Oh no 🤦🏼‍♂️ I've just bought another Xantia !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Oh no 🤦🏼‍♂️ I've just bought another Xantia !

Post by CitroJim »

zs&tas wrote: 17 Dec 2020, 19:51 I have removed the height corrector, I am surprised that the suspension is still up
You have a very good anti-sink valve and rear suspension cylinders there :) :D

But... Never trust the anti-sink valve to keep the car on high... Always maintain adequate independent support just in case...

Hydraulic Citroens CAN KILL so always make sure if you are underneath you are fully safe and will not be injured if the car does suddenly want to sink...

Sorry to be heavy about this... I've had a near miss and witnessed an even nearer miss :twisted:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

Witnessed ! :shock:
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Just rewinding a bit... since you did the work on the car and the rear suspension is stuck, does the front end go up and down normally with the height control?
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

Ok so currently the rear height corrector is on my kitchen table. The front moved as it should . The rear is stuck up high.
Putting the height corrector back in when I'm not tired from work. Then will try to get it moving again . :Santa:
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

Height corrector in. Had car running . Stood on brakes all sorts . Rear still not coming down . What's my next move ? Ideas ? It's annoying because this is a nice car , mostly solid and worth saving , I really want to use it as opposed to my S1.
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

Maybe I should load the boot with weight 🤷🏼‍♂️
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Have you tried getting several well-built friends to sit on the tailgate sill and bounce up and down in unison? That often gets things moving 😉
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

:shock:
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

zs&tas wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 17:11 Height corrector in. Had car running . Stood on brakes all sorts . Rear still not coming down . What's my next move ? Ideas ? It's annoying because this is a nice car , mostly solid and worth saving , I really want to use it as opposed to my S1.
It seems you will have to invent new way for unstucking it. But, that you put the corrector back, doesn't mean you are on the money. You probably have already disturbed the fine tuning and... try to ask someone for the Xantia manual - there are explanations for certain depressurization methods, which require special tools, but still it may give you an idea how to sort it out ;)

BR
Martin
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

Thanks citrojim 🙏
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ksanturion10 wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 17:24 It seems you will have to invent new way for unstucking it. But, that you put the corrector back, doesn't mean you are on the money. You probably have already disturbed the fine tuning and...
Good point Martin ;) Adjustment is critical as small movements of the linkage to the ARB translate to large movements of the suspension.

The easiest way to prove that is to disconnect the 'dogbone' link and use the manual height control lever only and see if that allows the rear to fall..

If that fails, then disconnect both 'dogbone' and manual height linkages and the car should then sink. With no linkages attached the height corrector will assume a natural position that will correspond to the lowest height setting.

One trusts the rear arm bearings are not totally seized... Was the car ever at normal height or fully low? It's very unlikely for them to be so seized that no suspension movement at all is possible but...

Also, there has to be enough main-line hydraulic pressure available to overcome the pressure in the rear suspension cylinders and allow the anti-sink valves to switch.

Does the front rise and fall normally?

Due to how the weight in the back of the car regulates the rear brake force and by extension, the pressure in the rear hydraulic feed, often a big weight in the back can be required to get enough pressure...

Hence why I suggested a group of big mates bouncing in unison on the tailgate sill!
Jim

ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

CitroJim wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 17:59 Hence why I suggested a group of big mates bouncing in unison on the tailgate sill!
Yes, but I did this by myself and it got unstuck :lol:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

ksanturion10 wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 18:04
CitroJim wrote: 20 Dec 2020, 17:59 Hence why I suggested a group of big mates bouncing in unison on the tailgate sill!
Yes, but I did this by myself and it got unstuck :lol:
I can't! But then I do weigh only 60Kg :roll: :lol:
Jim

zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

I'm not heavy enough either 🤪
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

Me is also now 60+ with wet clothes :-D . But God's help is irreplaceable ;)