bought a 2008 xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v non starter cheap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wheeler
My Cars:

Re: bought a 2008 xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v non starter cheap

Post by wheeler »

Yes there is a gap when its all clipped in place, what happens is the ecu gets unclipped (with the plugs still connected) & moved aside to get to the gearbox during a clutch change, its when the ecu is being moved out the way that they short it on the jump post, seen it so many times. Most of the time earthin the ecu casing has brought it back to life right enough.
vincentfishing
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: Xsara picasso 1.6hdi
Xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v
c4 PICASSO 1.6 HDI EGS

Post by vincentfishing »

Think the gap your talking about between the positive post and the mountain bracket is definately the shorting point, but the point i was making is there a second gap between the
The mountain bracket and the thin metal plate forming the back of the ecu, I think and i could be wrong, that i saw no real arcing damage on the back of the ecu because it doesnt arc onto the ecu when its shorted, it arcs onto the backing mount , takes the easiest route(which isnt to jump the gap between mounting plate and the back of ecu) the route it takes is to the mounting bolts on mounting bracket and into ecu and blows it from inside onto inner side of ecu backing plate as in my pic, this then left very little evidence in my case of external damage to ecu.......
The reason i am maybe overstating this is , to the inexperienced , like myself, when they read the posts warning about arcing, they look at the ecu when its off mounting plate expecting to see a big arcing / pitted / burnt flash mark, but, as in my case , which threw me off the scent, it was the smallest of faint discolouration , no actual damage , that damaged was all contained within ! And Yes a stupid idea to put ecu next to positive post !
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

VINCENTFISHING wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 09:38 And Yes a stupid idea to put ecu next to positive post !
I suppose it is a bit but if the batter is disconnected first like it’s supposed to be then its not actually a problem.
vincentfishing
Xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v
c4 PICASSO 1.6 HDI EGS

Post by vincentfishing »

wheeler wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 14:43
VINCENTFISHING wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 09:38 And Yes a stupid idea to put ecu next to positive post !
I suppose it is a bit but if the batter is disconnected first like it’s supposed to be then its not actually a problem.
unfortunately the phrases ''learning by your mistakes'' and costly errors'' come into the equation !
However , I have sourced an ecu/bsi(all numbers match)and one chip,
Can i confirm its just refit ecu and bsi, put chip in my old push button key
and drive off into sunset !(theoretically) :?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Pretty much, you will need to recode the VIN in the ‘new’ BSI to your own VIN or you will get an annoying beep from the radio every 5 seconds. Make sure you take a note of the VIN before you change it incase you need to get a security code for programming keys in the future.
Also do you know what miles is stored in the BSI you are getting? If it is more than yours your car will inherit the higher milage.
vincentfishing
Xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v
c4 PICASSO 1.6 HDI EGS

Post by vincentfishing »

Will make note of vin
Not too worried about mileage, have mot history to show true mileage and reciept for ecu kit if i sell, never know mileage might not be too far out hopefully,
Hopefully next update will be cars up and running, now the wait begins......
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are some companies who can clear the mileage in certain ECUs. I am NOT sure what information they will need to do this (to prevent 'clocking' of vehicles), but if you can find a reputable company who will do this for you, what should happen when you fit the new ECU is that it will get the mileage from the speedometer system and then copy it. The reason you might want to do this is that I have heard (but I cannot recall where from (or even if I am right!)) if the relevant ECUs don't have matching mileages they add the two figures together and then use the result as a new starting point (nasty if the individual mileages are high to start with!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 03 Dec 2020, 20:54 I have heard (but I cannot recall where from (or even if I am right!)) if the relevant ECUs don't have matching mileages they add the two figures together and then use the result as a new starting point (nasty if the individual mileages are high to start with!).
Not on any PSA vehicle that i know of, the miles are stored in the BSI & instrument panel. If the miles are higher in one unit then it just goes to the highest out of the two, It wont add them together.
vincentfishing
Xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v
c4 PICASSO 1.6 HDI EGS

Post by vincentfishing »

ecu /bsi/chip arrived today, all fitted ,put chip in original keyfob, started 1st time ,up on stands so just smooth tickover at moment, forgot to check mileage,
remote locking not working off original key, locks fine using key,
now have to sort out missing rear tailgate piece that covers release and high speed fan staying on with ignition off and draining battery(disconnected at big plug by rad at moment)
happy days.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Picasso will make a decent fishing car Vincent? Well done on sticking with it.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
vincentfishing
Xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v
c4 PICASSO 1.6 HDI EGS

Post by vincentfishing »

lexi wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 17:22 Picasso will make a decent fishing car Vincent? Well done on sticking with it.
my fishing car is a xsara picasso 1.6hdi with towbar and trailer...
my previous car was xsara picasso 2.0hdi,
this petrol vtx car is too expensive on tax and fuel i will stick with diesels ,was just a project that was too cheap to turn down..(the second petrol xsara picasso non runner project i've had)
not a fan of the cars looks, but I think they are a very reliable easy to maintain and practical car, with loads of space and a comfy driving position.
might go for a grand picasso (7 seater for grand kids visits) if i can find a cheap diesel,manual non runner!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

VINCENTFISHING wrote: 08 Dec 2020, 20:46
my fishing car is a xsara picasso 1.6hdi with towbar and trailer...
You should have one of these for fishing :-
a.jpg

(When they were first spotted in the streets of Gothenburg they were dubbed 'Fiskebilen' (fish car) due to the shape rather than the utility)
vincentfishing
Xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v
c4 PICASSO 1.6 HDI EGS

Post by vincentfishing »

Dont think i will be buying a cheap one of those as a project
vincentfishing
Xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v
c4 PICASSO 1.6 HDI EGS

Post by vincentfishing »

Have to sort out a few issues with the car now its running,
there are two multiplugs going into the radiator area, they are mounted one above the other below and behind n/s headlight in engine bay,
The top one is disconnected and is a large earth and live cable,
if reconnected the fan stays on all night draining battery,
I assume that this is a permanent live ,so the radiator will stay on after switching off car if coolant temperature is high, and must be switched off by a relay on coolant fan , controlled by temp sensor on engine.
As diagnostics show engine temp as 18 deg, i assume that it must be a relay problem??
I assume that it is bumper off to get to the problem.
Can anyone one confirm any of my assumptions ???????
thanks,
Heading down garden to start re taping loom and replacing everything that been taking off.......
vincentfishing
Xsara picasso 1.6vtx 16v
c4 PICASSO 1.6 HDI EGS

Post by vincentfishing »

Recovered loom, used lexia to change vin radio details, radio works again, going to take bumper of next and try to sort out whats keeping coolant fan running permanently.Lexia showing no faults on diagnostics.