John's Greek C5

Tell us your ongoing tales and experiences with your French car here. Post pictures of your car here as well.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

johnnyj

Re: John's Greek C5

Post by johnnyj »

It didn't go well today. The first scrap yard had a weird system where they took down a list from me of the things I needed - saying the car wasn't on this actual site - and said they would call me back. Needless to say they haven't.

A second place recommended by my mate Kostas actually had a scrapped C5 of correct vintage right outside. I told them what I wanted, whereupon the owner quoted me €160 and told me to come back tomorrow. I won't be going back, rather, I'll find the parts online.

Onwards and upwards!

John

johnnyj

Mirror

Post by johnnyj »

I have found a possible mirror source at www.car.gr. Anyone know if the folding, adjustable mirrors are in any way coded for the car, or can they simply be swapped/plug & play?

Thanks

John

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Depending on the trim level of the car there can be different electric functions in the mirror, and left hand drive mirrors are usually different from RHD (at least the mirror glass, but sometimes the electrical components).

At least you should check that the number of wires on each connector is the same.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes the door stations are also different (Passenger and Driver) dependent on functions.

johnnyj

Post by johnnyj »

Thanks Marc and Xantia, appreciate it.

John
Last edited by johnnyj on 15 Feb 2020, 18:41, edited 1 time in total.

johnnyj

Interior Lights

Post by johnnyj »

My car has developed a new fault, which is exciting here in rainy Crete.

After washing it a few days ago, the front and rear interior lights came on of their own accord, and wouldn't switch off. This was whilst driving. When the engine was switched off, the LCD display in the centre of the car and the interior lights were kind of pulsing in unison.

I mentioned the rain, well today it bucketed down and again, while driving along, the interior lights came on and wouldn't go off. Getting out of the car, the pulsing thing started again. After locking up, the weirdness stops after around the same time the interior light would normally dim down.

The water of course could be a red herring, but maybe something is getting damp/wet.

Anyway, a picture paints a thousand words and a video a million, so here it is.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I see your centre display pulsing in unison too.

I have noticed that mine will light up a bit in low-light conditions, long before the automatic headlights light up.

Maybe the light sensor or associated electronics flooded?

johnnyj

Post by johnnyj »

Could be, Steve. Do you know where the light sensor is located?

John

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

Behind the mirror - muck on the screen (outside) can affect it but more probably if it comes loose and gets muck or moisture inside it can be badly affected. It may not be rain but condensation triggering it - I will say though that it is a long shot - do your automatic lights work as they should? If so I would be hesitant about poking around with the sensor as they are delicate and not too easy to re-fit if removed.

johnnyj

Horn

Post by johnnyj »

Being a road user in Crete is an "interesting" experience, with all sorts of hazards to watch out for. Pick-up trucks belching disel fumes; pick-up trucks shedding their bodywork as you drive behind them; pick-up trucks disguised as bushes (as we've seen).

Single mopeds being ridden by dad, mum, gran, child and dog at the same time; cars driving at break-neck speed on the wrong side of the road, on twisty mountain bends; cars stopping anywhere in front of you, with no prior warning, so their owners can chat to a neighbour. Plus, the levels of intoxication can be rather high after the local village weddings, so it is best not to go on the roads at all when there has been a big celebration nearby and the local raki has run dry.

However, one endearing characteristic is the use of the horn. Put simply, it is used universally as a greeting. As a pedestrian, I regularly find myself tooted at by a passing (you guessed it) pick-up truck/bush, and after wondering what I did wrong I realise it is Andreas or Yiannis or one of a thousand Kostas just saying hi.

Michalis, who lives in my village, toots when coming back from the shops so that his wife is ready to help bring in the groceries. He normally starts the practice from outside the supermarket, which is 2 kilometres from here. Manos, another friend, toots at the deceased inhabitants of the village grave yard as he passes.

I now toot, too. I toot a friendly salute to people I know as they stand at the side of the road, chatting; I toot at cars passing me from the other direction; tooting as I pass a local taverna is a must (I can't see inside it, or indeed if it is even open but I say hello with a toot to anyone inside who knows me all the same. This is perfectly normal.) and I always toot at Kostas ("Benzini") who runs the petrol station, because he always toots me, wherever I am.

So imagine my horror today when I went to toot Kostas as I passed the petrol station and nothing happened. Not a peep. I pressed the horn button again, still nothing. Fearing that Kostas would perceive this as a snub, I got ever more frantic: pressing harder, pressing in different places, short presses, long presses. Nothing would make it work. Not wanting to lose face, I briefly considered winding down the window and shouting "toot-toot" at him, but it was too late - I had passed the place, and Kostas, having failed to honour the custom.

So, that's a long preamble into my latest Citroen C5 problem. I have checked the fuse, which is fine, and that's about it. I can't physically find the horn(s?) to see if any wires have become disconnected, so I am at a loss. I wonder if anyone has any thoughts.

On a positive note, it hasn't rained recently so my interior lights and LCD display are behaving normally. :-D

myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

The horns hide behind the left hand side of the bumper, below the headlight.
Loads of fun getting to them.
Only one of mine works, the other's plug smashed driving over a kerb at 70mph :(

It could also be the switch contacts. I think the horn button is in the center of the steering wheel - i can never find it when I need it but I'm sure you know where it is. If it is it may be the dreaded clockspring wiring at fault. Accessing that is no better than the horn units and care must be taken with the airbag that lives in there.

I'd bodge it and buy one of these: -
14inch-straight-narrow-squeeze-horn2.jpg
:twisted:

johnnyj

Further road hazards when driving a C5 in Crete, Greece.

Post by johnnyj »

Getting ready for Easter, I suspect!

johnnyj

Re: Horn

Post by johnnyj »

Good news! The horn started working again. I had decided to take off the steering wheel centre pad thing (including airbag) with a view to cleaning up the horn switch. I put a screwdriver into the two slots at the rear of the wheel to remove the pad, but that action alone appeared to re-seat the centre pad and hey presto, we have sound again. Now I can toot at people. Hurrah!

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

Congratulations on having a car with a combined horn push/airbag that enables you to "toot" at all, in my experience, they provide no control, so it's a full blooded blast or nothing. The only exception was the Maruti I used in India - perhaps significantly, another horn happy country.