Error "please insert upgrade cd"

This unit is the RT4 and RT5 system and is made by Magneti Marelli
Main differences between RT4 & RT5 - RT5 has Bluetooth Hands Free, faster Navigation calculation and on C4 & C4 Picasso only, USB ports and a High-Res screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

dazz
My Cars: Pug 407 SW

Re: Error "please insert upgrade cd"

Post by dazz »

I can confirm, that I've obtained exactly same CD as you mentioned from a dealer before problems happened.
This is the only CD which seems to work, as every single one is ejected straight away after putting it in.
Problem is, that I can drive whole day with it in CD reader and nothing happens. Screen is not changing, same message on it "Please insert upgrade CD". And I can not take it out, as eject button is not working. I had it in for few weeks in the drive, and one day it just ejected itself. Tried again yesterday and CD is jammed again, can't take it out.
So, you are saying that there are 2 possibilities.
1 - dirty / damager CD drive
2 - dying HDD.

I can easily clean the lens, done it dozen times when CD's were popular (before MP3 era)
No idea about the HDD, found somewhere that it is IDE not SATA. If that is the only difference I can take it out and test with some software. There were great DOS tool, forgot the name though...

Thank you for confirmation of the unit model.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Or the firmware has been corrupted from attempting to install the wrong version, or again the Head Unit may be faulty if it is stuck in an endless cycle, regardless of the dealer-supplied CD or not.

As for the Hard Disk, remember this is not Windows or DOS, it's an automotive variant of a Unix based system. The Hard Drive originally would of been automotive grade, but MUST be IDE not SATA. The Operating System used does not support the later SATA command set and if replaced with a SATA SSD, it will soon grind to a halt as there is no TRIM function supported. I used a CF card for my NG4 (different system to yours) to preserve the HDD and that worked perfectly as they use the same IDE / PATA command set.

I've never had the RT4 system, so can't give you specific help, but generally, the same applies - in that the firmware CD should create the HDD partitions if these are not present.

What is hard to determine is whether one of the chips is on the fritz from failure or an incorrect firmware attempt I can't say.

You could try leaving the CD in the drive and trying a BSI reset to remove the power and leave it a good 10 minutes (as the Head Units remain powered even with the ignition off).

BSI Reset / Battery Disconnect / Reconnect Procedure

If it's still the same, it may be better to send it off for a repair. There are a few places I know of that I listed here:

viewtopic.php?t=60781
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
dazz
My Cars: Pug 407 SW

Post by dazz »

Late, final update:

I've send unit to professionals, they fixed it. It worked fine since.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Dare you tell us how much it cost?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
davoxx
(Donor 2020)

Post by davoxx »

Sorry I never updated this. took me over a year to get off my ass and burn the CD and install it.
It took 30 mins, so had the car running the whole time, which was a pain coz the car was cutting out on idle.

Funnily since I've installed the update, the car hasn't cut out on idle yet.

Thanks for the help and expertise, coz I 1000% would have had the car go into economy mode and messed up the head unit.
why?