Marc's C3 Aircross SUV, Rants Raves & Everything Else

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Marc's C3 Aircross SUV, Rants Raves & Everything Else

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well today was a glorious day! :rock:

Off to ATS for my pre-booked appointment and got rid of these nightmare tyres from Hell. :devil:

Now I have 4 new Michelin Cross Climate Plus tyres on and what a difference it has made already. Much quieter, and a smoother drive, I am really pleased. They will also work perfectly with the Grip Control System in winter or going down 'Cow s**t Alley' when the farmers are on a dairy / sheep drive where we are.

I was waiting outside ATS as one of the blokes was throwing his hammer about the place cursing a BMW trying to get a tyre off a little too close to my car for my liking so I kept well within viewing shot. Quite a stressful experience....

Any how, whilst waiting, an email came through from Ali, the field Engineering Technician at Bridgestone regarding the photos I sent him yesterday. This is what he had to say concerning the tyres for those interested:
Thank you for the photographs of the Bridgestone tyres fitted to your car.
Concerning the ‘cracking’ in the shoulder groves and tread groves (circumferential grooves); this we have seen many times in the past. (across many products, and most brands) where the top layer of surface rubber begins to oxidise and appears perished. (we refer to this as ‘crazing’, as ‘cracking’ generally relates to splitting after force or trauma during operation.
It is worth noting that as part of tyre manufacturers’ compliance to environmental responsibility legislation, there are increased restrictions on the materials used in tyre construction.
‘Crazing’ can also be caused by other factors:
• Extended exposure to sunlight. (UV light dries out the anti-aging oils in the rubber which give a tyre it’s tackiness and elasticity).
• The application of ‘Tyre Dressing’. - Used by dealer forecourts and carwash companies mainly to make the sidewalls/shoulders of the tyres look ‘more black’. These can be quite strong and some are even mildly corrosive if used consistently over time.
• Poor pressure maintenance during the tyre’s life. This causes over flexing in the tyre casing eventually causing tyres to prematurely age.
• Exposure to contaminates. - Petrol, anti-freeze, motor oil, tyre ‘dressing’ (used on the sidewalls to appear more “black”).
• Regular, but short frequent trips in the vehicle (lack of use), where the tyres are heating up, then cooling down over a short period of time. (essentially preventing the aforementioned oils from percolating/migrating throughout the tyre fully). We add anti-aging oils into the rubber compound, however for these oils to be released the tyres need to get to an operating temperature. If the tyres are not used regularly then the releasing agents in the anti-aging oils are unable to percolate through the casing and ensure the tyre stays subtle.
The upside to this phenomenon is that ‘crazing’ only affects the top cap layer of rubber, so is only cosmetic in nature. - This type of appearance does not have any effect on the tyres handling or performance, and based on the appearance in the image provided we would advise that these tyres are ok to continue running. However as with any appearance-based condition reported in the market, we always advise to monitor the tyres regularly.
In their current conditions the tyres will not cause any detriment to the tyres serviceability or affect the cars dynamic performance abilities. The tyres will most likely wear out before the crazing gets worse. If the tyres are well serviced and the correct tyre pressure is maintained the tyres will continue to provide an excellent service life.
In the photographs provided we can notice some extensive tread shoulder wear, this is usually associated with incorrect tyre inflation pressures for loads carried. When the tyre pressure for a specific loads is correct the tread will wear evenly across the tread. However when the tyre pressure is too low for a given load, the tyres will wear more on the shoulders, this causes the displayed uneven wear. Extensive movement in the tyre casing can also eventually lead to cracking and creasing in the tread grooves.
Finally, we fully understand that you have full rights to return the tyres under warranty. If you wish to pursue this route, I’ve attached our General Warranty Statement and official BTMA complaints process guidelines.
I hope this info has helped, please let us know if there is any more info you require on this subject to assist with your enquiry.
He has sent me all the claims forms and warranty process - but am I going to follow it up? - No. I can't won't go back to my dealer - they are in Canterbury and I just can't be bothered with the whole Carlos Fandango affair of the paperwork involved.

So I have kept the 2 best rear tyres that are almost brand new and will be giving those to my mate who has just bought a Ford Focus Estate that has the same exact tyres funnily enough! :roll:

So he can at least shove these on the front when his wear down and save £300!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Very pleased with the Michelin’s on the few trips so far.
319EFF1C-EC1B-45DE-8D8F-165DDDABDE2C.jpeg
4724887A-08EF-43B4-A366-44582E846FE5.jpeg
Loads of traction on these, just need some snow now…
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Look very similar to how the original tyres (Continental from memory) on my 107, which were borderline dangerous from the day it left the factory. Especially as the ABS was always a little excitable in that car at the best of times. When they were changed after a couple of years it totally transformed the car.

They had circumferential cracking through the tread bands on all four tyres, not much at all on the side walls though. Garage that changed them said it was a really becoming common these days. The rubber compounds being made so much harder to reduce rolling resistance being the biggest factor they thought.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I do hope you are referring to the Bridgestones that I just removed on the last page Zel!

These CrossClimates I've had before on the C5, although those were the first generation of this tyre by Michelin. The later 'Plus' version has increased tyre tread life and as they wear, it opens the stipes to provide additional grip down to the last bit of tread life, so they say.

I've never really liked the 'summer tyre' where they remove half the rubber you've paid for with those circumferential grooves (trenches more like). So I'm sticking with All Seasons for now - and when these need changing in a 2-3 years (hopefully) I may look at some other All Season brands like the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons or maybe one of the others that are gaining popularity like the GitiAllSeason AS1
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
31 Jul 2021, 17:03
I do hope you are referring to the Bridgestones that I just removed on the last page Zel!

These CrossClimates I've had before on the C5, although those were the first generation of this tyre by Michelin. The later 'Plus' version has increased tyre tread life and as they wear, it opens the stipes to provide additional grip down to the last bit of tread life, so they say.

I've never really liked the 'summer tyre' where they remove half the rubber you've paid for with those circumferential grooves (trenches more like). So I'm sticking with All Seasons for now - and when these need changing in a 2-3 years (hopefully) I may look at some other All Season brands like the Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons or maybe one of the others that are gaining popularity like the GitiAllSeason AS1
Yep, meaning the way the old ones had perished.

Sadly I never took photos of the damage it seems. They were Continental ContiEcoContact tyres though, date code only a couple of months prior to the build date of the car.

Michelin EfficientGrip were the replacements. They weren't great but were good enough, they at least did wear before they perished away to nothing.

Uniroyal are my tyres of choice these days. Falken I found performed okay but wore really quickly. Avons I've only used once and were thoroughly average, didn't seem worth the asking price.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Have to agree with the Uniroyals - I've used the Rainsport 2 and 3 on my C5s and were pleased with those. I found with the C5s, it never really mattered if I had premium tyres on or a mid-range tyre, they all seemed to wear at the fronts very rapidly. So I started to fit upper budget or mid-range tyres as I could fit 2-3 sets of those for the price of every set of a 'premium' brand.

I've gone back to Michelins for the Aircross, just to see what sort of wear I will get on these as a basis for a benchmark, so have recorded date and mileage. With less weight, I'm hoping for a lot more life out of them [-o<
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So tyres aside, I've now noticed the inevitable 'dings' on the paintwork in a few places :grr: no doubt from the excuses for a road we have here - mostly stone chips with zilch of the nice tarmac surfaces often found elsewhere :x

Part 1

So I want to treat these as soon as I can, but if I'm honest it's probably my OCD kicking in knowing and seeing the little white pin pricks in a few places means I have to deal with them now....
  • One next to the fuel filler cap - Dealer carelessness.
  • I think the dealership caused the one on the top of the bonnet near the scuttle - exactly where the driver's wiper arm would lift up - and has been caused without first putting the wipers into 'Park' mode, so scraping the paint. :x
  • Then there is one on the door edge - caused by me & the gale force wind that appeared a couple of months ago - which ripped the door out of my grip and forced it into the side of a caravanner with a palatial Winnebago 8-[ taking up 6 car park spaces! :mecker: (Well, I've got no time for people with 5* hotels on wheels - that's not proper camping. Unless you are trying to erect your tent with non-fitting spring joints that pinch your fingers, using backwards instructions in a force 9 gale in torrential rain in the pitch black dark of night, after 5 hours on the road, that's not proper camping.)
  • Then there are one or 2 small ones on the bonnet and one on the side - probably aforementioned stone chips for the bonnet and a psycho shopping trolley warrior for the one on the side
    trolley.PNG
So, rant over, the search began for a paint chip solution.

Now I've never had any success with the wretched kits from Halfords or anywhere else historically. It's either too thick, the wrong colour or just sits too proud and looks awful. I've even tried the dealer kits and these are just as bad. My last touch up paint was made up and was better, but just never looks right.

So this time with the new car I was determined to see what developments there have been in paint touch up kits and prepared to spend an evening with Google.

I immediately ruled out dealer and Halfords paint and narrowed it down to 2 choices:-
Chipex (CPX)ColorNDrive (CND)
Chipex Paint A.PNG
Colorndrive Paint A.PNG
So after reading various reviews of each and a few videos, I opted for the basic CND kit. Although they do similar kit sizes between the 2 brands and are similarly priced, there is more than double the paint content in the CND kit. Further, I did not like the sponge brushes that CPX supply - they are just beckoning to make a mess and I can't be doing with that. I prefer a micro brush, as my objective is to get the paint in the actual chip and not on the surrounding bodywork where possible.

Secondly, the CND kit looks far more professional - and provides proper cloths and towels for the job - none of those silly little affairs that a fly couldn't blow his nose in.
Both brands supply their proprietary 'levelling fluid' to level the excess paint, however the CND kit also supply a blending paste for colour transitioning if needed when applying to paint on older cars that may have faded. Plus they also supply a good quantity of Carnauba wax for finishing. A special blending cloth and a microfibre cloth as well as a sponge and levelling rubbing rectangle are also included along with a pair of gloves :-D .

I didn't bother with paying a few £s more for the next size up kit as there is no sense in ordering double the paint as it won't keep for years.

The cost was £34.99 and this included DHL Express shipping to the UK. It seemed to come from Turkey originally so, maybe this is their European distribution centre - luckily no delays with all the fires.

ColorNDrive Basic Kit:
IMG_3845.png
IMG_3846.png
IMG_3847.png
IMG_3848.png
IMG_3849.png
IMG_3850.png
Links:

ColorNDrive
Chipex

So all I'm waiting for is a night of deep Zen Meditation and a clear, dry day before I shall be begin tackling the job.

In Part 2 I shall put some before and after photos as soon as I have had a chance to 'experiment'.... 8-[
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

If the paint is anything like on our, or my Parents' 2017 Picasso, you are onto a looser - it's so thin it scratches to the undercoat soon as look at it. Which really stands out on our blue one as the u/c is white - which you might think is good for my Parents' white one. But no, that has black undercoat😜
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Cripes! It's definitely the white showing through, but I think this can also be the clear coat. I know on other vehicles I've put a bit of Mantis on and it's removed the surface clear coat scratches.

I wouldn't be surprised though - the paint is really quite soft it seems - and along with the penny pinching, maybe they skipped a coat or two along with my rear cup holders, glovebox light, and driver grab handle!!!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Time for a quick rant whilst waiting for the paint to dry on the car after using the ColorNDrive paint kit this afternoon.

Here’s one worthy of room 101: Cadbury’s and their so called ‘Boost’ bars.
C6214712-1E64-4866-A010-8D838F947525.jpeg
Boost my Ar*e!

Anyone remember when these first came out and you felt totally 💯 stuffed and sick after gouging on one of these?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

'Boost' used to mean boosting your energy levels (well, sort of), but now it means boosting Cadburys' profit margins!
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Probably got Jamie Oliver (dick head) in the design team. Mustn't eat too much sweet stuff. :)
mickthemaverick
Donor 2021

Post by mickthemaverick »

The only boosts I have ever had have come from a turbo and a supercharger so not qualified to comment here! :-D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Part 2
GiveMeABreak wrote:
09 Aug 2021, 16:06
So all I'm waiting for is a night of deep Zen Meditation and a clear, dry day before I shall be begin tackling the job.

In Part 2 I shall put some before and after photos as soon as I have had a chance to 'experiment'.... 8-[
Ok so I thought I'd tackle a couple of the chips yesterday.

I tried the one next to the fuel cap and the scrape from the windscreen wiper arm damage.

I waited about 5 minutes and 'levelled' off the painted chips with the solution, but I think I was either a bit too vigorous or the paint hadn't dried enough as some of the paint came out of the repair on the fuel flap chip. So redid the fuel cap one again and left it overnight.

Anyway these are the before and after pics so far. I haven't used any of the supplied polish or wax yet and may not need to.
Before
IMG_3905.jpg
After
IMG_3907.jpg
Before
IMG_3906.jpg
After
IMG_3908.jpg
I've another 2 to do, but so far I'm impressed. The paint colour is a perfect match and only a miniscule amount is needed. I just have to remember not to use the pressure washer for a week. So based on the results so far I can recommend the ColorNDrive system as a winner. :-D
mickthemaverick
Donor 2021

Post by mickthemaverick »

Looking good so far Marc! I'd be tempted to use the polish whether or not it needs it, simply for ongoing added protection! :)