Marc's C3 Aircross SUV, Rants Raves & Everything Else

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Re: Marc's C3 Aircross SUV, Rants Raves & Everything Else

Post by myglaren »

It is sometimes a job to get in and out of my Civic in car parks - hardly a large car.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I thought I may as well have a look at the dash camera footage for the day - not that I was expecting anything, but amazingly I have got the registration of the vehicle that was parked on my right as I entered the parking bay. So looking again at the damage, it's perfectly plausible that they caused the damage by reversing out of the bay (which is right next to the shop entrance, so busy with people and trolleys), so they may of been concentrating behind and not looking at the car when trying to back out.

It was also a silver Peugeot, which would figure why there is no visible paint on the scratches or alloy. However there is no footage of course of anything actually happening - pure speculation, so I'm wondering if it's even worth mentioning to the insurance company as all I have is the reg. number of a vehicle that was parked on my right whilst I was in Aldi and the car missing when we left. Hardly conclusive, so may just not bother to mention it as I can't see them tracking them down and checking to see if there is any of my red paint on their car!
mickthemaverick
Donor 2021

Post by mickthemaverick »

As you have the number Marc, might it be worth a reconnaisance to the Aldi car park at the same day and time as the driver may be a creature of habit. You just may spot them and have a look yourself. A photo of their front wing with number plate should be sufficient!! :)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Knowing my luck I shall probably get arrested for stalking!
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

You can ask the DVLA for their details Marc if you think they did the damage. Maybe if they're close by you can have a look yourself.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2021

Thinking further about this I wonder if your local police would have the car inspected as a possible act of foul play perpetrator? They will not give you owners details of course but they just may be prepared to check it out! :?: :?:
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I was serving in the shop when I saw my big Austin move sideway as a truck went by, went out to have a look and I could see the wrap round rear bumper had the chrome gouged out in about a ten inch long strip.

I knew the trucker lived just around the corner so I popped round and confronted him, he denied all knowledge but at a close look at his wheels he had chrome on the nuts like the curled swarf you would get on a drill bit.

He told me to F off so I got the local cops to take a look they agreed it was him but couldn't do anything about it told me to claim on his insurance.

Karma came a couple of weeks later when he cut a corner too close and took the front off a corner shop, they threw the book at him, a big fine and a two year ban.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Nice one!

Well. a further update - taking another look at my dash cam footage to double check there were no CCTV cameras in the car park, I did happen to note that where I parked and where the other suspect car was parked, that the Home Bargains store next to Aldi does in fact have one of those globe cameras on the outside of their shopfront - almost opposite where I parked!

So I've been in touch with the Manager this morning who keep their tapes for a month and confirmed it is an outward facing camera - so I would need to contact the Police for them to review it.

So round 7..... I've completed a Police form with all the details and hopefully they will get back within 2 days. If they can confirm or rule out whether it was the suspect vehicle (or any other that came and went within the 40 minute time frame), then that will be a bonus. I'll know one way or the other. Just been on hold for 30 minutes with the insurance company to advise them who await the outcome and poised ready to roll off a claim!

... it's totally draining all this....
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Hopefully some headway Marc.
mickthemaverick
Donor 2021

That certainly sounds positive Marc!! So FCF fingers crossed across the country and we'll see what happens.
As to the draining effect, I'm with you there over my own park8ng issue in progress. I have emailed the manager at the Harvester with a mention of compensation for the hassle and waiting for them to offer a free meal!! :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I hope that Home Bargains come up trumps for you, and the Police are then able to explain to the miscreant the error of their ways. [-o<
Zelandeth
Donor 2016

Post by Zelandeth »

Having been the "operator" of the CCTV in a public car park, I can confirm that if there's any question like that the police will put a call in to the store to ask for the footage.

It will fall to the store to find the relevant camera, time period and send a copy of the video to the police though. Which was a pain for me as the optical drive on our system was highly touchy as it usually resulted in about five wrecked discs before it would actually finalise one properly.

Did see some crackers though...not least a gang of kids who had nicked their parents focus getting a good six feet of air over a speed table, straight into a streetlight. Then they discovered over the following hour and a half that it's a LOT harder to set fire to a car than Hollywood would have you believe!

They helpfully kept looking straight at the camera that was about 10' away from where they were standing...that was an open and shut case apparently...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

:-D Thanks for the input Zel.

I may be entirely wrong, but I can't think of anywhere else we were where it could of been done as that was the longest we stayed (40 minutes), with the other places having loads of car park spaces and we were only at each o these for 5-10 minutes tops.

I normally wouldn't bother wasting police time, but as they pass this onto the "local Policing Teams" I assume it's the rare occasion you see a copper on the street that will deal with it.

Hopefully I'll hear back from them over the next day or so, but I'm glad you let me know they can be bothered to deal with - that's encouraging seeing as I've gone to great lengths so far.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2021

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The problem you may encounter is lack of co-operation with the Police. My brother had his (expensive) bicycle stolen from Morrisons (in Reading) and the security guard just shrugged his shoulders and said "Er, bad kids". My brother got in touch with the Police, who did follow it up (he is on very good terms with his local Police, as when HE was in the security game he made sure to get on their good side). Apparently after SIX Police requests over the course of a month Morrisons told them that the 'tapes' had automatically been wiped a fortnight after the theft.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well, I've heard nothing from the fuzz and it will be 4 days today since they sent me the email.

I have a feeling it's all going to go a bit Pete Tong from here on down. I'm getting a distinct feeling of mañana.....