Swap RD45 to Android?

This section is for information and posts relating to Audio Head Units, and Navigation Systems

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

GF1969
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 3008 2012 Diesel.
BX diesel Estate 1989. TXD
205 diesel 1988 (in storage)
2003 MG ZT diesel
1970 Daimler DS420 Limousine

Swap RD45 to Android?

Post by GF1969 »

I'm simply looking for dab but was wondering if something like this is doable or is it going to be a ball ache?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/9-RADIO-NAVI ... Sw--9eJhYL
Am I better off using something like this and keeping the standard setup?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ALPINE-E ... OSwM0hd4Qa~

Obviously the second option is cheaper and the first option has way more features than I'd ever use but I'm not a fan of 'stuck on' extras, I prefer built in stuff that looks like it was meant to be there. Or an I missing a simpler solution (I.e is there a factory dab i can slot in and activate in diagbox?)

Thank you!
Nothing in life is free...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Swap RD45 to Android?

Post by xantia_v6 »

Beware that most Android head units are not compatible with the CAN bus in your car, and you may lose the use of the steering wheel controls, and also functions of the central display that are normally controlled via the radio buttons (vehicle lighting options, clock setting, etc.).

I have seen this video (see especially from 17 minutes in) showing a head unit which is (or was) can bus compatible, so you should ask some questions before purchasing.

elcustardo
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Picasso C4 VTR+ 1.8 petrol: Deceased
C5 VTR+ 1.8 Petrol

Post by elcustardo »

Im awaiting delivery of an android HU for my C5 X7. Should be here this week.
Much in the vein of the one xantia_v6 posted,its 'designed' for the specific model. In the C5s case a separate head unit and screen.
Should have it installed this week to feedback how it works with canbus,steering controls etc.
In my case its replacing an RD4
oli_25_uk
My Cars:

Post by oli_25_uk »

Did you get anywhere with this? I'm contemplating a Joying HU because they claim a canbus adaptor that works with parking sensors.

The only thing stopping me is that I don't want to loose the parking space measurement feature - actually really useful!

Oli
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I just got parking sensors working with Joying after one faulty sensor changed. It seems a bit "slow" at first, but I have to test it more extensively. Also haven´t yet seen front sensors working with Joying, but I might have settings wrong for that.