xantia rescue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Re: xantia rescue

Post by admiral51 »

Scottculli wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 22:31 Admiral51 that sounds like a good idea to the donation, £10 for the work they do seems like more than a fair price, i was wondering when it says parts and information, would that be stuff like parts numbers and service manuals because if so that would be really useful, ive been scurraging for anything i can find.my dad left me a xm manual and a couple other things but nothing specific for what i need on the xantia
My apologies i forgot to add my name to the bottom of my post, will sort that with this one :rofl2:

As has been posted previously by much respected members with more knowledge than me there are sections within any Forum that contain the information that costs, so yes there is a lot there :wink:

Colin
Scottculli
My Cars: 1998 Xantia exclusive

Post by Scottculli »

myglaren wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 20:50
oh that was satisfying.just seeing the second guy get all offended even after just nicking someone's stuff :rofl2:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

myglaren wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 20:50
I wonder where I can buy me one of these!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

admiral51 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 20:58
Scottculli wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 22:31 Admiral51 that sounds like a good idea to the donation, £10 for the work they do seems like more than a fair price, i was wondering when it says parts and information, would that be stuff like parts numbers and service manuals because if so that would be really useful, ive been scurraging for anything i can find.my dad left me a xm manual and a couple other things but nothing specific for what i need on the xantia
My apologies i forgot to add my name to the bottom of my post, will sort that with this one :rofl2:

As has been posted previously by much respected members with more knowledge than me there are sections within any Forum that contain the information that costs, so yes there is a lot there :wink:

Colin
absolutely no worries Colin.oh yea you're definitely right on that one there's so much good stuff on here it crazy, but i will admit its not just the information on here thought, its the amount of helpful people thats actual quite mind blowing. it a nice feeling that you know if your stuck there someone you can ask for advice.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

That is because the attitude of the Forum is like that of an old English Country Pub. We do take the mickey out of each other at times, but we remember that the primary reason this Forum was set up was to help people who have problems with their French cars. If the first time somebody posts here is to ask for help it will be offered (and not, as can happen elsewhere, be told to take it to a garage as you would not understand the answer!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 21:45 That is because the attitude of the Forum is like that of an old English Country Pub. We do take the mickey out of each other at times, but we remember that the primary reason this Forum was set up was to help people who have problems with their French cars. If the first time somebody posts here is to ask for help it will be offered (and not, as can happen elsewhere, be told to take it to a garage as you would not understand the answer!).
the old country pub feeling and taking the mick out of everyone, now i'm just wishing my rugby club back open.but anyway that another story.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

hey everyone i've got a new battery and petrol but one thing ive forgot to mention is about the coolant, the thing is its got a black expansion tank so i'm not sure how to tell if its got any coolant in it it does appear to be dry so i havent started her up yet but i was just going to check.and a second thing i tried looking for the specific coolant type but when i looked the where two types that fitted the es9j4,so i wasn't sure how to find out the right one, but other than that everything is coming along nicely and hopefully she's running before sunday.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The coolant expansion tank should be half full... They are often found to be leaking around their seam.

The ES9 in a Xantia will use ordinary ethylene glycol antifreeze. The Xantia was one of the first cars to use this engine in 1997..

Do not run the engine for even a second with no or low coolant. It is very likely to cause damage. I have seen it happen.

All the best for the first startup 👍🤞
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 09 Dec 2020, 21:45 That is because the attitude of the Forum is like that of an old English Country Pub. We do take the mickey out of each other at times, but we remember that the primary reason this Forum was set up was to help people who have problems with their French cars. If the first time somebody posts here is to ask for help it will be offered (and not, as can happen elsewhere, be told to take it to a garage as you would not understand the answer!).

I've said it before and I'll say it again : We own French cars - therefore we need a sense of humour and all the help we can get :lol: :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
zs&tas
My Cars: 2004 c5 2.0 hdi 138. *gone*
1988 pontiac firebird.
1996 1.8 8v xantia auto. soon to go .......
1999 2.0hdi xantia estate

Post by zs&tas »

Good to see another one coming back ! All the best and good luck !
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

hey everyone ive just got two questions if that's all right, firstly just to double check this is definitely the coolant expansion tank that i top up the coolant system with (just I saw the xm technical sheet and on there its closer to where the windscreen washer tank was),and secondly because the tank was empty will i need to bleed the coolant system.
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën sAXo XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Scottculli Yes that's the V6 and 2.1td coolant expansion tank, it should be half full when cool (up to the welded seam that can split), i'd say see how much coolant it takes to half fill the tank and if it's more than 2 Ltrs then it will probably need bleeding.

Recently on my Xantia HDi I had a very small leak from a core plug, that took 400ml to top up and I'd had no warning lights for coolant, so top up measured amount and see how low your level was .....
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

Skull wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 14:53 Scottculli Yes that's the V6 and 2.1td coolant expansion tank, it should be half full when cool (up to the welded seam that can split), i'd say see how much coolant it takes to half fill the tank and if it's more than 2 Ltrs then it will probably need bleeding.

Recently on my Xantia HDi I had a very small leak from a core plug, that took 400ml to top up and I'd had no warning lights for coolant, so top up measured amount and see how low your level was .....
ah excellent, ill top it up and see how much shell will need, thanks for the help
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Scottculli wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 14:32
I'd put the car back the right way up first, otherwise all the coolant will run out again when you top it up ;) :lol:

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a frivolous mood today...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 17:32
Scottculli wrote: 15 Dec 2020, 14:32
I'd put the car back the right way up first, otherwise all the coolant will run out again when you top it up ;) :lol:

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a frivolous mood today...
wait your trying to tell me the cars not meant to be on its side :-D