All Things Motorsport

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Re: All Things Motorsport

Post by mickthemaverick »

Personally I doubt FIA would dare fine them in the circumstances. I actually think they may have been secretly grateful that they were not there, which would only have caused further media interest regarding the situation which in turn would have deterred the attention from the true purpose of the evening.

There are similarities between the current situation and that which occurred back in Bernie's days which resulted in the formation of FOCA and the Concorde Agreements. I would not be surprised to see a rival international motorsport body formed to run motorsport (independantly from FIA) as it used to be, for the benefit of competitors and supporters alike with no influence from the media. That would require a significant driving force from some interested parties, any suggestions? :-D

There is a clear precedent in many other sports which have different governing bodies with different ideals, boxing, darts, cricket, football to name but a few!! :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Well the deed is done and Mohammed Ben Sulayem is the new man at the helm!! Interesting to see where we go from here:

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12040 ... motorsport
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Time will tell. We are definitely well into new territory now. Why do I have such a large sense of foreboding? Glad to see that some of the bad old days won't be perpetuated. Will have to wait to see what the new circus brings to town. You never know, I might be pleasantly shocked.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Post by Dormouse »

Just watched this Steve Nichols "history" - it is over 2 1/2 hours long, so not for the uninteresrested or anyone who wants instant answers. Absolutely fascinated by it and I am going back to watch it again despite spending 3 1/2 hours on it the first time rewinding some bits in case I hadn't heard it right! I reckon it won't be to everyone's taste or bent but Steve Nicols has opened my eyes to things in F1 I only suspected and a few things I didn't

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Dormouse wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 20:15 Just watched this Steve Nichols "history" - it is over 2 1/2 hours long.........
Ta for that, currently downloading it for later viewing :-)
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

bobins wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 21:17
Dormouse wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 20:15 Just watched this Steve Nichols "history" - it is over 2 1/2 hours long.........
Ta for that, currently downloading it for later viewing :-)
Likewise, I'll have a look at that tomorrow! Cheers Dormouse :)
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Without giving much away, the Haynes manual referred to was first published in 2018 to celebrate 30 years.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Been doing some Gordon Murray researching and came up with this.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I have to thank FCF for introducing me to to things like Tally Ho, Ivan Dutton and Allen Millyard so I would like to introduce you to Ed.

https://www.instagram.com/morr_ed/?hl=en

Ed's background story here is that he used to mine gold and 40 years ago he had to to abandon his Suzuki LJ10 in the mountains after a landslide blocked the trail to his claim. Fast forward to today and the Golden Nugget, as it is now called, has been recovered and is now undergoing a rebuild to make it usable for Ed once more. It is covered by 3 YouTube channels - Fab Rats, Matt's Offroad Recovery and Bleepin Jeep. It is American, which will put some people off right away, but, to entice you to persevere, Matt turned the Suzuki into a submarine, Colt lifted the LJ10 with 3 fingers and Paul worked on despite his father's death and the pain in his face was obvious to see. Search for the Golden Nugget.
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I see the can kicking has started in the new FIA F1 regime. A set of proposals are being considered to deal with the fall out from last seasons F1 debacles. Meetings will be called at some non specified times and dates and the official reports will be delivered to the World Motor Sport Council on the 18th of March. Why is that date important? Well, that is the date of the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend. Don't hold your breath!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

There is a fairly comprehensive article on the FIA report to be found on Sky's website. All I can say is you won't learn much you didn't already know and it's hardly worth reading!! 😟 here is the link: https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... ontroversy
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

How very refreshing to see that Sky have for the first time this season managed to confine their pundits purely to people who have driven F1 cars which is exactly how it should be for me!!!!! :twisted: :evil: :lol: :-D :-D
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

Will be interesting to see what fudge comes along for Red Bull / Aston Martin overspends. Sad that F1 is still mired in the same old controversies that the new governance team was supposed to get rid of. New broom sweeps clean? Must be Trigger's one.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

On that subject most of the rumour and predictions I have heard have implied that only the constructor will be penalised. Personally I think the Drivers should also have points deductions if they have been beneficiarys of the overspend in gaining their points!! :)
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)

Post by Dormouse »

I see that #F1xed is trending online and that the news outlets are already suggesting some kind of fudge is going to fed to us gullible fans. Can't wait!!!

I cannot understand why Gasly was penalised for a red flag infringement when they only threw it as he approached the rescue vehicles on track. Have they learned nothing from Bianchi's horrific accident in precisely the same kind of situation?

I am not even going to try and discuss the grey areas in the rules that let the FIA award full points for the rain delayed race. I have read them and you could run carts and horses through them. It appears they are open to interpretation depending on the circumstances.