smell of petrol

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichBmth
My Cars:

smell of petrol

Post by RichBmth »

This concerns a `98 Xantia 1.8 16v SX
I've owned the car for a year now and it has behaved itself wonderfully - the only problem I have with it is that, even since I first acquired it, there has more often than not been a smell of petrol in the cabin during the first few minutes after starting. Usually, the smell disappears after a mile or so and does not appear again on subsequent warm re-starts, however, just recently I have started to smell petrol on more frequent occasions, even when warm, and generally when idling in traffic jams etc. Would be grateful for any help or suggestions. Thanks, I've been a fan of the forum for a long while but have thus far been just a `watcher'! Rich.
fastred
My Cars:

Post by fastred »

Rich,
I had the same problem with the 2.0l 16V I used to own. It was due to petrol dripping very slowly from the rubber hose from the fuel pump where it connects to the injector system behind the cylinder head. This only seemed to happen on start-up, and would stop after the car had run for 30 seconds or so.
It took several goes to cure it. There is very little spare length in the hose, and after trying to remake the joint a few times with standard sealants I finally stopped the leak by using some Hylomar Blue aircraft-quality sealer. The fuel system runs at quite a high pressure, so that joints need to be perfect.
Have you tried peering around under the bonnet when the smell is apparent?
Fastred
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I agree, the fuel line where it connects to the fuel rail can be a problem & as pointed out, it runs at a fair pressure; up to 120 psi from memory according to the pump specs which when it's considered that an average tyre goes around 30 - 40 psi puts things into perspective.[:0]
Also remember that these things have a somewhat complicated breather system which has more than its share of plastic components and also run "O" rings on both the injector nozzles as well as the rail & once they hit about 6 or 7 years of age, can tend to get a bit on the hard side & can split.
They aren't an expensive item and I have two cars up my backyard both BX16Vs that have been written off due to under bonnet fires caused through split "O" rings.
Alan S
RichBmth
My Cars:

Post by RichBmth »

Thanks for your help. I'll have a look for leaks and if I can't sort it myself will get it into the garage - don't want a bonfire [V]