206cc 2.0 cam sensor

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 206cc 2.0 cam sensor

Post by CitroJim »

Indeed, John, logic says that if the hydraulic tappets are empty of oil they will cause massive clearances 'twixt cam and valve stem and the valves will only partially open at best... Unless that particular breed of hydraulic tappet works in a reverse sort of a fashion but I can't see exactly how...

One pair of inlet valves is sure to be open, even a little, whatever the position of the engine so oil disappearing from one port seems reasonable...

Bubbling and air escaping however is concerning...

A good old tow start has to be worth a try at this stage of the game... Nothing to loose at all...

This really is getting to be a right old puzzle...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

thanks Jim :)

it wasn't a pair, it was one of an inlet pair :twisted:

I now think I am just seeing wear and tear on the valve seats, maybe with a bit of muck holding them open..

Went to see the 207 down in Worthing, pricey but 68,000 miles on an 08 plate.. naughty owner / cousin of owner, thought it would be good to put some other car's service book in, and claim FSH..
otherwise 4 mismatched tyres, no evidence of mot advisories having been attended too, a binding brake and a slight misfire from the 1.6 hdi..

didn't buy it :rofl2:
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

jgra1 wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 17:34 it wasn't a pair, it was one of an inlet pair :twisted:
I'm afraid that's not looking good :(

It doesn't take much of a loss of compression to really upset a modern engine...

That was a bit of a cheeky poly to deceive on the 207 service history... You did well to walk away...

There's no shortage of good ones out there...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

There has been quite a bit of speculation and a few red herrings in this topic, perhaps it would be useful to give a new summary of the known facts and history, starting from when the engine last ran.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

good idea mike.

Here we go:
car is a 2000 2.0 206CC petrol, 108,000 miles. current faults are the speedo drops out often, and it uses oil somewhere.

2 weeks ago, car had about £30 of fuel from the local Morrisons, then just after, on a fairly flat road, SWIMBO changed a CD, and started an incline. The car was low on oil but no light on. There was no power and she crawled to a stop, car still running. she turned it off, I arrived and started it, it was popping from exhaust and the engine was rocking, it hardly ran, any request for throttle magnified the issues. It wouldn't move under its own power.

First diagnosis wasn't written down, planet said cylinder 1 coherence i think, then multiple cylinder misfiring, my other reader gave similar findings and included P0341

I then bought a new delphi cam sensor, which took an age to arrive.. in the meantime :
I tried many times to get accurate compression readings, and failed.. i am 99% sure that all cylinders have read a high value (around 10bar) at some point, but I cant replicate this. I have changed parts of the tester (extension tube or not) removed a second scraider valve that was interfering. I have put oil down two bores (1 and 4) and it was still there a day later..
I turned engine over with one plug in at a time, and only with plug #4 cambelt end, did it sound like compression was happening.

I have looked at the coilpack firing all plugs
I have tried a spare cam sensor I had lying around
I have injected air into all cylinders and found slight leakage from various valves (I am sure this is just old age)
I have removed the inlet manifold and just refitted.
I have contact sprayed every connector I have dismantled
I have charged the battery throughout.
I have twice checked cam timing, it is right on.
I have made sure the cams are turning ok, and the 4 prong cam signal thing is still there and correct.
I have fitted the new cam sensor.
I have seen that all inlet valves are opening the same amount as each other.
I cant see any evidence of HG failure

A recent diagnosis is upthread, but errors for coil pack firing have come up.

Just went to try and restart and still the same, smell of part burned fuel, small pops from the silencer, car wont start. basically nothing has changed.

I haven't tried an alternative fuel source
I cant see the exhaust valves
I can see into the bores and nothing to onerous in there
the plugs all just looked like rich running plugs
it doesn't run on easystart
Last edited by jgra1 on 08 Nov 2020, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Misfuel or contaminated fuel? Have you checked for this John. Perhaps a coincidence but then again.