My zx estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Huskyxantia
Donor

Re: My zx estate

Post by Huskyxantia »

Brake compensator valve , the estates only have them, it stops the rear brakes locking up if you have to brake very hard, like abs but not abs if that makes sence, my unit has the nylon part missing . Brakes are all good, part missing since I've had it .

Huskyxantia
Donor

Post by Huskyxantia »

I've used wd40 on mine today as it was a bit stiff and greased it on the joint , my brakes are even better now I've got to get used to braking differently again

:rofl2:

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Huskyxantia wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 18:31
Brake compensator valve , the estates only have them, it stops the rear brakes locking up if you have to brake very hard, like abs but not abs if that makes sence, my unit has the nylon part missing . Brakes are all good, part missing since I've had it .

Gotcha... If all your searches draw a blank might it be possible to make one from scratch? It what I would be inclined to do...

Excuse my ignorance but what is the function of the white nylon bit given it did not cause any problems at MoT time?

Huskyxantia
Donor

Post by Huskyxantia »

It takes the slack up where the spring ends, like a spacer. The mot tester wasn't worried and said to leave it as it is , I've sprayed and greased it up and the brakes are a bit more responsive, I think his concern was it could snap if jiggled with mole grips , it didn't and the wd40 and grease did the job .
I could make a piece with a piece of pipe

admiral51
Donor 2019

Post by admiral51 »

You beat me to it Husky.
As it is part of the compensator valve arrangement my suggestion was going to be that it acts like a load sensing valve and without it heavy breaking unloads the rears and it has to stop the lever raising as high as rear end.

Similar, but only once have i pulled an artic trailer with the old style load sensing valve put on upside down, empty you touch the brakes and everything locked, loaded you need a runway to stop, scary but it was a good 20+ years ago :)

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

I can see, I guess, that the cable pulls against the spring, and acts on the hydraulic valve. The white nylon widget obviously constitutes a spacer, but what is the function of the sticky-up part of it? What does it connect to? More white nylon covers the cable, presumably to keep the spring acting straight.

Will use your VIN (thanks) and reply here, not in the other thread.

admiral51
Donor 2019

Post by admiral51 »

Chris i have had another look at the pictures, i do not have a scooby what the holes are for on the bracket but i can only assume it is there to keep it at a certain height/ angle, maybe a saftey measure incase the bracket comes loose it cannot rise higher than intended ?

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Your VIN not correct - should be 17 digits.

Huskyxantia
Donor

Post by Huskyxantia »

white exec wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 19:41
I can see, I guess, that the cable pulls against the spring, and acts on the hydraulic valve. The white nylon widget obviously constitutes a spacer, but what is the function of the sticky-up part of it? What does it connect to? More white nylon covers the cable, presumably to keep the spring acting straight.

Will use your VIN (thanks) and reply here, not in the other thread.
The part that's sticky on mine is an arm , I'll try photograph the one on my car in a few days then post it on here

Huskyxantia
Donor

ZX Estate outer sills.

Post by Huskyxantia »

Outer sills .

Where are they I've looked lots of places not having much luck .
:? :? :?

Huskyxantia
Donor

Post by Huskyxantia »

white exec wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 19:50
Your VIN not correct - should be 17 digits.
Was it sorted ?

Huskyxantia
Donor

Post by Huskyxantia »

I've purchased a pair of outer sills for the zx . The vender informs me they are the size for an estate

Stay tuned

Huskyxantia
Donor

Post by Huskyxantia »

And there posted and making there way to me.