ZX radio adaptor, wiring & speakers.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

VLL
My Cars:

Post by VLL »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D J Woollard</i>

Tell the Citroen guys to put in part number 8212EM, I've got the packet for the one I bought last week in front of me...they even had it in stock!
Pay no more than £9.81 plus vat.
The more I hear on this forum the more I reckon we've got the best Citroen parts counter guys in the UK. They'll help or find anything for you.
David
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've got the Autoleads adaptor in my Volcane which is the one with the flip up front. Looks ok when the fronts covered but when its open i think it looks a bit naff. Got one of the Sony Active Black head units so i like to be able to see it and just wondered if the genuine Citroen one was any different from the Autoleads one.
ZXturbo_Aura
My Cars:

Post by ZXturbo_Aura »

the factory standard speakers in my aura where pretty good with the old headunit because they are well matched-head unit power-->speakers etc, with my new kenwood though the speakers distort very easily so ive gone all out and ordered some components for the front and norm coaxials for the rear, with a 350w kenwood amp powering some 6x9's on the shelf! let you know how it goes!
Dan
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Just to let you know this is finished and how it went.
Found the ISO wiring adaptor locally in the end, and the aerial plug adaptor I needed. Amazed at the variation in prices for the adaptor. From £4 - £12 in different car shops, Halfords at the top end.
First I replaced door speakers with better mid/bass units. New ones have no treble unit in the middle, magnets are about 50% larger and they take about 30W(RMS) a side. Sound unchanged, slightly worse for lack of treble actually.
Then swapped my old but expensive Sony radio/cassette (15W[RMS]x4) in place of basic Citroen one (PF1?). Massive improvement in sound, even found some treble despite no tweeters.
Finally mounted expensive JBL tweeters at each end of dash and the sound is now really nice.
Overall though it shows, as others have said, that it is the original Citroen head unit that is the weak link. Odd because Xantias of the same age have decent ones.
Only real problem during the job was that I chose a tweeter position at the ends of the dash just below where the screen pillar comes down. Holes drilled OK to fix tweeters but drilling a slightly larger one through the dash so the wiring would be hidden was a bit of a problem. Forgot just behind here the warm air duct to the top of the side air vents is integral with the dash construction and I'd drilled into it. Only easy way out was to fit a longer drill and go out the other side of it so the last two inches of wire crosses through the duct and is "heated"!
Oh yes, and there is very little space around/behind the radio slot to lose a lot of wires so you have to be quite tidy.
Rarely is a stereo fitting job easy!
By the way David (VLL) I bet the Autoleads and Citroen slot adaptors are very similar. This Citroen one is cleverly made with the flip away cover but, as you say, it doesn't look that neat when the cover is flipped away.
David
crooser

Post by crooser »

DJ.i don't know if you have steering wheel controls for your radio but when i replaced my original xm radio for a sony unit i got all the neccessary cables on line from autoleads.they were delivered in three days and matched perfectly.i think the supplier was Edworthy.
colinhorsham
My Cars:

Post by colinhorsham »

Just on the off-chance anyone has any suggestions, the driver door speaker on my Xantia wasn't working when I bought it. I had a look at the speaker itself but I don't have the right tool to unscrew it.
Is this one of those common problems, or is it unique to my particular vehicle. And where do I get the right shaped screwdriver?
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Usually the speakers will outlast the car so it needs a look to see if it is a simple wiring fault or failed speaker.
If you have a Xantia for any time you'll need to invest in a modern "bit" set. For about £10 you will get a set with about 50 bits that fit on a screwdriver type handle, or often a .25" drive as well.
That'll fit everything you'll come across these days.
David