Hello and help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Julian,
I'm not saying 100% avoid VSXs, but be aware they have extra twiddly bits on the suspension and many posts here on hard riding Xantia's involve VSX models.
It depends how strongly you want the benefits of the model.
In the past I've gone as far as saying even avoid the SX unless you are willing to put up with the ABS issues on that model and above. My view has changed a little in that I've happily lived with ABS on my SX for over three years...it's even worked for about half that time!
David
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I've gone from an LX to a VSX (both early anti-sink ones) and find the VSX does have a slightly harder ride, but it has also gone from 14" to 15" wheels - this makes the ride a little harsher in itself. Someone with the sphere figures may be able to tell if the 3 HA2 spheres should make a harder or softer ride than 2 LX/SX ones...
As a comparison, spent the weekend driving around in an L reg Cavalier CD (works hack - 210k and still goes); same amount of toys, but i thought the tyres (14"...) were flat given the ride! A VSX Xantia is still an excellent ride compared to its contemporary rivals and also out-handles the lot of 'em! I understand that the worst that can happen to a VSX is that you go around in Hard mode all the time.
BTW, my LX had electric windows electric sunroof, but manual mirrors and no ABS (plus a non-functioning airbag). Went quicker than the new VSX, but also returned 10mpg less for some strange reason...
julian2002

Post by julian2002 »

thanks for the explaination. i seem to be on the right track looking for an sx.
cheers
julian
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by philhoward</i>

I understand that the worst that can happen to a VSX is that you go around in Hard mode all the time.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That happens to non-hydractive Xantiae too when the spheres are duff, just the hyrdractives have additional "mechanisms" to allow it to happen.