The Chain...make the next link

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

bobins
Donor 2020

Re: The Chain...make the next link

Post by bobins »

There's only one response I can make to that.....

"Didn't he do well" :-D

Last edited by bobins on 26 Jul 2020, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Post by mickthemaverick »

NewcastleFalcon wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 20:53
bobins wrote:
26 Jul 2020, 20:08
There is a link with this, but only in a mildly convoluted way.... but I have mentioned the link before :)
Lets not forget Bruce Forsythia resident of the parish for many years.

Regards Neil
Good job there's not a groan button next to the like one! :-D

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Groan.jpg
Groan.jpg (4.67 KiB) Viewed 98 times
Put it where it is most useful :)

NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

I will keep the chain moving with a first....an anagram So where does Virginia Water take us to.....well if I have it right

here Waitangi River.......North Island of New Zealand and by the look of the map quite isolated. The settlement of Waitangi was the location for an important part of New Zealand history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waitangi,_Northland
Waitangi is best known for being the location where the Treaty of Waitangi was first signed on February 6, 1840. It is also the place where the Declaration of Independence of New Zealand was signed five years earlier, on October 28, 1835. This document was ratified by the British Crown the following year (1836).
Queen Elizabeth II in Waitangi (December 1953)
Archives New Zealand / CC BY (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)

Regards Neil

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Now that brings back memories of my time with the csma nwl group. I used to be on the commitee and edit the newsletter, The Big End ( cos it was always knocking). One of our troubles every year was to arrange a Christmas meal as it always seemed impossible to find a day in December which everyone could make and we could find a big enough venue for! What's this mumbo jumbo got to do with The Chain I hear you cry.....well we solved our problem by deciding to move our annual meal to January until someone pointed out that we were all skint in January so we moved it to February for after we had had our January pay. As The Big End editor I was looking at a calender to pick the date to publish in the January edition when I noticed that 6th February was Waitangi Day so from that year onwards our annual meal became The Waitangi Day Feast and we celebrated that instead of Christmas. Introducing a Waitangi Autotest, a Waitangi 12 car rally and a Waitangi Treasure Hunt over the following 10 years!! :-D

NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote:
27 Jul 2020, 21:36
Now that brings back memories.....et cetera! :-D
Crikey there are forces at work which we dont comprehend at all, and which Einstein never even came close to recognising never mind explaining. Pure random coincidence...you have got to be joking!.........

Regards Neil

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Those forces are even more mysterious than you think. I was at a Waitangi Day Feast in 2006 when I met a lovely lady who made the evening far more enjoyable than I had been expecting!! She was reluctant to tell me about herself and my curiosity was roused by her accent. Eventually she came clean and admitted to being an immigrant, born in Auckland and stayed in the UK from 1973 after meeting her husband to be, ironically a Spaniard here on holiday, while on her 6 month tour of Europe with her friends in a VW Camper! She had married him and gained a British passport by virtue of her father who had been from Birmingham and emigrated to New Zealand after the war. They had a daughter together but by 2004 the waters had become too stormy and they divorced. Oddly enough she is now known to all of you as SWMBO!! :-D

NewcastleFalcon

Well I'll shift us a little from Waitangi and head for

https://www.tawhitimuseum.co.nz/

the link being New Zealand if nothing else although the museum does tell the story of New Zealand's history so there will be a direct link in the displays!

I stumbled across it in the considerable resources on the net devoted to the study of named bricks.
Regards Neil

NewcastleFalcon

In the vicinity of Hawena home to the Tawhiti Museum is thi amazing natural feature all the more impressive in this image from NASA. Mount Taranaki

NEO egmont big
See page for author / Public domain

Regards Neil

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

SWMBO advises me that the image is Mount Egmont in Taranaki and overlooks New Plymouth where she was born!! I'm not going to argue!! :-D

NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:14
SWMBO advises me that the image is Mount Egmont in Taranaki and overlooks New Plymouth where she was born!! I'm not going to argue!! :-D
Its having a name change according to wiki and is known currently as either Mont Egmont as named by Captain Cook or Mount Taranaki. There aren't two of them!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Taranaki
It appeared as Mount Egmont on maps until 29 May 1986, when the Minister of Lands ruled that "Mount Taranaki" would be an alternative and equal official name.[13] The Egmont name still applies to the national park that surrounds the peak and geologists still refer to the peak as the Egmont Volcano.[14]

As part of the treaty settlement with Ngā Iwi o Taranaki the mountain shall be officially called Taranaki Maunga from some time in 2020.
Regards Neil

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

Thanks Neil, I'll pass that on and see if I get any brownie points or have to do the washing up!! :-D

NewcastleFalcon

mickthemaverick wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:50
Thanks Neil, I'll pass that on and see if I get any brownie points or have to do the washing up!! :-D
Dont go for a confrontation Mick, encourage a contribution :-D ....a first hand snippet of random information seeing as we are there or thereabouts to her birthplace would be a great coup for the thread!

regards Neil

NewcastleFalcon

Still in New Zealand so I'll get my ruler out

Never been to New Zealand, or bought a "New Zealand Timbers" ruler at a gift shop, so I guess it must have been sent over by my Grandma's lifelong pen pal. Grandma always had every year a New Zealand Calendar hanging up in her home.

I got the ruler out this afternoon....yes there have been recent discussions about finding pencils, but I was struggling to lay my hands on a ruler then I remembered this one in the sideboard drawer.
New Zealand Timbers<br />Product of Wanganui
New Zealand Timbers
Product of Wanganui
So product of Wanganui.....where in New Zealand is that? Have to go and find out, but for now the chain takes us from the province of Taranaki to Wanganui....I am taking a wild punt its not in Taranaki.

Regards Neil

mickthemaverick
Donor 2019

I'm advised that Wanganui is south east along the coast from New Plymouth in Taranaki and is in Manawatu-Wanganui.!! :-D