Coping With Covid

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Coping With Covid

Post by Stickyfinger »

Paul-R wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 13:40
myglaren wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 13:27You are Dan Dare and I claim my 5 dubloons.
Anyone willing to put themselves up as The Mekon?
Well I would think he has green spheres !
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Seems a "minority" of people are ignoring the distancing measures and the not congregating directive, then again technically 49,9% is a minority.
Oh buggle
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

Then let's hope they watch and listen to their sovereign tonight at 8pm!! :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
doctle

Post by doctle »

mickthemaverick wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 17:40 Then let's hope they watch and listen to their sovereign tonight at 8pm!! :)
They might if they get home from the beach by 8!
Oh buggle
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

PPE?
EUwvP52U8AAjTDW.jpg
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Is that Plant Pot Envelopment?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Take your own air with you....safety before fashion !
Attachments
92470745_530914577858433_3963786216096137216_n.jpg
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

I am hoping that everyone joins me in wishing the Prime Minister a speedy recovery from this dreadful virus that has turned our lives upside down. Having been treated for my kidney stones some 30 years ago at St Thomas' Hospital I am gladdened to know that he is in the very best place to get the best care available. No matter what your politics please keep all of the victims and their families in your thoughts in the difficult times ahead.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Moderator note:
Three posts have been deleted here, for reasons of being essentially political.
Fine line here between discussion of current issues, and pointed criticism, which has its place, but not here.
Chris
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I sit here with a 89 year old who will be left to die if she gets this because of her dementia and her age, it is my actions alone that will either kill my Mother or save my Mother at this time, there is no other barrier to this other than myself and my actions ~ Quite frankly I am f-ing terrified for her. My mother WILL die alone surrounded by face masks and green gowns, only two people will be able to say goodbye if that fate awaits.

The responsibility I hold is ultimate, I have never felt such pressure before.

One handshake, one idiot who met their mate for a quick drink round their place and who decides to go shopping with a temperature 5 days later etc etc can and has killed people and given the ultimate grief to many.
It has taken young and old, the fit and the sick, rich or poor, it is indiscriminate, it cares nothing about your or my politics nor the ones you love or hold dear.

I hope for many things in life but for now I wish only the best health for ALL and their loved ones.

Boris being ill may have one benefit in that it (I hope) it will focus everybody that we ALL have that responsibility for ALL of us. It is not the another persons, any Politician or Nurse nor Doctor, it is not anybody's responsibility other than OURS/YOURS to protect everybody.

The country needs to back our leaders and everybody else in the whole system because it is that system that will reduce the effect of this nasty little bug, remember WE ALL are part of that system.

Good luck and get well soon Boris, good luck and stay safe all of you.
Last edited by Stickyfinger on 07 Apr 2020, 09:05, edited 2 times in total.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
doctle

Post by doctle »

Stickyfinger I send you and your mother my best wishes and hope you can both get through this crises. Your heartfelt post should be on the front of every newspaper and on the social media the young people follow. I too hope Boris makes a full recovery and yes this is the time for everyone to pull together. I'm not political no axes to grind,
I thought the Queen gave one of her best speeches ever this weekend. I know a lot of people ignored government advice I hope they listened to her, she has seen a lot in her lifetime.
The solution is simple, isolate and wash your hands. It's like cutting off oxygen to a fire.
Oh buggle
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

You have my sympathy Alasdair, I had a reasonably similar situation six weeks ago when my missus was diagnosed with cancer and had surgery scheduled. I had to keep her safe, keep myself safe (in case I passed it on to her) and keep the boy safe. If she'd got it, it would be nasty, and they'd cancel her surgery. If I got it I could give it to her, or maybe I'd have to isolate while she was in hospital which would be interesting, or not be able to look after our lad when she came out..

Very very stressful indeed. Good luck sir.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

and to you and yours mate, stay strong it is all we can do....more power to you to gather the needed physical and mental strength over the next --months ahead--- to get you, your loved ones and us all past this.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

It would appear that a post I made earlier today has upset a lot of people, and I have been warned because of this. I am not going to complain about the warning, but I am not going to apologise for that post either. I am going to explain it, and also (using information freely available on the Internet) illustrate what I believe is going on in the World right now (at the time of writing; 17:10 on 07/04/2020). Please will you, before complaining about or deleting this post, read it thoroughly, check (should you wish to do so) the facts I am presenting (and if I have made any honest mistakes I offer my sincere apologies for that), and then consider what to do.

I was not wishing Mr Johnson ill will (with the first part of my post), although I do admit that it appears I was. I was wishing that the Prime Minister personally experience what thousands of people around the World are experiencing right now, and then made a full recovery. I would have said this regardless of WHO was the Prime Minister; it just happened that Mr Johnson is the current Prime Minister (I actually like Mr Johnson, although I am not sure I trust him). With the second part of my post I was being optimistic (I believe it started something like “Then, when the essential services come to negotiate their pay...”. I did NOT say “Then, if the essential services...”).

I initially (when COVID 19 was being reported) was thinking something like “What is the fuss about?”. I believed it to be, effectively, similar to influenza. I suspect a lot of us were thinking something similar. However, once the numbers started to climb I got concerned (and now, reading what I can find on the Internet, I am frankly terrified). There is a website that shows the COVID 19 statistics from around the world. If you wish to look it up I will post the link, but please understand that the information is very worrying.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I have (since 26th March) been copying the data into a spreadsheet. I do not have the figures before that date, but they may be available if you dig around a bit. The number of Worldwide REPORTED cases (in other words, when somebody has been tested and had a positive indication; people who are not tested are obviously not reported, so will not be recorded in the stats) has been doubling every 7 days or so. This means that (starting from 3rd April 2020, when there were about 1,000,000 reported cases) it will, if nothing happens to affect the rate of progression, take less than 15 weeks until every person on the World is infected.

Starting from 26th March the Worldwide mortality rate (for the closed cases; survived/died) has also been increasing. On 26th March it was at 16%. Today it is 21%. This means that (if the infection rate continues but the mortality rate were to remain static; but there is no reason to assume the latter will happen) 21% of the World population will die directly because of COVID 19 (and I do not include indirect deaths such as the toddler who is wondering what is happening while lying next to the body of their single parent who died from COVID 19, the bedridden person who is dying because there is nobody left to care for them, etc,). 21% of the World population at this time is around 1.56 billion people.

Fortunately I also know that some of these stats are wrong, as countries are not properly reporting the numbers. For example, the number of people in the UK who have recovered from COVID 19 has remained static at 135 since 26th March (remember, I don’t have the numbers before that date), but I know that this must have increased (as the Health Minister Mr Hancock has recovered from COVID 19 after 26th March, but his recovery has not been added to the recovered case stats). Because of this other stats are badly skewed. If it WERE true (and taking the number of deaths in the UK into account) the mortality rate in the UK is 97.55% (as currently 6,159 people have died in the UK). If the World stats are true, this means that if my Mother, my three brothers and I were to all contract COVID 19 one of us is GOING to die. If the UK stats are true (and I KNOW they are not) all five of us WILL die.

I saw my Mother today (I am doing her shopping for her; as she lives on a boat not moored at a marina it is not possible to arrange deliveries to her). She is also worried about what is going on. She made me promise that, should she contract COVID 19 and need to be ventilated, I would tell the medical profession that should there be a younger person in a similar situation, and there is a lack of ventilators, the younger person be ventilated and she be allowed to die. I have promised her I would do this, but it is an incredibly painful thought.

I am classified as a key worker (I am active, although 60% of my colleagues have been furloughed). I personally consider myself far less important than the cleaner who sweeps the corridor of the local hospital, the clerk who orders the supplies for the Police, or the delivery driver who is bringing the food to the supermarkets. All I am doing is maintaining IT/EPoS equipment so six of our clients (who ARE classified as essential services) can continue to operate. Nevertheless, I am getting to see what is going on (when I am heading out to fix a problem). I can see where people are being really helpful (such as the supermarket staff who are opening their stores so we can get essential supplies, the delivery drivers (including post men and post women) who are getting things out to us, the bin men who are collecting our rubbish, and so on (and each and every one of those people are doing this because they are compassionate and understand why these tasks (and countless others) have to be done)). I have also seen thoughtless idiots out there (such as the group of youths larking around and preventing other people from getting past safely, the people who go for a picnic down on the beach, and the fools who, on being TOLD to go home by the Police, are refusing to do so, are arguing and invading the personal space of the Police Officers) who are endangering others by their actions (on the news just now a person has been jailed for threatening Police saying he will cough at them).

It breaks my heart whenever I hear about the frontline people who have died while trying to help others who are very sick. It made me cry when the young nurse told about the elderly man (who had bumped into her car) who was convinced he had COVID 19, hadn’t eaten in days, and had to go out to get food (she stayed with him all the way to the hospital, but (when asked by the reporter) had to inform us that he had died from COVID 19 a few hours later), or when the news reported the case of the nurse who died within a few days of testing positive (she had been working with very sick patients, knowing that this was dangerous to her health, but carrying on despite this), leaving three children. It seriously worries me when they say they do not have enough resources to help them do their job properly and protect them adequately, but despite that they are carrying on caring for others.

Something new that has worried me is that cats appear to be able to contract COVID 19 (several of the big cats at the Bronx Zoo have tested positive). At this time there is no evidence that humans can then contract COVID 19 from cats, but I cannot see a reason for this not to be the case. If felines can carry/transmit COVID 19 this means that there is an unexpected way humans can be infected. What if other animals are also vulnerable? What if canines can catch/transmit COVID 19?

I do not believe this will be over soon. The medical profession cannot cure more than a few percent of the viruses we are susceptible to. All they can do is to support the patient as best they can while the immune system tries to eradicate the virus from the body (and I am NOT demeaning the medical profession here; their ‘all’ is incredible). It will take many months to come up with a viable vaccine (a vaccine that stops the patient from contracting COVID 19 but causes serious damage to, for example, the heart is not a viable vaccine).

I am NOT being a pessimist. If I were I would give up, vanish into a hole, and probably take my own life (as there would be no point in carrying on). I am, rather, an optimistic realist. I can see (with the information available to me) what appears to be going on in the World, but I believe that, with all of the available resources being thrown at COVID 19 finding a cure and a vaccine will be successful. We can all, in our own way, help to make this happen. For those of us who do not need to go out, PLEASE don’t. For those of us who are helping to keep the essential machinery going, keep up the good work.

Please be careful, everybody, and I sincerely hope to see you all WHEN (not IF) this is over.
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 07 Apr 2020, 20:19, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

James, that is a reasoned and thought-provoking piece, and I'm grateful to have been able to read it. It sets out some possible trajectories for the epidemic, and adds insight into the human cost too.
It does stand in something of contrast to your now deleted earlier post, which, although a viewpoint which many folk would endorse, did come across as just overtly political.
A reasoned argument is always welcome here.
Chris