xantia rescue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: xantia rescue

Post by CitroJim »

Do you mean the coolant expansion tank Scott?

After removing its two mounting nuts it should not be stuck at all... It should then be easy to pull it forward from the bulkhead... The coolant pipes can get well stuck on its spigots but you should not need to disturb them to fix the dosuer return pipes...

It's not fragile from a handling point of view so you are at no risk of breaking it in doing the leaky return lines but they are well known to leak at the central seam under coolant pressure...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

One thing to note if re-routing LHM return lines, is that where a component appears to have 2 low pressure return lines, one of them is usually actually a vent line to let the component "breathe" and in some cases (such as the rear strut gaiters, air from the vent line is used to push lhm in the return line uphill to the reservoir.

I agree that the coolant expansion tank is not fragile, but the hose at the bottom can be stubborn to remove.

The degassing tank (mounted on the engine below the expansion tank) is fragile and unless replaced recently will shatter if you look at it. For a few years they were very hard to obtain, but I think that they are being remanufactured now.
Scottculli
My Cars: 1998 Xantia exclusive

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 04:53 Do you mean the coolant expansion tank Scott?

After removing its two mounting nuts it should not be stuck at all... It should then be easy to pull it forward from the bulkhead... The coolant pipes can get well stuck on its spigots but you should not need to disturb them to fix the dosuer return pipes...

It's not fragile from a handling point of view so you are at no risk of breaking it in doing the leaky return lines but they are well known to leak at the central seam under coolant pressure...
Do you mean the coolant expansion tank Scott: yep thats the one, I'm guessing that it must just be because its old and not been worked on in a long time thats causing it to be like that,ill have a another crack at it today, now that i know that its not so delicate that will help a lot, and will be one step closer :-D
thanks Jim
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

xantia_v6 wrote: 25 Mar 2021, 05:45 One thing to note if re-routing LHM return lines, is that where a component appears to have 2 low pressure return lines, one of them is usually actually a vent line to let the component "breathe" and in some cases (such as the rear strut gaiters, air from the vent line is used to push lhm in the return line uphill to the reservoir.

I agree that the coolant expansion tank is not fragile, but the hose at the bottom can be stubborn to remove.

The degassing tank (mounted on the engine below the expansion tank) is fragile and unless replaced recently will shatter if you look at it. For a few years they were very hard to obtain, but I think that they are being remanufactured now.
one of them is usually actually a vent line to let the component "breathe": i know this might be a simple question but is the any special considerations i should have when remaking the lines, regular fuel line should do because of this?
its nice to see that the is a aftermarket market ,so to speak, these are such nice cars so I'm glad its still possible to keep them going, but i bet the prices must be scary, id assume, just because of the smaller scale of production.
Thanks v6
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

hi everyone, its been a nice day doing some work on the car today and i thought id let you guys know how its getting on. I've found to finally what the culprit was for the leak,and I've almost finished the repair. it turns out this bottom return line was the culprit and had split in many paces on the under side. to create the repair section i learnt the skill of silver soldering and i made this and this is it after a little neatning up as it went from a 0,6 id hose to a 0.5 od hose .and putting it all together it looks like this https://imgur.com/UDGGDz1. now all I've got to do is put it all together with jubilee clips and re connect the hydraulic lines.
i hope your all having a good day in the sun shine and ill speak to you soon :-D .
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You might not want to use jubilee clips, as they do not make a round seal. There are more suitable clips available (although I do not know which they are), mentioned on the forum in several threads.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Scott :D Well done!

That pipe was well perished :shock:

I echo what James says about Jubilee Clips...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

hey Jim i know you said that you could re use old seals as long as they wherent to perished would you say that these where alright ? . and secondly does it matter wich way i put the squished bit onto the pipe?
Thanks Scott.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They look fine Scott... Just peel off any bits of loose rubber that have been caught in the threads and reverse them so the 'clean' ends are on the front of the pipe and the ends with the thread indentations are up against the pipe flare ;)
Jim

Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 15:04 You might not want to use jubilee clips, as they do not make a round seal. There are more suitable clips available (although I do not know which they are), mentioned on the forum in several threads.
Ill take your word on that, heaven knows i don't want to have to take this thing out again
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 15:12 They look fine Scott... Just peel off any bits of loose rubber that have been caught in the threads and reverse them so the 'clean' ends are on the front of the pipe and the ends with the thread indentations are up against the pipe flare ;)
Ah thanks Jim.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

hey Jim I'm just getting annoyed with this car, I've been trying for the last two days to to re attach the hydraulic pipes into the doseur but only one will go in. I've tried placing the seals on the ends on the pipes, putting the seals in the holes where the pipe goes in, and I've got the union literally touching the doseure but it just wont screw in no matter how hard i try, i was wondering if i had to re thread the threads. But i just dont know, and i thought it best to ask you to see if you had any tips
thanks Scott
Skull
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroën Xantia XII HDi
Citroën AX XII

Missing AX 1.4D Echo

Post by Skull »

Scottculli

Tricky one to call without seeing them but if the 2 pipes have the same thread test fit them on the other threads - that will tell you if the threads are good or not :?:

I have had trouble before with a pipe I had made up where the joint wouldn't do up and I resolved by trimming the length of the rubber seals to allow the threads to get that initial bite .....

Where in the 'grim North' are you :?: Maybe someone local would be able to pop around soon ......
On my 4th Citroën Xantia (X2 HDi (110))
Citroën sAXo Memphis Mk II
Gone
Xantia x3 (2.0i TCT Activa)(2.1 TD SX)(1.9 TD Estate)
Xsara HDi VTR Coupe / Saxo 1.1i / BX 1.9 d / 4 x AX's (1.4D /1.5D)
2 x 406 (1.9 TD Estate/2.1 TD Saloon) 405 1.9 D Estate 306 1.9 XTDT Hatch
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

Skull wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 17:03 Scottculli

Tricky one to call without seeing them but if the 2 pipes have the same thread test fit them on the other threads - that will tell you if the threads are good or not :?:

I have had trouble before with a pipe I had made up where the joint wouldn't do up and I resolved by trimming the length of the rubber seals to allow the threads to get that initial bite .....

Where in the 'grim North' are you :?: Maybe someone local would be able to pop around soon ......
Ah thanks Skull ill give it a go and test the union in a different hole and see if still bites. Oh I appreciate the the help about the popping round, but i don’t wanna wast someons time, and annyway its all charicter building :-D
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sometimes what can be character building is knowing when to ask for help. A fresh perspective on a problem can sometimes find something that has been missed.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!