Out of Xantia Experience Steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colinhorsham
My Cars:

Out of Xantia Experience Steering

Post by colinhorsham »

I have been driving a 97 2L 16V Xantia Estate SX for a month now. Apart from the clutch going almost immediately after purchase, it is proving to be a beautiful vehicle that is more comfortable and enjoyable to drive than my 2 year old Ford Focus which is my 'official' car. If this is a typical Citroen then they are much under-rated.
The only slight drawback is the steering isn't as sharp as I would like it. Sometimes at high speed on the motorway it feels a bit like it is drifting off into a world of its own. A sort of Out of Xantia experience.
Do any old hands have any comments? Is it normal, or should I investigate it?
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

I've never experienced that or anything remotely like it in my Xantia. I feel there is no doubt at all that it should be investigated - brakes and steering are areas where no chances should be taken.
The next question, unasked but coming (!!) is what to investigate! "Everything" is the obvious response, but I guess I'd check all the mechanical things first. Hopefully a UK response (I'm in Australia) will come from someone who has actually experienced such a strange (to me) thing.
Good luck.
JohnW
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Colin, Ooooh, how you have may have opened a can of opinions here!
Assuming all checks out with tracking and any worn or suspect joints and this should be done with a high degree of urgency, my own Xantia Estate experience is down to tyre choice. On this forum you will find reams of opinion on tyre choice. I did until this last Christmas around 30k miles per year in my Xantia and have owned it from new. I have also driven others with a variety of tyres and keep coming back to the original Michelin choice. Same make and version on each axle please is a must. To be critical you should not run significantly worn and new on the same axle either.
The Xantia will follow the wheel ruts the HGV's leave for us but that is common with many vehicles.
After this if the steering is still vague then clearly there could be a hydraulic related issue but this seems a rare happening.
Can you check if there has ever been any reason to work on the steering rack at all in the cars past or possibly even an accident?
Good hunting and welcome to the wonderful world of the Xantia! Robin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Colin -
A very common - and often overlooked - problem : rear wheels leaning at top, meaning worn rear arm pivot bearings. This of course gives unwanted steering movements from the rear wheels and often gives a strange feeling of not being able to quite control the car straight ahead.
It's easy to test : have engine idle, handbrakes on, normal height.
View the rear from a distance of approx 6-10m. The rear wheels MUST be perfectly vertical and parallel to each other.
If any slight leaning discovered, the problem must be corrected ASAP to avoid damage to the rear arms, which is a huge extra repair cost.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I would recommed getting a 'proper' four wheel alignment (tracking) check done.
The effect of incorrect wheel alignment cannot be under estimated. I have lost count of the number of occaisions where I've bought a second hand car to then find it wandering and lacking the feel and accuracy I expect.
Make sure you don't settle/waste your money on an old style tracking check of some monkey looking through a sight glass across to a mirror on the other front wheel . Whilst computer 4 wheel alighnment costs around £25, in my opinion its worth every penny.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Whilst computer 4 wheel alignment costs around £25, in my opinion its worth every penny.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Agreed. I've recently had mine done, and to say that it transformed the handling and general road manners of the car would be a massive understatement.
Stu.
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

Colin -
A very common - and often overlooked - problem : rear wheels leaning at top, meaning worn rear arm pivot bearings. This of course gives unwanted steering movements from the rear wheels and often gives a strange feeling of not being able to quite control the car straight ahead.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I would second that. The only hydraulic cit that I ever felt wasn't properly tied to the road a speed had worn rear arm bearings.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

My xantia began to exhibit this trait a year or so ago, checked the trackrod ends as I thought they would be the obvious cause and found the nearside one had play in it, a new joint had it going in a straight line again.
Dave
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Lower arm bushes might have been worn out. Have them checked. Caused my steering to wander left and right when accelerating or decelerating.
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

guys,
when alignment is done, must the engine in a Xantia be on.Will it make a difference.
thanks.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The tracking should be checked with the car at its normal ride height. The only way to be sure is to have the engine running - I think someone checked my BX headlights for an MOT with the engine stopped - and thought they pointed skywards and then adjusted them so the main beam pointed firmly downwards!
Jeremy
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi Colin,
Several things may cause your steering problems :-
1,Jack the rear of the car up with the suspension in its normal position, with one hand on top and one at the bottom try to rock in and out the wheel. This will tell you if the rear suspension bushes are worn.
2, Are your tyre pressures correct??
3, Check your front tyres for abnormal wear, this shows if your tracking is out.
4, Dont forget the Xantia has got rear steering so the suspension subframe bushes may need replacing.
5, Finally this is one of the reasons why you own a Citroen, wouldn't your weekend be boring if you didn't have something to do on your car.
Cheers
Paul
captain_ouzo
My Cars:

Post by captain_ouzo »

Does the Xantia really have rear steering?? I wasn`t aware of this how can i check?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wrinklet1</i>

Hi Colin,
Several things may cause your steering problems :-
1,Jack the rear of the car up with the suspension in its normal position, with one hand on top and one at the bottom try to rock in and out the wheel. This will tell you if the rear suspension bushes are worn.
2, Are your tyre pressures correct??
3, Check your front tyres for abnormal wear, this shows if your tracking is out.
4, Dont forget the Xantia has got rear steering so the suspension subframe bushes may need replacing.
5, Finally this is one of the reasons why you own a Citroen, wouldn't your weekend be boring if you didn't have something to do on your car.
Cheers
Paul
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
MrXantia
My Cars:

Post by MrXantia »

Yes, the Xantia has passive rear wheel steering, which basically is some rubber bushes deforming a bit when the arms are pressed right or left during turning. This makes the arms turn a bit and the rear wheels are steering the opposite way to make the car turn easier. The effect is easiest to fell on small roads where you get a almost go-cart like handling in fast narrow curves. The Cit's are not racing cars of course, but the 4 wheel steering is working nice!
akojic
My Cars:

Post by akojic »

MrXantia, AFAIK rear wheels are not steering the opposite way! They do it in the same direction as front wheels up to the 3°. Can someone confirm this?