Heat Pumps, One for the engineers

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Heat Pumps, One for the engineers

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Nissan were pioneers in the use of a heat pump cabin heater. EV's don't have access to the vast reservoir of waste heat produced by an internal combustion engine.

World's first EV power-saving cabin heater
A heat-pump cabin heater has been adopted for heating an electric vehicle (EV), using less power than conventional models. It greatly improves power consumption when the heater is being used. Nissan LEAF is the first mass-produced vehicle in the world to employ a heat-pump cabin heater.

https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TECHNO ... eater.html

There is a little diagram courtesy of Nissan, always nice to have a few visuals :-D

Regards Neil

PS Just dropping this link here to peruse it at my pleasure it is a bit more detail about the Nissan Leaf Heat Pump.
http://www.nissantechnicianinfo.mobi/ht ... ntrol.html

NewcastleFalcon

Audi's parent group VW are also heading the CO2 Heat Pump Way in their ev offerings.
https://r744.com/volkswagen-offering-r7 ... -vehicles/
German car maker Volkswagen said it has started offering a CO2 (R744) heat pump to supply heat and air conditioning in its electric vehicles, one of the first car makers to do so.

“All models of the new ID [Intelligent Design] like ID.3 and ID.4 are equipped with an R744 AC and heat pump,” said Christian Buhlmann, Head of Communications, Technology and Innovation, for the company.

In a heat pump providing both heat and AC in the fast-growing electric vehicles market, CO2’s thermodynamic properties offer a competitive advantage in terms of energy efficiency compared to other refrigerants. It is estimated to increase driving ranges of electric cars by up to 38%, according to Sanden International, which makes CO2 compressors for mobile air-conditioning systems.
Regards Neil

NewcastleFalcon

In the flesh Heat pumps. Group of Holiday Cottages Craster Harbour
P1070758.JPG
P1070753.JPG
Regards Neil

Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I wonder if once used for a while they'll become as horribly noisy as the air conditioners in some of the motels I've used in the USA. :(

Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

The answer to that is yes. The better built units can be whisper quiet but inferior units with poor build quality and inferior specced parts all seem to end up rattley and noisy. Anyone who works on the top of buildings festooned with aircon cabinets will know exactly what I am talking about. I suspect that is why I was advised about noise levels when I enquired about installing air to air heat pumps at the local planning office.