Front Wipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bigzed

Re: Front Wipers

Post by Bigzed »

C5-NON wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 17:43 Success!! After 3 week’s off the c5 being off the road, she’s back tearing up the the British roads. I tried x4 different wiper motors in the process, even managed to source a brand new one from a parts shop in Portugal for £115! A Uk one as well oddly. I now have x3 spare wiper motors should anyone be looking. Doubt the eBay parts stores will take those back, but we will see. Will shove them on eBay for a knock down price anyway.

I found a bsm for £60, there was also a random wire with a inline 3 amp fuse that looked a very corroded (but not snapped) under the bsm that came from the ecu, and into the bsm, no idea what it does, so I changed that also. So there you go, it’s not always the wiper motors with a no communication fault code. It could be your bsm or perhaps that fuse.....

Moral of the story, ah feck it it’s nearly Xmas 😁
I know I am a little late to this topic.

I have a question to ç5_non or anyone else about the above fix for this issue on your c5. I have been having the same problem. We're did you find the wiper bsm with the wire and fuse.

Thanks for your help in advance.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There's no such thing as a wiper BSM. The BSM is the other name for the fuse box. Depending on what your exact issues are it may be one of the wiper motors which each contain an ECU, which can become corroded with water ingress.

You need to have it diagnosed to find out if it is one of the wiper motors and which one, or another issue.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bigzed

Post by Bigzed »

Thanks for the reply and clarifying the BSM is the fuse box.

Fault codes on Diagbox relating to wipers are
Under BSI

F02F - No communication with the windscreen wiper ECU
F9B3 - absence of communication with the windscreen wiper ECU on the LIN

and under Engine wiring housing

F9B3 - absence of communication with the windscreen wiper ECU on the LIN

I have had both wiper motors apart previously and checked for water ingress on the pcb, and no visible damage.
I have had them working since then, but the communication codes are new. Previous fault was with the master motor, and was replaced.
Seems a real waste to scrap a car because of a frustrating and unreliable wiper system.
Any further a dvice would be greatly appreciated.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so the first fault is from the BSI saying it can't communicate with the wiper via the engine fuse box (BSM) and the second fault is from the Engine Fuse box saying that can't communicate with the wiper ECU (s). So you need to deal with the second fault first, then the first fault should disappear. So the possibilities can be inside the wiper ECUs to check for corrosion and therefore a bad connection going back to the engine fusebox, or the wiring from there to the fusebox or at the fusebox itself.

I hope this clarifies it a little, but I would certainly check what C5-NON said, as it may be similar.

BSI
Fault Code: F02F
Description of Fault: Fault: absence of communication with the windscreen wiper ECU. Absence of communication with the wipers ECU (For more than 2 seconds) Via the engine fusebox.
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • Communication with the evolved windscreen wipe valid for more than 2 seconds (Via the engine fusebox)
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Windscreen wipe depending on the last setting. (Minimum intermittence of 4.5 seconds)
Symptoms:
  • Windscreen wipe depending on the last setting. (Minimum intermittence of 4.5 seconds)
  • No windscreen wash
  • No maintenance function
Suspect Areas:
  • CAN BODY network
  • Engine fusebox
  • Engine fusebox LIN network
  • Windscreen wipers ECU

Engine Fuse Box
Fault Code: F9B3
Description of Fault: No communication: Absence of communication with the evolved windscreen wipe.
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • Return of communication with the evolved windscreen wipe
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Windscreen wipe in down-grade mode: Intermittent wipe (4,5 seconds)
Symptoms:
  • Decrease of the wipe intermittence
  • Random activation of intermittent windscreen wipe
  • No wash functions
  • No maintenance function
Suspect Areas:
  • Evolved windscreen wipe
  • Network LIN
  • Engine fusebox

Marc
Bigzed

Post by Bigzed »

Hi Marc,
Thanks for the info.
Is there a step by step guide on how to remove the fusebox?, I want to see if I can locate the wire and fuse C5-Non mentioned.
Bigzed

Post by Bigzed »

Hi Marc,
I have managed to get the fusebox out, and do not see any visible damage / corrosion of the box or the wire with the 3A inline fuse.
I have a question though. My fusebox part no. is 9666700180 RO2, has this box been superseeded with the Part no. 9807028580, that you mentioned earlier in this post.
I note that from searching that part no. (9807028580) is shown for the c4,c6 and 407 where as my fusebox no. (9666700180 RO2) is shown for the c5, 308, 3008 and 5008

Could you confirm the part # please.
VIN = VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
RPO = 11922
Thanks for your help in advance.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Please note that for official parts data requests, we are charged for this, so we only provide this service for members who have made a current donation in the last 2 years - details below (note we already have your VIN supplied above).

If you need an original, genuine part number or part diagram, and can't already find the info you need on the Forum, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then pop your VIN up.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or additional information requires you to have made a current contribution (£10 min.) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here

Marc
Bigzed

Post by Bigzed »

Hi Marc,
Thanks for your assistance.
I managed to resolve this issue. It was not the fusebox, but the master wiper it was full of water.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's the common factor in the failure of these. Hopefully a good clean up and some sealant will prolong it.

Marc
CitroenSlo

Post by CitroenSlo »

Hey guys, I have a problem with the right front windscreen wiper on my C5 2012 SW. The left one works normally, the right one moves only for a few centimeters, actually, it only twitches. I've taken the motor of the wiper out, and connected to the power externally, so there's no mechanical fault, must be something else. Any suggestions? A new one is 400€
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That one may not be the one with the fault! Just because one of the wipers appears not to work, it can be the other wiper - as these operate in a master / slave relationship and if there is a fault with one it can affect the other so that the wipers don't collide.

Marc
CitroenSlo

Post by CitroenSlo »

Yes, I've read your posts above yes. So the best option is to find someone who can connect to the computer and check the codes, right? I also have to check the fuse box as I didn't yet, wipers are F12 as I saw. These could be quite expensive if I have to change the motor, as Valeo is the only available.
Is there anything else I can check by myself?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First get it diagnosed to see which one has the problem, then either replace it or look through the numerous posts on this for potential fixes, which can be water ingress that affects the circuits or magnet issues etc.

viewtopic.php?p=566496#p566496

Marc
Estately
(Donor 2022)

Post by Estately »

Hi Citroenslo,
So your passenger side wiper is not working, the driver's side will be the master and gives quite a good view of the road during wet weather (ask me how I know).

I would suggest that you take the back off the motor case and check the position of the magnet. It is covered on the forum, so read that first. You have nothing to lose.

Check for water ingress and ensure that the drain hole is clear and grease the moving parts.

Just plug and connect the motors without the wiper arms or location bolts and check for movement before you finally assemble everything.

Hope that helps.
Andy.
If it can happen it will.
civvie
(Donor 2020)

Post by civvie »

I think we have to be careful here what is the drivers side in the UK is more than likely the passenger side in Europe.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21