radio

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moomoo
Donor 2024
My Cars: Renault 1.5..Fiat Ducato 1.9TD

Re: radio

Post by moomoo »

Hello again,
Does anyone know why the original head units are so poor?
My existing radio is so erratic.....
Sometimes it will work ....other times it won't...sometimes it will crackle and be inaudible sometimes it will just go off altogether...
It must be a common problem because there's an abundance of folk seemingly swapping them.
If my existing unit would work correctly (just the radio!!!) then I'd leave it in.
Is there an inherent fault with them?...maybe poor manufacturing quality?
It'd be interesting to get the opinion of those who know.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Units can be simply poorly designed and built with poor components - so once they end up off the bench and in a vehicle they can suffer with over heating, interference and poor aerial connections.

Aerials - water ingress into the roof aerial under the base, filters down into the electronics and they start to get corroded leading to poor reception. Car washes are the worst for this.

Internally, the tuner (s) can fail and if this happens, then the 'diversity' function on twin tuner systems won't work properly, so it won't be able to monitor and seek out a possible stronger signal for the station you are listening to, so may need retuning periodically if you travel about a bit.

So all these may be factors on top of the quality of the actual unit. If there was enough complaints, Renault may possibly issue an aftermarket campaign to sort them out / replace them - as they should also have warranty agreements with their suppliers for faulty kit.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
moomoo
Donor 2024
My Cars: Renault 1.5..Fiat Ducato 1.9TD

Post by moomoo »

I know it's easy for me to say but you'd think a small aftermarket part/module that links the radio/satnav consul controls/and radio steering controls for these models would have been manufactured by now. One that copies the functions of the existing parts within the radio.
I was looking at another radio on ebay that has the same numbering and stamp on the label yet it has different connectors to mine.....it's the 32 pin connector that's a nightmare.
Looking at the connector and its wiring in the car it seems theres only about 10 wires coming out of where the harness meets the next connector so i'm assuming the other 22 are connected in a complex web within the radio.
There's nothing easy for the layman anymore!