xantia rescue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: xantia rescue

Post by CitroJim »

Scottculli wrote: 16 Feb 2021, 19:39 I guess ill just have to try and fix it the old fashioned way( a hammer and a blow torch and a little bit of devine intervention :-D ).
:lol: That'll show it who's boss ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli
My Cars: 1998 Xantia exclusive

Post by Scottculli »

Hey jim im working on the pressure regulator, just trying to de pressure the car and was having a really hard time accessing the bleed screw, i was just wondering if you had any tips that you knew. Thanks scott
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Scottculli wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 15:27 Hey jim im working on the pressure regulator, just trying to de pressure the car and was having a really hard time accessing the bleed screw, i was just wondering if you had any tips that you knew. Thanks scott
Hi Scott, good to hear from you :D

I feel your pain!

It is hard to get to and for most work on the hydraulics there's no real need to de-pressurise and indeed I don't think I ever have used the bleed screw to depressurise a V6!

Perhaps the only time it's needed is when replacing the accumulator sphere... Then, with the airbox off, use a long 12mm OE spanner on it...

Why are you wanting to de-pressurise?

Remember if left overnight it'll be effectively depressurise anyway ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 17:22
Scottculli wrote: 15 Mar 2021, 15:27 Hey jim im working on the pressure regulator, just trying to de pressure the car and was having a really hard time accessing the bleed screw, i was just wondering if you had any tips that you knew. Thanks scott
Hi Scott, good to hear from you :D

I feel your pain!

It is hard to get to and for most work on the hydraulics there's no real need to de-pressurise and indeed I don't think I ever have used the bleed screw to depressurise a V6!

Perhaps the only time it's needed is when replacing the accumulator sphere... Then, with the airbox off, use a long 12mm OE spanner on it...

Why are you wanting to de-pressurise?

Remember if left overnight it'll be effectively depressurise anyway ;)
Ah jim your at it again giving me the news i love to hear.ah it just this break doseur, i tied to remove the union’s to the supply pipe and when i did the pipes where as stuck in the doseur as i dont know what. so thats when i got the idea that it might be stuck in because the is still pressure in the hydraulics but it was just a hunch
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

No need to depressurise when working around the dosuer Scott, you will get a little spillage but to be sure all is depressurised, in case there's still a little left in the accumulator, just pump the brake pedal a few times...
Jim

Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 04:43 No need to depressurise when working around the dosuer Scott, you will get a little spillage but to be sure all is depressurised, in case there's still a little left in the accumulator, just pump the brake pedal a few times...
Yea ive got to agree with you on the no need to depressurise, iv let the car go to the lowest position,and left it overnight to double check it is depressurised like what you said, ive just undone the unions and the two pipes are just as stuck in to the doseur as they where before. I was just wondering how aggressive i can be when pulling out these pipe just there really stuck in, but i dont want to break anything. Is it usually this difficult to get out?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Scottculli wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 16:50 I was just wondering how aggressive i can be when pulling out these pipe just there really stuck in, but i dont want to break anything. Is it usually this difficult to get out?
They are often difficult to get out Scott... The end of the pipe enters a bore in the body of the dosuer and the fit is tight to say the least... Sometimes you have to pull on them really hard...

Use a high quality pair of pliers to get a straight pull if your fingers won't do the trick but be careful you don't damage the pipe... And don't just pull, give it a good 'wiggle' whilst pulling and it'll give up the fight!

Think of how a dentist extracts a tooth ;)
Jim

Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

CitroJim wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 17:35
Scottculli wrote: 16 Mar 2021, 16:50 I was just wondering how aggressive i can be when pulling out these pipe just there really stuck in, but i dont want to break anything. Is it usually this difficult to get out?
They are often difficult to get out Scott... The end of the pipe enters a bore in the body of the dosuer and the fit is tight to say the least... Sometimes you have to pull on them really hard...

Use a high quality pair of pliers to get a straight pull if your fingers won't do the trick but be careful you don't damage the pipe... And don't just pull, give it a good 'wiggle' whilst pulling and it'll give up the fight!

Think of how a dentist extracts a tooth ;)
ah thats great advice jim thanks for that,I'm glad it wasn't just me going crazy that they seemed really tight. thanks Jim.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

ah, jim good news i got the doseur out today :-D , those pipes where really stuck in, i managed to get three out on Tuesday but only just know did i mange the last one today, the dentist teeth analogy really helped with the removal.my next step is to attack the return lines that where causing the leak. even thought i tried my best and was as delicate as i could be. i couldn't stop causing a rip as they where just so old, i was thinking, would it be better while i have the opportunity to replace the two whole pipes, or is it to much fafing, and just cut and splice some new pipes on the old ?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I would advise replacing the whole section of rubber pipe (subject to access at the other end).
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

xantia_v6 wrote: 20 Mar 2021, 18:49 I would advise replacing the whole section of rubber pipe (subject to access at the other end).
I was thinking that would be the best solution. I was wondering what type of material was the top return pipe as it seems to be like a thin peace of plastic tube, and was wondering if you could buy it. It would look a lot neater then fule line
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

The thin plastic return tubing on Xantias never seems to fail unless it is cut or crushed, it is just the rubber joiners and flexible sections that perish, split and leak. I would not bother changing the hard plastic line without good reason. It is a long time since I looked at one of these, so I forgot which section is of each material.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Great news Scott :D I concur with xantia_v6 on pipe replacements...
Jim

Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

Okay im gonna just do the replacing of the rubber bits, its good because iv still got fule line from the last repair so i can just crack on with it.thanks everyone.
Scottculli

Post by Scottculli »

okay so over the last couple of days I've removed the seals from the doseur, labeling all the lines and hoses and had another look at the two return lines. the top one seems like it can be repaired using a new bit of hose connecting the plastic hose to the doseur. the lower return looks to be the main culprit for the original leak as it has split and cracked and is seeping in manny places. so I'm just going to make one long return piece going from the doseur to resivour. my one problem is that the expansion tank is in the way from me getting to the hose, and was struggling on how to remove it as it seems really stuck on and I've heard that they can be fragile and will leak? so i was just wondering if you guys could give me the run down on how best to remove it :)
thanks Scott.