DS5 Circuit Fault

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: DS5 Circuit Fault

Post by GiveMeABreak »

1) Has this been diagnosed by an official main dealer? - If so, there should be a fault code retained in the fault log (which remains in the log regardless until cleared).
2) If you have had this diagnosed with a generic code reader, then do not expect it to read all fault codes, nor those that are constructor-specific codes. Diagbox or another professional level diagnostic tool is needed for that, so don't assume there are no fault codes otherwise.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jmar1972

Post by jmar1972 »

Hi Marc,
I contacted you about a year ago on another thread about an ignition key fault, but I think this one is more relevant. I have a 2016 DS5 2.0 HDI 180 start/stop with an ignition that wouldn’t light up except after a long time of pressing the start button. I had taken it to our local garage and they said it might be the fuse box (£600 to replace and no guarantee it would fix it) which didn’t sound right as the problem was intermittent. Having taken it to 2 other garages they have explained that the fuse box is integrated with the Battery Power & Management Unit (french acronym BPGU). The part has been ordered but there is a global supply issue with no delivery date given. The car has been starting eventually up until last week. It now won’t start and when I try I get the “Economy mode” notification. I have used a multimeter and have 12.5v on the battery and into the fuses that don’t go through the BPGU, but only 0.6v on the fuses that go through, dropping to zero when it goes “economy” One of the threads I read had a link to a YT video of a Peugeot 308 that won’t start. Half way through the technician bypasses the BPGU with a wire from battery side straight to the outlet side of the BPGU and that starts the engine.
I am spending a fortune on taxis and wanted to ask if I could try this to get it started or if it’s madness to mess with the electrics on semi modern car. If I did it once is there any chance it might reset things to the way it was or can it even be driven that way.
Getting desperate
Best regards
Jeremy
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't have your VIN - Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff, so I can see what related system you have on this vehicle.

Marc
jmar1972

Post by jmar1972 »

Thanks for getting back so quickly. Apologies for the delay in responding.
VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Best regards
J
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

My first thoughts are to check a) the actual stop start button - in case that has just worn out, or b) as you have an auto box, your foot is required to step on the brake pedal before starting the engine, so the actual brake pedal switch is known to be a cause of this issue - especially as it is intermittent. I would ignore the supplies Protection & management unit at this stage until you have checked the other components.

Others with this issue on other vehicles found it to be the brake switch after a partner noticed that the brake lights were intermittent at the same time.

So it really needs a diagnostic with Diagbox on the system, but in the absence of this these would initially be my first checks.

Marc
jmar1972

Post by jmar1972 »

Hi
Thanks for your suggestions.
I have had it looked at by 2 citroen garages. 1st one was where we bought it but they gave up the franchise the month before so Citroen cancelled their order, so I took it to the next nearest dealership. They who both confirmed it was Battery Protection Management Unit but now none are available. I borrowed a multimeter and the low voltage coming out of the BPGU would seem to back up their assessment. In my opinion it’s also the cause for it going into economy mode, which it never did before. I think the unit is getting progressively more glitchy.
I get the feeling it’s a dumb idea to do what the guy in this video does. The interesting bit is at 13:05.

Thanks again for your time.
jmar1972

Post by jmar1972 »

Hi. Thought I would give you an update. I did bypass the relay on the BPGU using jump leads and it did start. Was thinking about wiring it up permanently but the garage got back to me and they have the new BPGU. It will be fitted on Friday. Thanks again.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Never a good idea to bypass these things for safety reasons, risk of fire not to mention invalidating your insurance, so better that you are getting it replaced.

Marc