C5 dual mass clutch v solid flywheel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: C5 dual mass clutch v solid flywheel

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Actually, they have increased their offerings lately - as some years ago when I was researching this for myself, there was no kit for one of my C5s - but I have their latest catalogue and see now that they have now got KIT4Ps for a good number of X7 engines too. I do like the 1,000,000 KM guarantee offered (on the solid flywheel component of the kit only), but obviously doesn't cover any damage to other components.

So has to be a personal choice really.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

That was exactly what was confirmed to me, Paul, in a phone conversation with Valeo applications/sales when I had to do the job here. Went for a Blueprint kit, which is still in the car, and done 114,000km and 10½ years.

Not too much of a risk guaranteeing the solid flywheel for 1M miles. Would be expecting one of those to do many, many times that! #-o
jsp

Post by jsp »

Luk has failed many times. I try to avoid at all costs. Anyway I have one car that is converted to SMF the only thing is the juddering at low speed otherwise it drives the same as a DMF.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That would concern me! Juddering has to equal stress. Which brand kit did you use - was it a Valeo conversion kit out of interest?
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

...and which car was it?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

And was the juddering while operating the clutch, or just driving in gear at low (how low?) RPM?
jamescarruthers
Donor 2021

Post by jamescarruthers »

The previous owner had a SMF installed on her C5 2.2 in place of the original DMF.

I think that the clutch is very snatchy upon taking up drive in 1st gear. You get used to it but it’s shock when I get in and go!

I always put this down to the SMF being a bad idea but one of you said you couldn’t notice the difference. Maybe she just has a poorly engine or gearbox mount?

I would love the SMF to not be installed but it’s not really economically viable to reinstall the DMF.

Any advise on the engine mounts?
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

No intrinsic reason why a good SMF clutch should operate any differently from a normal (non-dual mass) clutch, because that's what they are.
Many of the SMF kits come from leading manufacturers such as Valeo, Blueprint, Borg+Beck, etc.
The friction plate on them is straightforwardly replaced, like any other clutch.
Could be that the mechanism has become 'sticky', and may need a judicious squirt (eg one of our more Junior members) or just checking out mechanically.

The DMF we had here (RAV4, Toyota OE) never provided decent clutch control, especially on gradual or hill starts. The Blueprint replacement (after two failed Toyota ones) restored clutch control completely.
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I just can't see where all that torsional stress is going to end up and just can't see how a Single Flywheel conversion can possibly dissipate it all. It's what put me off, so stuck with the DMF and it has been perfect as long as you aren't a caravaner or tower! :)
Gibbo2286
Donor 2020

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Maybe the webinar will be worth watching for answers.
There's also on their site a downloadable catalogue library.

https://www.valeoservice.co.uk/en-uk/catalogs