Marc's C3 Aircross SUV, Rants Raves & Everything Else

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Marc's C3 Aircross SUV, Rants Raves & Everything Else

Post by myglaren »

I have had loads. Usually go for Sandisk and not had any fakes.
I do have some nameless ones too, all of which have been excellent.
Most from eBay.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I am leaning dare I say it more towards ebay for certain things now. But it's so important to check the returns policy and again, where possible limit sellers to UK only. Some of the products are identical but a bit cheaper when they are shipped from China, so sometimes better to pay a few £ more if you want a UK seller and quicker shipping. They then also generally have to honour UK selling regs.

It's also why after my 'buying tat from Ali Express' project, earlier in my blog, proved it was a bad idea to get anything of value from these people as the products were often falsely described and the returns process made it unviable, had I not stuck my ground and got PayPal to cough up for part return postage costs.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2021

Post by mickthemaverick »

Having been a consistent, but careful, ebayer for 17 years I have completed over 1500 deals and only had 2 go wrong. I did not lose money in either case so I am pretty happy with ebay in general but you do have to take sensible precautions!! :)
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I bought this from Tesco, £12.00 but £9.00 with the club card discount. The Zoe hasn't got a CD player so a stick is going to be needed if I want other than the radio.
I've been moving some stuff from old cassettes to the computer but that's as far as I've got. :)
Attachments
flash.JPG
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm looking at this brand in my comparisons as we speak Eric :)

I'm looking for 128 to 256 Gb and am looking at offerings from PNY, Samsung, Sandisk and a few others.
Paul-R
(Donor 2020)

Post by Paul-R »

I run every uSD card or USB stick I buy through Flash Drive Card Tester or H2testw (sometimes both) to check for incorrect size information or faulty memory.

https://www.vconsole.com/download It's been on V1.14 for a while but still does the job. Malwarebytes objected to the link suggesting it was a phishing site but I went past the warning and can't see anything wrong there.

https://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Sy ... estw.shtml You run this program simply by clicking on the executable file. It's a standalone program and does not need installing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks - I use Crystal tools for testing Paul - as I like to test claimed speeds. I never use Softpedia - as a lot of stuff they have is wrapped full of crapware from past experience - but thanks anyway.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So an update on my adding a second USB port to the vehicle project.

After initially fitting the new Fakra to USB cable to the back of the Head Unit, I was waiting on the flush mounting cable to arrive so had to drive around with the cable poking through the glovebox latch:
USB Glove A1.jpg
This is how the cable was left - routed via the glovebox latch.

After receiving a faulty cable which resulted in a USB over-voltage charge warning from the Head Unit after plugging in a USB drive that scuppered the mounting plans. That has now gone back.

I ordered a new cable and that arrived yesterday afternoon, which was too dark to go and attempt to fit, so I had another go today - and just as I had all the tools assembled, - it rained :rolleyes:

So I decided to attempt to remove the glovebox so I could drill out a section indoors. As it turned out there was no room to get a dremel from inside without seeing anything, so I decided the box needed to come out regardless.

A while later I marked an area and drilled 6 holes and used a cutting wheel to take out a nice rectangular shape of plastic. I ground the sides down with a grinding wheel and fitted the cable in - perfect fit. After the heavens gave me a break, I legged it out and managed to get the glovebox reassembled with only the loss of one screw - the bloody awkward one that was the most difficult to get out. So no doubt my OCD will be kicking off if I get any rattling noises while driving.

Anyway, it's all done and works a treat:
USB Glove A2.jpg
Now with the USB port mounted in the Glovebox.

USB Glove A3.jpg
With plenty of room for a USB drive and well away from the fusebox.

For the observant, you can also just see the now standard glovebox accompaniments these days of a wedge of disposable face masks.

Now I have all my tunes playing from the flash drive and nicely hidden away.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

As far as the USB drive went, I wasn't going to risk a 128Gb drive - just in case it caused any errors reading, but these Head Units do support Mass Storage devices - they just don't specify the maximum capacity or number of files. I hope with the NAC system that the capacity has increased from the older 4000 limits on older systems.

So I decided after pouring over hours of reviews and comparisons to go for a Samsung Fit Plus USB 3.1 64Gb. This will have about 8 x the storage capacity of my current 8Gb drives I use, so should be more than sufficient.
sammy fit USB.JPG
I'ts X-Ray, water, shock, heat and the rest-of-it proof and has a 5 year warranty with Samsung, plus I took out a 3 year warranty with Amazon for under £2 to cover me for accidental or non-manufacturer covered issues for 3 years. Read and write speeds are up there with the best, bit I'm really only going to be using this for copying over FLAC files and then it will more or less be left in the car.

All I need to do now is to locate the other thousand or CDs I never got round to ripping. Trouble is, I can't remember where the heck I put them all.... :roll: