Front Wipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C5-NON
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 MK3 auto Tourer 2011

Re: Front Wipers

Post by C5-NON »

Success!! After 3 week’s off the c5 being off the road, she’s back tearing up the the British roads. I tried x4 different wiper motors in the process, even managed to source a brand new one from a parts shop in Portugal for £115! A Uk one as well oddly. I now have x3 spare wiper motors should anyone be looking. Doubt the eBay parts stores will take those back, but we will see. Will shove them on eBay for a knock down price anyway.

I found a bsm for £60, there was also a random wire with a inline 3 amp fuse that looked a very corroded (but not snapped) under the bsm that came from the ecu, and into the bsm, no idea what it does, so I changed that also. So there you go, it’s not always the wiper motors with a no communication fault code. It could be your bsm or perhaps that fuse.....

Moral of the story, ah feck it it’s nearly Xmas 😁
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Well, you must be close to me so I'll bear that in mind!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
C5-NON
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 MK3 auto Tourer 2011

Post by C5-NON »

I’m in new brighton, these wiper motors will probably be in the cupboard for years, so if you need haha
jonboy7300
My Cars: Citroen c4 gp (07)
Peugeot 307sw (06)
Citroen Berlingo (06)

Post by jonboy7300 »

Hey guys!

Did this one get resolved? I have exactly the same problem, and I’ve done the same things to try to resolve it.

Only difference is that now, after changing both wiper motors, I’ve got no comms with them at all. The wiper line is greyed out on the Diagbox list.

Please help! 😬
jonboy7300
Peugeot 307sw (06)
Citroen Berlingo (06)

Post by jonboy7300 »

Apols, can see the final few posts on this thread now. Couldn’t see them when I post my previous.

This is interesting. I wouldn’t have expected corrosion on the bsi, but that’s where I’m going to hunt next. When it’s not so cold out!
jonboy7300
Peugeot 307sw (06)
Citroen Berlingo (06)

Post by jonboy7300 »

So I’ve dug out the BSI from my C4GP. I can’t see any tell-tails at all. No corrosion, no sketchy looking wires or connectors. Everything looks fine.

Bit lost to where to go next, but I’ll go for fuse box I. The engine bay and see what’s going on there.

This is annoying,
jonboy7300
Peugeot 307sw (06)
Citroen Berlingo (06)

Post by jonboy7300 »

No joy. I can’t find anything!

Is there anyone out there who could help?

Can’t believe I might have to bin off the car because of something as lame as wipers.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Jon, I would of suggested (had I picked up on the post earlier) that you ran a diagnostic first on the original wipers and provide the codes. I know you say these are not showing as being recognised, but I can' be sure if this was on the originals or the replacement motors.

These are different to the C5 X7 motors that this thread was originally about so the fixes may not apply to the C4 GP. Any fault codes pop them up here with your VIN (please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jonboy7300
Peugeot 307sw (06)
Citroen Berlingo (06)

Post by jonboy7300 »

Hey!

Thank you so much for jumping in (even if we don’t get anywhere).

So the errors showing originally were (attached a screenshot too):
FF14 Slave motor operation fault
FF1A Fault in communication on the LIN between the two windscreen wiper motors

The VIN is: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

As I said, I now just have no comms. Suspect that would probably come back if I reset the thing.

I’ve not been defeated by any of the previous problems this car has thrown at me (there have been a few!), I can’t believe the wipers are gonna beat me.

Thank you!
Attachments
89926F77-7C9B-4743-BE96-573463B841A9.jpeg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so unfortunately these particular faults are non-descriptive Jon, as even the official faults report nothing apart from the standard:

FF14 Slave wiper motor fault: Not characterised
FF1A Inter-motor communication fault: Not characterised

So basically as it can't communicate with the motors it can't say what the issue is. Whether this is a fault in the LIN wiring or whether the second hand, motors are also faulty I can't say.

First check Fuse F12 in the engine Fusebox as this controls the wiper motor supply.

So let's move onto the wiring diagram.

As you can see from the info below, both the motors are connected to the engine Fusebox (PSF1) relay number R5 via the 5265A & 5265B, as is the LIN BUS via 9040.

So if there is no connection being reported, then it seems there is a fault between these 3 connections from the engine fusebox to the motors themselves. The only other thing common to them is the earth connection shown MC13A / B.

So check the pin connections on the 28 pin grey connector on the engine fusebox and the earth MC13.

If these are all intact and there are no shorts, then it's probably safe to say the relay R5 has gone and these are integral so can't be replaced. In this case, a replacement fusebox may be the answer. If you can get a reliable working second hand one with an identical part number to test this you'll have your answer.

5030: right windscreen wiper motor
5025: left windscreen wiper motor
5115: front/rear wash-wipe pump
5110: cleaning fluid level sensor

Wiring
5265B: Front windscreen wiper relay output
9040B: LIN BUS 1
509: motor control via relay
5010: wiper motors intermittence communication
MC13: EARTH mc13

Here's the location of the Earths, so you can locate MC13:

Marc
jonboy7300
Peugeot 307sw (06)
Citroen Berlingo (06)

Post by jonboy7300 »

Wow, dude!

Okay, so MC13A/B earth I’ve already poked and prodded, so I think is fine. I will double check.

I also believe that the pins are good on the grey 28pin, but I will check specifically.

I checked all the fuses (why not while you’re in there!) yesterday. So I know that to be good.

Just to confirm, when we’re talking about fusebox replacement, this is the engine bay fusebox? Just wanna make sure that I don’t go off willynilly replacing random stuff for no reason;). Change one thing at a time and all that.

I’ll feedback on the grey 28 pin if I find anything. Otherwise I’ll go fusebox shopping.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes the main engine fuse box module which looks like this: make sure you match up the exact part number.
fuse box jonboy.PNG
If you can't locate the part number, I can help with official parts numbers but please see below if you need these:
If you can't already find the info you need on the Forum, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future parts requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then pop your VIN up.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or additional information requires you to have made a current contribution (£10 min.) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here

Marc
jonboy7300
Peugeot 307sw (06)
Citroen Berlingo (06)

Post by jonboy7300 »

Wow! Dude, hats off, I’m impressed.

Sourced a replacement fuse box off eBay for £40 (the only one I could find with the right part number). Plugged it in, all working fine.

So, so pleased. Thank you so much for your help!

…. I wonder… we actually have another little electrical gremlin with this car. It’s something that we just gave up searching for a live with, but I wonder if you might cast a new light over it. Turbo control related, shall I start a new thread?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

jonboy7300 wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 11:12Turbo control related, shall I start a new thread?
Best if you do.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Bigzed
My Cars: 2009 C5 (X7) 2.2 Tourer

Post by Bigzed »

C5-NON wrote: 26 Nov 2020, 16:43 Success!! After 3 week’s off the c5 being off the road, she’s back tearing up the the British roads. I tried x4 different wiper motors in the process, even managed to source a brand new one from a parts shop in Portugal for £115! A Uk one as well oddly. I now have x3 spare wiper motors should anyone be looking. Doubt the eBay parts stores will take those back, but we will see. Will shove them on eBay for a knock down price anyway.

I found a bsm for £60, there was also a random wire with a inline 3 amp fuse that looked a very corroded (but not snapped) under the bsm that came from the ecu, and into the bsm, no idea what it does, so I changed that also. So there you go, it’s not always the wiper motors with a no communication fault code. It could be your bsm or perhaps that fuse.....

Moral of the story, ah feck it it’s nearly Xmas 😁
I know I am a little late to this topic.

I have a question to ç5_non or anyone else about the above fix for this issue on your c5. I have been having the same problem. We're did you find the wiper bsm with the wire and fuse.

Thanks for your help in advance.