UK Parts situation.........????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linegeist
My Cars:

UK Parts situation.........????

Post by Linegeist »

I visited the UK (Reading) last week and thought it would be a good time to visit the GSF stockist for some parts for my trusty BX. Nothing too esoteric - wiper and cooling fan relays, a dizzy vacuum capsule, some caliper seals and a fuel pump .............. oh, and a nice new set of pedal rubbers.
I came away with - a fuel pump! Nothing else..............at all!
Now I know the UK's in a mess (that's why I left)- but jeepers, is it THAT bad? Given the volume of potential trade on this BBS for a Cit parts stockist, I'd have thought I would have been spoilt for choice, but no. The blokes on the counter didn't seem too worried either......
Concerned of Versailles!!!! [:(][?]
regards
BC
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

It seems most stock is held at Heathrow, I think (where the mail order comes from).
I believe the Birmingham branch is also pretty well stocked, but i'm sure Jon coudl tell us the best one to pop into for a bit more than a service kit..
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

In my 'umble experience parts availability in GS&F comes down to:
(1) Size - the French stock increased from near-zero to pretty good in Swansea when the local GS&F branch moved into modern warehouse-style premises.

(2) History - as with any company that's increased size by acquisition, there are individual branches/areas which had their own speciality (normally VW) and still play to it.
(3) Trade demand. If GS&F serve French service/repair garages in their area, you can be sure they'll carry the stocks.
(4) Individual staff. Always the most important thing. My new nearest GS&F branch (Paulsgrove/Portsmouth - largely VW-based judging by the displays/small ads) is very helpful - good customer service.
But - if you want French parts to be stocked IN A LOCAL GS&F branch, and are willing to pay for it, then I'd approach them regularly and keep asking/ordering. most businesses won't hold stock unless they know there's demand and it's going to shift.

I realise some of this doesn't apply 100% to linegeist, but he's perhaps unfortunate given that Reading was THE place to go for French spares, c/o history (Andyspares HQ).
Brian Oblivion
My Cars:

Post by Brian Oblivion »

If you live in France why do you come to the UK to buy spares for a French made car? Are the parts r/h drive specific? Or is the French for caliper seals et al a bit difficult?
BTW I'm not being clever/facetious just puzzled....
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Price Brian, price.
With the going rate for a 12 year old BX estate being around £1800 over there, Spares are very expensive.
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Yep, Tom's dead right Brian. The DIY market over here is miniscule - it's a culture thing I suspect, where every village/town has little blokes that do stuff for folks ........... including car servicing. An unfortunate result of this is that, if you're not in the trade, your parts cost a small fortune. It's alpost as if the established system is trying to reinforce the status quo .... the only reason I don't just drop my BX off at the local garage is because French garage workmanship is appalling (by and large of course) [xx(] ................... oh, and you get your car back reeking of Gauloises tobacco! [:D][:D]
Put it this way, if I save up all my parts needs for a year - servicing/pads/wiper blades/engine-gearbox oil/Antifreeze/etc - the price differential vis France/UK pays for my trip across via Air France. Mind you, it's about the only instance of reverse 'rip=off-Britain I can think of off the top of my head! [:D]
Having said that, there's no road tax, petrol's cheap and food/booze costs pennies by comparison. The only other reason I want to come back occasionally (apart from sensible parts prices) is because the best real ale in the world resides in the UK! <grin>
Thanks for the responses chaps - looks like I'll stick to mail order then - it's STILL cheaper than giving my local dealers the business...........[:)][:)][:)]