Running on cooking oil?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tomjyoutwit
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C2 gone, DS3 gone now on a DS5

Running on cooking oil?

Post by tomjyoutwit »

Afternoon all,

I’ve contacted Citroen and nobody seems to know! I’m trying to find out how much biodiesel a 2011 DS3 1.6 110 and a 2016 DS3 1.6 can run on - can anyone here guide me please?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Running on cooking oil?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It says this in your manual:
The Diesel engines are perfectly compatible with biofuels which conform to current and future European standards (Diesel fuel which complies with standard EN 590 mixed with a biofuel which complies with standard EN 14214) available at the pumps (containing up to 7 % Fatty Acid Methyl Ester).

The B30 biofuel can be used in certain Diesel engines; however, this use is subject to strict application of the special servicing conditions.

Contact a CITROËN dealer or a qualified workshop.

The use of any other type of (bio) fuel (vegetable or animal oils, pure or diluted, domestic fuel...) is strictly prohibited (risk of damage to the engine and fuel system).
So not compatible with chip fat oil, but B30 is ok subject to special servicing. They should be able to determine which engines are and are not suitable for B30.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
tomjyoutwit
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C2 gone, DS3 gone now on a DS5

Post by tomjyoutwit »

Thanks Marc- any idea why no chip fat oil? I imagine it’s to do with the common rail injector?
ml11ML
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2003 C5 Break 2.2 HDI

Post by ml11ML »

I would imagine that besides the obvious direct injection issues like nasty stuff building up on the injectors and rings the main issue would be more viscous fluid causing higher pressures which the ecu would see and freak out about because it would be way above the values it expects?

The older engines that ran waste oil fine either didn't have an ecu or if they did like the early distributor pump 1.9 tdi they had no way to measure or adjust fuel pressure.

My mk1 2.2 absolutely freaked out once when it briefly went over expected pressure and instantly shut off so you would likely need someone to make a custom remap file or something like that at least.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Just a word of warning Tommy. I ran my Mitsubishi Delica on filtered chip oil very successfully for over 2 years without any issues because I a) preheated the oil before going to the fuel pump thus making its viscosity the same as diesel and b) I always started the engine on diesel and allowed it to warm up before switching over to the chip oil feed. Once my journey was completed I switched back to diesel and allowed it to run another few minutes before switching off to ensure that when parked there was only diesel in the pump, fuel rail and injectors. Using that modus operandi I got, in terms of cost, the equivalent of 75mpg.

However the warning I have for you is to check ALL your system components regularly for leaks. I had a very small weep from the changeover valve which I ignored. After a few months I discovered the error of my ways when it failed its MOT because the entire nearside front suspension and steering rack rubber components had dissolved into a jellified mess. The damage was beyond economical repair even had I done the work myself so I had to scrap the car!!

On the good side I took the car to the Monza GP and parked on a campsite where we were able to help out on qualifying day when the BBQ ran out of cooking oil!! :-D :-D
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!