xantia rear brake pipe twisted

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

saeedm

Re: xantia rear brake pipe twisted

Post by saeedm »

that is true
but i cant find that pipe to replace
and there isn't any tool to make the citroen flare in iran. or it will be so expensive

i heated and cleaned residue and polished the end of pipe to have better seal
Datadogie

Post by Datadogie »

I have a good flaring tool I have used many times. But as I said above, I have never seen the system Citroen uses before.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Saeedm, as said the repair that you have carefully done looks good, and will hopefully last.
To avoid damage to these small soft steel unions by using an open-ended spanner, you can either buy a set of single-hex flare-nut spanners...
Swage-nut spanner set.JPG
or make your own from a standard ring spanner, cut-out just large enough to fit over the pipe...
DSCF3944r.jpg
_____

Datadogie, the type of joint above is unique to Citroen, and with its rubber sleeve is actually designed to seal even more firmly under pressure. The tool kit to create the "built-in" swage (in several sizes of pipe) is available from a few companies, but isn't cheap. Citroen have used this type of joint for around 50 years now.
Two varieties of it shown here:
Citroen pipe unions.JPG
In both cases, the nut pushes against the swage, pushes the pipe end (b) into the component, and forces the rubber sleeve (a) to firmly fill the space under the nut.
saeedm

Post by saeedm »

unfortunately this rounded corners on nut was happened before me. some others have pipe wrench teeth marks.
i am using flare nut wrench too.
thank you