I fail to see whether a dealer has been putting oil in the car or greasing your door locks has anything to do with the failure of an Abblue tank when nowhere on a servicing schedule can I see any operation on said tank. Not that it can be subject to inspection anyway without pulling it out and employing a magnifying glass on the electronic boards. I can’t see this ever happening, not even at the fussiest of dealers. Maybe in West Wales. It has occurred for me to do so before my warranty runs out so long as it doesn’t interfere with my golf games, bike rides and many visits to medicos.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Bear in mind that for later vehicles (anywhere from 2015 on), the older Version 7.** of Diagbox are likely too old to have the software for the newer models and subsequently the later engine ECUs or equipment like the SCR systems. Even some of the clone versions of Diagbox may not be able to telecode / configure ECUs as they require authentication with PSA servers. The later V9.** Diagbox clone versions are good for fault reading and basic maintenance operations, but not telecoding of ECUs.

As for the other queries:

Steering racks should be covered if you have a PSA extended warranty - mine was when it went and was replaced FOC (Circa £2k) under extended warranty.
The same will apply for an Adblue Tank - if you have extended warranty.
Most items apart from service items are covered and the majority are clearly outlined in the warranty handbook.

Most of the issues discussed here are by members without an extended PSA warranty. Most of the cases appear to be either just out of warranty or well out of warranty by even a few years, but may have still low mileage and may or may not have a service history with PSA dealers. This then becomes a discussion with PSA and what goodwill, if any, they are able to offer. This is where the results can differ as no 2 cars are the same, have the same history, mileage or circumstances so is difficult to say what they are or are not likely to do.

All I can say from personal experience is that I do recommend an extended warranty if invited to take one out after your manufacturer warranty expires and f the vehicle is within the requirements. The annual cost, even for another 3 years can be far less than the cost of one component and the labour and certainly less than half the cost of a new Adblue tank.

As for getting dealer fit-only. It depends on your dealer, and they generally will only fit new approved parts. In my case I sourced an original Citroen boxed hydraulic suspension strut from Europe and had my dealer fit it for me.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Ceenine
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: DS4 Crossback 2.0l
C5 X7 HDI Exclusive 2.2l sedan
C4 1.6l HDI EGS
Peugeot 405 Mi16

Post by Ceenine »

Marc, that covers the topic very well. I must investigate the extended warranty. I have not been made aware of it here in Australia.

The explanation of Diagbox and clones is most helpful in regard to Tele coding. Unfortunately I doubt if my closest dealer is familiar with the process. I hope I don’t need to find out whether it is or not.
Don9
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

For any official Peugeot / DS / Citroen dealer it won't be an issue as they have to lease their equipment directly and always have the latest software and hardware versions of the diagnostics and permanent connection to PSA servers.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here's a good video on the inner components and workings of an Adblue Tank. The one used is from a Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner. As you will see, they had to cut some parts of the construction to show you the insides which are sealed.

The whole system is a fragile balance of keeping the Adblue heated and at the right temperature, in the right places so it doesn't crystallise, and the delivery system correctly pressurised.

Make sure you have the subtitle captions on if you want English. You can see why these are so expensive.

Marc