Public and Commercial Transport

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Re: Public and Commercial Transport

Post by Ross_K »

Dormouse wrote: 09 Dec 2022, 11:31 Tesla have issued a video of one of its Semi Rigs doing a 500 mile journey on one charge saying that if it wasn't for the hills on the route it would have been nearer 600 miles.

There is a lot of negativity online about Tesla trucks. I just can't sort out how much is purely aimed at Elon Musk and how much will be true.
I think there's a lot of negativity about Tesla in general, a lot of it rightly deserved by the company itself..and Musk, the "great showman", who you absolutely cannot take at his word.

Parts availability is one thing that comes to mind. Saw a guy on YouTube the other day who was told by Tesla that windscreens for whichever model he had were on backorder, and were due in about six (!) months. There are similar stories about the big screen in the console which controls heating, audio, etc.

I wonder how many haulage companies could afford to take a truck off the road for months while they wait for something as simple as a windscreen?

In Europe Scania already have electric models on the market (albeit with a 350km range), but I think most potential electric truck buyers would go with a known player and an established service network: https://www.scania.com/group/en/home/pr ... truck.html
ImageImage
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Scania like most of the European vehicle industry is just another branch of the Volkswagen Group, do MAN trucks another VW co. also have an EV model?
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

MAN have electric trucks too, and a nice website where you can calculate the range per model

https://www.man.eu/de/en/truck/range-ca ... check.html

London-Glasgow (659km) is do-able with one charging stop apparently
Screenshot 2023-01-01 at 18.49.10.png
ImageImage
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Out on my bike today and I saw a meeting of the local steam roller owners club in session at a pub :D

Had a quick chat with them :)
20230408_133933.jpg
20230408_133901.jpg
20230408_133834.jpg
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I could do with having one of those run up and down my front lawns Jim.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 09 Apr 2023, 10:00 I could do with having one of those run up and down my front lawns Jim.
:lol: That would work a treat... Condensate from the boilers would water them too :)

We could do with them to fix a few potholes around these parts after they've sorted your lawn Robin ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Take a 14-mile trip on an autonomous Scottish bus starting next month
Travelers looking to get from Fife to Edinburgh will soon have a new transport option: a fleet of five autonomous buses set to begin operating in Scotland on a 14-mile route this May.

Running from Ferrytoll Park and Ride near the Forth Road Bridge to the Edinburgh Park Transport Interchange, the bus route is claimed to be the first registered autonomous bus operation in the UK. On the 14-mile route the buses will travel up to 50 miles per hour in mixed traffic, and will have the capacity for around 10,000 passenger journeys per week.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

That's not to say passengers on the CAVForth route will find themselves on a bus without an operator - quite the opposite: There will be two staff members on board to handle operation of the autonomous vehicle. We note that old-fashioned human-driven buses typically only require a single person to operate.

For the foreseeable future, the autonomous buses will operate with a safety driver up front monitoring the technology, and a "captain" in the passenger cabin "to take tickets and answer customers questions," CAVForth said. :-D
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 10:23 A month or so in the doldrums but there are always news stories and links to provide content for this thread.
From the pages of Electrive.com always a decent source for news stories on such matters
MAN decides against developing Euro-7 buses

Bus manufacturer MAN will not invest in Euro 7 technology and instead will only have zero-emission buses in its portfolio for cities and municipalities from 2030.
Fleet news is also a decent source of the latest in public and commercial transport, increasingly its pages are "electrifying".

At random
Openreach deal for 8,500 charge points to help electrify fleet vehicles

https://www.commercialfleet.org/news/ne ... t-vehicles
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

This always seems to be in the same position, few cobwebs appearing, but I reckon its still a viable vehicle.
Always makes a nice picture.
Falcon Original
Falcon Original
Falcon Original
Falcon Original
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I like a light commercial...
Lovely badgery<br />falcon original
Lovely badgery
falcon original
Nearly horizontal steering wheel, nice in white with the red centre badge<br />falcon original
Nearly horizontal steering wheel, nice in white with the red centre badge
falcon original
The whole shebang<br />falcon original
The whole shebang
falcon original
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

They're iconic Neil :)
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

A brief mention was made here about a variant of the Austin/Morris/BMC/Leyland FG light commercial.

viewtopic.php?p=761892#p761892

This was the ordinary FG this one in Chip Van guise, by Robert Knight on Flickr

Image107 Austin FG Fish + Chip Van (1967) by Robert Knight, on Flickr

Scroll Down and Robert has an excellent description to read. In which he also mentions the FM variant which was supplied almost exclusively to Post-Office Telephones in the UK...The engine was placed further forward giving the FG a "nose" or Bonnet! Only one image on the net that I have found, not available for embedding but worth a look at the
link... Post Office Telephones FM Van
https://flic.kr/p/DXAeUL
Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Love that! I now fancy some fish and chips - without chips!
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

A link from Robert Knight's pic led to this group on flickr which also has a handful of images of the FM, this one has an embed code to share for a bulletin board.

ImageBMC FM by teapotcircus, on Flickr

Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey